Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Maria L.
Maria L. began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thumbs up Powerful paranormal fantasy, Liberation, Book One of the Andrusian Chronicles

Hi everybody!
I'm new and so is my novel. I just wanted to give you some idea of what its about and get to know you. I'll start with the main character.
Amora Madre has just experienced the shock of her life. Not only has she learned that her childhood imaginary friends are real, but that they are not human. She soon finds herself in Washington, D.C., having been chosen by the Intergalactic Supernatural Intelligence Agency (ISIA) to fight an evil supernatural syndicate determined to destroy the balance of good and evil on Earth. Amora’s mission is played out in the novel and it is in current times.
I was inspired to write Liberation while living in Washington, D.C. Visiting monuments and the National Archives made the story's fragments come together as if the Andrusian race were calling me to write their chronicles. The novel has a special twist regarding the nation's capital and its founding. I was incredably inspired by the tangible sense of power I felt walking the streets, viewing the monuments, and considering what happened to make the United States a land of freedom. In Liberation, the concept of American freedom reaches a new level and so do the supernatural challenges that the nation and planet must face.
The novel is available in Kindle as well as print. Please visit Liberation's web site :
andrusianchronicles.com

Maria Lucia :thanks
Andrusian Press (2010)
ISBN 9780984475544
Buy my book here: Amazon.com Barnesandnoble.com

Last edited by Maria L.; 07-18-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Maria L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Might I point out that it's spelled "powerful"? I'm not trying to be a spelling cop here, but a misspelling in the title of an advertisement for a book tends to make a bad first impression of the author's writing skills (also, putting a thumbs-up icon on your own post is kinda tacky).

You've left out a very, very important piece of information: where to buy the book. The best marketing campaign in the world won't do any good if people can't buy what you're selling.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Maria and welcome to MobileRead!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Typo on Thread Title now corrected.

Welcome to MobileRead, Maria L.

We hope you have an enjoyable time here. Please visit the Forums that strike your interest.

We also have Posting Guidelines available at the top of every page.

HAVE FUN!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Maria L.

easy on the juniors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Might I point out that it's spelled "powerful"? I'm not trying to be a spelling cop here, but a misspelling in the title of an advertisement for a book tends to make a bad first impression of the author's writing skills (also, putting a thumbs-up icon on your own post is kinda tacky).

You've left out a very, very important piece of information: where to buy the book. The best marketing campaign in the world won't do any good if people can't buy what you're selling.
all authors have editors. The book is great. Its my first post worldwalker.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All authors have editors (or should), yes, but that does not excuse an author from attempting to spell, punctuate, capitalize, etc., correctly when promoting their book. Would you trust an auto mechanic whose car leaves a trail of fluids and spare parts as it rattles down the street?

In any event, do I understand correctly that this book is only available for the Kindle? (I still can't find a "buy my book here" link)
Old 07-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Maria L.

thanks for the warm welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Hello Maria and welcome to MobileRead!
thanks! I feel like I'm learning to drive or like its my first time on stage. I don't even know how to edit my own stuff or where the spellcheck is or anything. I'm just getting the hang of everything, even the lingo.

thanks though!
Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Maria L.

its available in print and kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
All authors have editors (or should), yes, but that does not excuse an author from attempting to spell, punctuate, capitalize, etc., correctly when promoting their book. Would you trust an auto mechanic whose car leaves a trail of fluids and spare parts as it rattles down the street?

In any event, do I understand correctly that this book is only available for the Kindle? (I still can't find a "buy my book here" link)
I didn't think you'd ease up. I mispell words. It happens and it might happen again...really. Specially when I don't see a spellcheck.

I put Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com at the bottom under the signature. I'm just learning to edit... about the link, do you want me to hyperlink the words Amazon.com?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
Maria L.

thanks for correcting the typo

where is the spellcheck? and how do I edit my thread title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Typo on Thread Title now corrected.

Welcome to MobileRead, Maria L.

We hope you have an enjoyable time here. Please visit the Forums that strike your interest.

We also have Posting Guidelines available at the top of every page.

HAVE FUN!

Don
(Moderator)
Old 07-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
When one types in the message box, and a word is misspelled, then the word will be underlined in red. At that point, highlight the word and right click on it. You'll see some possible choices (assuming the word is not grossly misspelled).

However, to the best of my knowledge, that spell check does not come into play when typing in Titles for threads.

I don't believe you can edit your Title thread. (I may be wrong; let me check on that.)

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-17-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Usually, people trying to sell a book will provide a link to wherever the book is available for sale -- that is, directly to the book's own page, so that someone who wants it can just click on the link and then go buy the book, without having to search for it. With every barrier that you put in the way of a book -- in this case, first having to type in the URL to get to Amazon, and then search for your book and figure out which of Amazon's typically clueless search hits is actually the right book -- you lose sales.

You might wish to look at some other authors' book listings to see how they do it.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Liberation (Book One of The Andrusian Chronicles)
$9.99 (ouch)
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

So ... ten bucks for a DRM-locked book from Amazon for a platform I don't own by an author who can't spell?

Or ten bucks for three or four DRM-free books at Smashwords that I can read on anything by authors I know I like?

I think I'm gonna pass on this one.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
To be fair, we don't know if there is any DRM (although it does appear this author unwisely chose to use it). Each author can choose whether or not to include DRM (and the default is none, with DTP).

Also, with the new royalty scheme, the author must offer it in all geographic regions in which they have ebook rights (which for most means, worldwide) and price it at 80% or less of the print list price (of course, since most are using essentially vanity press/POD for their print books, this doesn't mean much), with a maximum cap of $9.99, which is what this author chose. Many are choosing $2.99, as that pretty much increases their sales several hundred-fold. A few others are keeping at the old royalty level and a price below $2.99, as they saw a 10-fold increase in dropping from $3 to $2 and again dropping to $1. It's easy math to see that 100 times increase in sales beats a 2 times increase in royalty rates. Plus, with a following, they can dream about a "real" publishing contract (which some have achieved in this manner); at the least, their other books sell better at the higher $3 price when there is a full-length "sample" (a full novel) of their work at the $1 range, which is the impulse price point these days, as seen by those selling music and apps.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

For $1.99, I might buy it for fun. I have, after all, successfully read several pages of "The Eye of Argon" aloud. But I won't pay 20% above the price of a physical book by a top author for an ebook (especially a DRM'd ebook) by some random stranger. I can't imagine that many people would.