Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-27-2017, 01:20 AM   #61
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
High school vs college blends a little bit in my memory, but here's what I remember for sure from high school:

Animal Farm
Lord of the Flies
To Kill a Mockingbird
Wuthering Heights
Othello
Romeo and Juliet
Julius Caesar
Pygmalion

I detested Wuthering Heights. Lord of the Flies was the most disturbing of the lot. 1984 stuck with me thematically. To Kill a Mockingbird was my favorite, and I do re-read it regularly. Romeo and Juliet always made me kinda roll my eyes, as it just seemed so pointless - not the play, the way everything went down.

I feel like there are more. I was a long time fan of Mark Twain, so I've read a lot of his work on my own and most likley wouldn't be able to differentiate between what I read on my own and what I read for school. I'm sure there was at least one more Shakespeare, just can't remember if I read Hamlet in high school or college.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2017, 01:40 AM   #62
Roshni Patel
Enthusiast
Roshni Patel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Romeo & Juliet,
Pride & Prejudice,
The Mill on the Floss,
Motivational books by Robin Sharma
Roshni Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:35 AM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Exactly. The best example of this is Huckleberry Finn, which (at least when I was in school) was read, studied, and analyzed by American Lit students. The first page of the book reads:

I pointed this out to my teacher when it was assigned, and questioned why we would do something that the author so clearly did not wish to be done.

I got sent to the office for arguing with the teacher again.

Shari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
We had the same English teacher?
That English teacher really got around! She was also unhappy that I preferred the works of Gerald Durrell to those of Lawrence Durrell.

The most fun though was in chemistry when I got sent to the office for correcting the questions on an exam.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-27-2017 at 02:37 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:36 AM   #64
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
I did English Literature at 'O' level (to age 16), but the only book I can remember having to study is Lord of the Flies by William Golding.

I must have done a Shakespeare, but I have no memory of what it was.

And we must have done some poetry, but again, I have no memory of it.

"Almost all 1980 syllabuses required candidates to study a minimum of three texts, one in each of the three major literary genres: prose, poetry and drama"

I think we did the minimum! Unsurprisingly, I got a 'C' in Eng. Lit.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote