Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #151
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Isn't the important point that the Amzon book shop is locked to one DRM. So in a way you are supporting this when you buy a Kindle. And a DRM that only allow a reader of a specific type.
Actually all readers in existence except PDA's only support one DRM system. So Amazon is no different from others in that respect. Sony, for example, is exactly the same and the DRM was changed so their own early product of a few years ago uses a different DRM than the last 2 products.

This may be because of licensing contract issues for some of them but certainly not for Amazon and probably not for Sony.

A few are only licensed to MobiPocket but there is a difference in that several products can use that license. I suspect in the long run Amazon will use a MobiPocket license as well but for now they are controlling the license to limit their loss leader books.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:14 PM   #152
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Isn't the important point that the Amzon book shop is locked to one DRM. So in a way you are supporting this when you buy a Kindle. And a DRM that only allow a reader of a specific type.
I can't say what the important point is for everyone, but any of us that own Sony Readers (or iPods for that matter) would be supporting DRM by owning the hardware. However none of us have to buy the DRMed products to use the hardware so that is support of varying degrees. There's nothing stopping me from downloading or buying non-DRMed works and putting them on the Kindle just like our Sony folks are doing. I was originally hoping for the Bookeen or HanLin products to suit my need. Cybook is pretty darned close. So far the Kindle is closest to the feature set I want. I may buy some content from Amazon. Most of it will be from other places. I hope eventually they learn the value of open formats. I'm not going to hold my breath.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #153
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I can't say what the important point is for everyone, but any of us that own Sony Readers (or iPods for that matter) would be supporting DRM by owning the hardware. However none of us have to buy the DRMed products to use the hardware so that is support of varying degrees. There's nothing stopping me from downloading or buying non-DRMed works and putting them on the Kindle just like our Sony folks are doing. I was originally hoping for the Bookeen or HanLin products to suit my need. Cybook is pretty darned close. So far the Kindle is closest to the feature set I want. I may buy some content from Amazon. Most of it will be from other places. I hope eventually they learn the value of open formats. I'm not going to hold my breath.
My point was that Sony is not a bookshop. Amazon is primarily a bookshop at least in peoples mind and therefore you get the negative reaction when a bookshop chooses to sell books in one format only.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #154
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
Quote:
My point was that Sony is not a bookshop. Amazon is primarily a bookshop at least in peoples mind and therefore you get the negative reaction when a bookshop chooses to sell books in one format only.
Agreed 100%.

Additionally Sony has professed upcoming support for epub. Amazon has so far thumbed their nose at the standard.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #155
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
In fact for the wider public the main question is why bother with ANY eReader including Kindle.
Instant gratification? It's a very US thing, don't you think?

I guess most people don't re-read books, so the lack of ability to convert existing content (e.g. p-books, other DRM) may not matter so much to them. To me it's a show-stopper. But I'm in the minority who re-read books (I'd be in the poorhouse, otherwise!)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 PM   #156
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsohsmith View Post
Agreed 100%.

Additionally Sony has professed upcoming support for epub. Amazon has so far thumbed their nose at the standard.
Actually MobiPocket (owned by Amazon and used for part of the software in the Kindle) has make the same promise as Sony. Both are future ....
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote