Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Sorting book help please

Rather new to Kindle 3 so I am still learning new features all the time. Starting to accumulate a larger collection of various books and I am a little confused about the way they show up on the home screen. I have then sorted by most recent first, but it is not the most recent that I have purchased that is showing up first. Actually I can not figure how they end up in the order that they appear. Seems almost random to me. Books that I have read I thought would be noted as such but they are not. I thought the dotted line beneath the title had bold dots to show progress, but the ones that are completed are just the same dotted line as the ones I have yet to read. Am I doing something wrong here?
I can see that I will soon have to set up collections to avoid more confusion.
Thanks for any help in this regard.
Denny
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I have then sorted by most recent first, but it is not the most recent that I have purchased that is showing up first.
"Most recent" is sorted by most recently opened (read) first.. not purchased.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
If you have not too many books, it would make sense to make two collections, Read/Unread. Than you'll know always where you are. (metaphorically speaking).

For example; _ A. Read and _ B. Unread
Make sure to have a space after the symbol _ ( or any other).
When you let your books( on the Kindle) show by 'title', on your home-screen it gives you the two collections first, sorted by alphabet ( _ A. _ B. )
When you've bought/uploaded books, you let your books show by ' collections' ; that gives you the collections first and then the books you've bought/downloaded on the Kindle.

If you really want to get into sorting and collections, you could look for the Windows Collection Manager or search by ' collections' on the forum.
There's lots of people that have some good ideas about it.
Good luck.

Last edited by desertblues; 10-29-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: haste, but repent not
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
If you have not too many books, it would make sense to make two collections, Read/Unread. Than you'll know always where you are. (metaphorically speaking).

When you let your books( on the Kindle) show by 'title', on your home-screen it gives you the two collections first, sorted by alphabet ( _ A. _ B. )
When you've bought/uploaded books, you let your books show by ' collections' ; that gives you the collections first and then the books you've bought/downloaded on the Kindle.

If you really want to get into sorting and collections, you could look for the Windows Collection Manager or search by ' collections' on the forum.
There's lots of people that have some good ideas about it.
Good luck.
Just to add to the above, when you sort by collection, all your books that are in collections will not be visible on the home pages, but the collections will sort by most recently accessed.

This isn't a big deal if your collections are few (mine fit on the first page of the home screen), but the collections will seem randomly sorted.

If you sort alphabetically, the collections with items like _ (as suggested above) will go first, but then all the books will show up as well. It's worth playing around with.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
Just to add to the above, when you sort by collection, all your books that are in collections will not be visible on the home pages, but the collections will sort by most recently accessed.

This isn't a big deal if your collections are few (mine fit on the first page of the home screen), but the collections will seem randomly sorted.

If you sort alphabetically, the collections with items like _ (as suggested above) will go first, but then all the books will show up as well. It's worth playing around with.
ahem, emalvick;

If you put a space ( and that one is the trick) between the symbol and the capital which names your collection-----than it will get sorted by alphabet if you let your books show by title, even within the name of the collection for example
_ A. Novel A-H will get sorted before the same collection _ A. Novel I-L etc. Try it.

Or else (perhaps) I'll eat my hat

Last edited by desertblues; 10-29-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
ahem, emalvick;

If you put a space ( and that one is the trick) between the symbol and the capital which names your collection-----than it will get sorted by alphabet if you let your books show by title, even within the name of the collection for example
_ A. Novel A-H will get sorted before the same collection _ A. Novel I-L etc. Try it.

Or else (perhaps) I'll eat my hat
I wasn't remarking about the space or how you are doing that. It is that sorting by "collection" is not alphebetical by collection at all (regardless of how you name the collections). It sorts by the most recently accessed collection. Only when you sort alphabetically does it work as you state (I use what you stated in my own form). I only wanted to clarify that renaming collections and titles alone doesn't fix the sorting when you are not sorting alphabetically in the first palce.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment

No harm done
Old 10-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
emalvick
Groupie

I know... Heck, I do something similar to what you suggested using:

_ _Reading
_ Collection 1
_ Collection 2

to sort all my collection where the reading one holds what I am reading at the moment. Anything not in that collection is to be read and what is read isn't on my Kindle. It works well.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
shu246
shu246 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks. Good thread.

Been with the Kindle3 about 2 weeks, have about 8 'pages' of books loaded; mostly free stuff from various places.

Seem to be keeping about 4 or 5 books working at any time. When I finish one, I want to banish it to the back of the pack. That way it will be still in the device, but out of the way, and if I do want to refer to it I will know where to find it.

Was going to suggest a software mod to do this (send a book to the back of the pack), but found this thread.

B'lieve I'll work with the collections thing, naming one '_ current' or something.

-shu
shu246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
[QUOTE=desertblues;1188562]If you have not too many books, it would make sense to make two collections, Read/Unread. Than you'll know always where you are. (metaphorically speaking).

Please excuse my lack of total understanding regarding the format of collections. As I see you always start with a _ then a space then another space after the A. also. Is that the way it's done?
Thank you
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
I wasn't remarking about the space or how you are doing that. It is that sorting by "collection" is not alphebetical by collection at all (regardless of how you name the collections). It sorts by the most recently accessed collection. Only when you sort alphabetically does it work as you state (I use what you stated in my own form). I only wanted to clarify that renaming collections and titles alone doesn't fix the sorting when you are not sorting alphabetically in the first palce.
That is correct. Collections are not sorted alphabetically in the "Collections" view.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote