Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #26446
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I have a few hours before the drive home, so I am going to start The Art of the English Murder: From Jack the Ripper and Sherlock Holmes to Agatha Christie and Alfred Hitchcock, which caught my eye at the library.
Still working on this one.

During grocery shopping, etc., today, I listened to "The Wedding Ring" by Maurice Leblanc and "Second Variety" by Phillip K. Dick. Both were done on the Classic Tales Podcast.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #26447
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Every so often I get an itch to read literature in English translation. At the moment I am reading The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayam. The English translation that is far and away the most famous is that of Edward Fitzgerald, a Cambridge educated Orientalist who published his first edition privately in 1859. It was a complete flop--not that Fitzgerald, who was quite wealthy, minded all that much. It was first offered to the public for half a crown. When no one showed any interest the bookseller reduced the cost to a shilling, and as a last resort it was put in the "penny box" outside the shop. Finally, two friends of Dante Gabriel Rossetti told the latter about "a wonderful little pamphlet" in a bookshop stall. Rossetti and Swinburne bought it showed it to Sir Richard Burton and suddenly Fitzgerald found himself famous.

"Rubaiyat" is the plural of "ruba'i" a four line stanza rhyming aaba. Hence the title. Fitzgerald used a selection of Khayyam's individual stanzas and organised them into a sequence from morning to night. He also linked those with similar subjects together to give the poem an inner consistency and logic which is not nearly as apparent in the work of Omar. That first edition used 75 quatrains. His second edition went to 110 verses and the third, fourth, and fifth settled on 101 quatrains. The last three editions really vary in quite minor ways. So that many copies now give both the first and fifth editions. The first edition has tremendous spontaneity and energy while the fifth is more nuanced. It is more difficult to get that second edition but many copies of the first and fifth do give some of the variations from the second in the notes or back matter.

There have been some attempts to create a translation closer to the original. For those interested Peter Avery and and John Heath-Stubbs did produce one for Penguin. It runs to 235 quatrains. The quatrains are in the four line form but unrhymed. It's good to have it but it is quite inferior in beauty to Fitzgerald's Victorian translation. There is another version, Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam: A Paraphrase from Several Literal Translations. by the poet, Richard Le Gallienne. It dates from 1916 and is available free from Wikisource. I've been reading it and it does have its moments. Le Gallienne, however, claims that he is no rival of Fitzgerald and simply wished to present an approach "mitigated more frequently by moods of optimism than in Fitzgerald."

Here are the opening three quatrains from Fitgerald's 1859 text:

I.
AWAKE! for Morning in the Bowl of Night
Has flung the Stone that puts the Stars to Flight:
And Lo! the Hunter of the East has caught
The Sultán's Turret in a Noose of Light.

II.
Dreaming when Dawn's Left Hand was in the Sky
I heard a Voice within the Tavern cry,
"Awake, my Little ones, and fill the Cup
"Before Life's Liquor in its Cup be dry."

III.
And, as the Cock crew, those who stood before
The Tavern shouted—"Open then the Door!
"You know how little while we have to stay,
"And, once departed, may return no more."

Now here are the opening verses in Le Gallienne:

“Wake! for the sun, the shepherd of the sky,

Has penned the stars within their fold on high,

And, shaking darkness from his mighty limbs,

Scatters the daylight from his burning eye.

"Awake! my soul, and haste betimes to drink,

This sun that rises all too soon shall sink,--

Come, come, O vintner, ope thy drowsy door!

We die of thirst upon the fountain's brink.

"Poor homeless men that have no other home,

Unto the wine-shop early are we come,

Since darkling dawn have we been waiting here,

Waiting and waiting for the day to come.”

Excerpt From: Khayyám, Omar. “Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám A Paraphrase from Several Literal Translations.”

Personally, I find the Fitzgerald lines more vibrant. But the Le Gallienne is well worth reading in its entirety.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-09-2017 at 03:39 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #26448
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm having a real ball re-reading Edith Hamilton's excellent Mythology - an impulse purchase earlier this month when it was offered for $2.99!

This is one of the books I read, and re-read, and re-re-read as a child. I was captivated by the Greco-Roman mythological universe, which led me into future readings of the classic Greek and Roman poets and playwrights, and then into the philosophers and historians.
Fortunately, my high school had a wonderful 'little old lady' Latin teacher, and I took 4 years of Latin, reading many of my favorite authors in the original Latin.

I am happy to report that Hamilton's prose reads just as fresh now as I remember it did decades ago.

This is a trip down memory lane that I will happily retrace again and again.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #26449
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Audio) and now listening to A Long Way to a Small and Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #26450
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Audio)
Curious -- which narrator? Both the Jim Dale and Stephen Fry versions are excellent, but definitely different. I know in the US you don't really have a choice, but I was able to get the Stephen Fry ones here with a bit of effort.

Meanwhile, I've been binge reading the Ava Lee series from Ian Hamilton. Fun books, with an ethnically Chinese Canadian, lesbian, forensic accountant, martial arts proficient, main character and a wide range geographical venues, though focused around Hong Kong. Wonderful fun!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #26451
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
<snip> ethnically Chinese Canadian, lesbian, forensic accountant, martial arts proficient, main character <snip>
Well sign me up! Just requested the first one from my library.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #26452
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finally, finished Stoneheart by Charlie Fletcher. I really liked the book's premise. Statues coming to life ... nice. But the mystery/goal was very murky to me. I was left empty and confused. The ending was very dull. Rated D+ [2 stars].

Last edited by Fbone; 10-09-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #26453
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Started Frankenstein in audio.
Finished this today whilst cooking. Did not enjoy it as much as I remembered on first reading. Tomorrow will be Ray Bradbury's The October Country.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #26454
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Curious -- which narrator? Both the Jim Dale and Stephen Fry versions are excellent, but definitely different. I know in the US you don't really have a choice, but I was able to get the Stephen Fry ones here with a bit of effort.

Meanwhile, I've been binge reading the Ava Lee series from Ian Hamilton. Fun books, with an ethnically Chinese Canadian, lesbian, forensic accountant, martial arts proficient, main character and a wide range geographical venues, though focused around Hong Kong. Wonderful fun!
Jim Dale, who tends to voice the children whiny, which is kind of annoying, and his pronunciations are sometimes kind of odd, but I don't know if it's him or me at fault there, hah. The audio book does make my long drives go by, though. I just wish my car stereo would let me skip through the track instead of having to start at the beginning again when I miss a section... these things are packeted in 60-80 minute chunks.

I wouldn't mind giving Fry a chance, though the odds of me finding that over here are minuscule.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 AM   #26455
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:

Quote:
Well sign me up! Just requested the first one from my library.
I think you might just like them. They have too many product brand names repeated (someone must have told him they lend verisimilitude or something), but other than that, quite enjoyable. And I love the geographic details, which as a life-long diplomat, Ian Hamilton certainly should have accurate.

Quote:
Jim Dale, who tends to voice the children whiny, which is kind of annoying, and his pronunciations are sometimes kind of odd, but I don't know if it's him or me at fault there, hah. The audio book does make my long drives go by, though. I just wish my car stereo would let me skip through the track instead of having to start at the beginning again when I miss a section... these things are packeted in 60-80 minute chunks.

I wouldn't mind giving Fry a chance, though the odds of me finding that over here are minuscule.
Well, you just need to do a bit of geographical traveling.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:52 AM   #26456
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Jim Dale, who tends to voice the children whiny, which is kind of annoying, and his pronunciations are sometimes kind of odd, but I don't know if it's him or me at fault there, hah.
Can you give an example of a pronunciation you'd consider odd?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #26457
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:

Well, you just need to do a bit of geographical traveling.
Actually, my current employer has those plans for me, though I don't know if those plans will include GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you give an example of a pronunciation you'd consider odd?
Off the top of my early-rising head, "Animagus" with a hard G and "Voldemort"... he keeps dropping the T like it's French.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #26458
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Off the top of my early-rising head, "Animagus" with a hard G and "Voldemort"... he keeps dropping the T like it's French.
I'm with you on the second of those, but the word "magus" assuredly does have a hard "g" (although its plural, "magi", does not). It's singular "may-guss", but plural "may-jie".

Last edited by HarryT; 10-10-2017 at 08:06 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #26459
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Jim Dale, who tends to voice the children whiny, which is kind of annoying, and his pronunciations are sometimes kind of odd, but I don't know if it's him or me at fault there, hah.
I've heard some of Jim Dale's reading of the first Harry Potter book and it's you. Nothing wrong with the reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #26460
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm with you on the second of those, but the word "magus" assuredly does have a hard "g" (although its plural, "magi", does not). It's singular "may-guss", but plural "may-jie".
Okay, I'm hearing ani-mah-Jus. So that's not a hard G, but a soft?