Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #196
jauniaux
jauniaux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Hello,

My parents just gave me their kindle which seems to be bricked (problem during update ? i don't know ...)
When rebooted, the kindle4NT shows a screen "DIAGS FAILED" and 'send device to rework'.
I tried to put it in fastboot mode (fastboot bundle install), but it just go back to main menu of the diags mode and reboots back in diags mode (enters movinand test and then the message diags failed)
I also tried USBnet but the computer doesn't recognise it ?

For info, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. with USBnet, I cannot configure usb0 (device not found)

What am I doing wrong ?
Thanks, and sorry if this has already been answered. I've been searching for a week now
jauniaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #197
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauniaux View Post
Hello,

My parents just gave me their kindle which seems to be bricked (problem during update ? i don't know ...)
When rebooted, the kindle4NT shows a screen "DIAGS FAILED" and 'send device to rework'.
I tried to put it in fastboot mode (fastboot bundle install), but it just go back to main menu of the diags mode and reboots back in diags mode (enters movinand test and then the message diags failed)
I also tried USBnet but the computer doesn't recognise it ?

For info, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. with USBnet, I cannot configure usb0 (device not found)

What am I doing wrong ?
Thanks, and sorry if this has already been answered. I've been searching for a week now
The "diags failed" just means that somebody ran diagnostics and did not answer "yes" to some of the questions. It does not necessarily mean that there was a hardware problem.

Fastboot mode should work, unless you did not press the correct key to confirm you selection.

Because the K4 models are new, did you check to see if amazon will send a free replacement?

It is possible (but unlikely) that there could be a real hardware problem.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #198
davidampuero
davidampuero began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
k4 in frozen mode

im new in this jailbreaking world and yerterday y try to put the custum screen saver in my k4, i dont know for sure what i did wrong but now my kindle its FROZEN in the main screen that says:

tequila - system diags
s) device settings
o) operator test suite
r) run in test

etc.

the problem is i cant use de arrows to go down or up in the menu o enter with the middle buttom. and the computer dont recognizes as a device.

so please i really need help, havent here about no one with this trouble.
davidampuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #199
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidampuero View Post
im new in this jailbreaking world and yerterday y try to put the custum screen saver in my k4, i dont know for sure what i did wrong but now my kindle its FROZEN in the main screen that says:

tequila - system diags
s) device settings
o) operator test suite
r) run in test

etc.

the problem is i cant use de arrows to go down or up in the menu o enter with the middle buttom. and the computer dont recognizes as a device.

so please i really need help, havent here about no one with this trouble.
Try using MfgTool (in the first post in this thread) to boot to main. Tell us what results you get when you try that.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #200
davidampuero
davidampuero began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Try using MfgTool (in the first post in this thread) to boot to main. Tell us what results you get when you try that.
i all ready try to do that using msf tool, the problem with my device its it not respond, my pc dosent read it and the butons doesnt work.
it is only in the diagnostics menu and thats it.
davidampuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #201
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Sorry if this has been answered, but I have looked for the answer everywhere and did not find it: is it possible to select fastboot from a Linux environment (with no access to Windows)? Does Mfgtool exist for Linux?

Thanks.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #202
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes.
No, not until someone ports the GUI or turns it into a command line application.
(The sources of Mfgtool are public.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #203
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes.
No, not until someone ports the GUI or turns it into a command line application.
(The sources of Mfgtool are public.)
Thanks for your answer. Must be blind, I only found windows versions. So could you please give me links to the procedure and source files? Thank you in advance.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #204
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
Thanks for your answer. Must be blind, I only found windows versions. So could you please give me links to the procedure and source files? Thank you in advance.
They are published on the FreeScale web-site. You might have to register (free) to get yourself a copy. (I think the title was: "Advanced Manufacturing Tool")

The source is "Windows Only" - it needs to be edited (ported) to *nix.
Most of the work will be in re-writing for a non-Window GUI.
A nice target for the re-write would be: wxWidgets
http://www.wxwidgets.org/
Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #205
zeb
Connoisseur

Quote:
They are published on the FreeScale web-site. You might have to register (free) to get yourself a copy. (I think the title was: "Advanced Manufacturing Tool")

The source is "Windows Only" - it needs to be edited (ported) to *nix.
Most of the work will be in re-writing for a non-Window GUI.
A nice target for the re-write would be: wxWidgets
http://www.wxwidgets.org/
Indeed, or Qt. Is there a link for the Linux binaries too?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #206
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Indeed, or Qt. Is there a link for the Linux binaries too?
wxWidgets.org -> Downloads -> Stable Release -> Binaries
Answer: Pre-built in Debian and Ubuntu archives.

You can manually install binaries from the *.deb package;
HowTo is indexed from the forum sticky above.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #207
geekmaster

I tested MfgTool in Wine. I runs, but it cannot see any USB devices. Research showed that Wine (as shipped) does not support "Windows-style" USB devices. There was an experimental Wine patch I found that was SUPPOSED to add USB support, but I was not able to get it to work.

I run MfgTool on my linux mint host PC by running it in an XP VM in VirtualBox. That lets me swap the USB port between windows and linux WITHOUT interfering with the USB connection, so I can set fastboot mode in the windows VM, the tell VirtualBox to release the port so linux sees it, then use linux fastboot to flash partitions on my kindle.

For most people, it would be easier to stay in windows and use the win32 fastboot, but that requires libusb-win32 installed and properly configured for your kindle.

Instead of porting MfgTool to linux, there is a simpler smaller command-line tool (sb_loader) that also support USB Downloader mode. I was not able to get the freescale version working (yifanlu said that he got it working, but he did not share "how to" details AFAIK). I got a linux version (for RockBox) "almost" working.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-15-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #208
zeb
Connoisseur

Ah ok, thanks a lot. But I saw you mentioning a fastboot in command line, so I guess that is the Debian package?
I think I found the source and binaries , called: i.MX23 Manufacturing Tool and IMX_MFG_TOOL_SOURCE . I see there is also a I.MX28_MFG_TOOL_LINUX, is that suitable?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #209
geekmaster

Quote:
Ah ok, thanks a lot. But I saw you mentioning a fastboot in command line, so I guess that is the Debian package?
I think I found the source and binaries , called: i.MX23 Manufacturing Tool and IMX_MFG_TOOL_SOURCE . I see there is also a I.MX28_MFG_TOOL_LINUX, is that suitable?
There is NOT an MfgTool for linux. It is a large comprehensive tool for manufacturer installation and testing of new kindles, and it is very Win32-specific (many winapi calls). It would be VERY difficult to port.

As I suggested, sb_loader provides the small part that we need, but I was not able to successfully run a custom linux kernel (uImage) using it (but yifanlu reported success). There is a much simpler version of sbloader for linux, in the RockBox project, which I partially ported for kindle use (not finished yet, like MANY projects that I started). I get projects like that working just enough to PROVE that I *CAN* finish it (when I need it enough to suck time away from other projects).
Old 06-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #210
zeb
Connoisseur

Quote:
wxWidgets.org -> Downloads -> Stable Release -> Binaries
Answer: Pre-built in Debian and Ubuntu archives.

You can manually install binaries from the *.deb package;
HowTo is indexed from the forum sticky above.
I misspoke: I was querying about the fastboot linux binary, not the wxWidgets.

Tags
debricking, kindle mx50 select boot