Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
A Javascript to transfer files without using Digital Paper App for Sony DPT-RP1

Here is the link: http://github.com/janten/dpt-rp1-py

Here is the original post link (in German): https://forum.golem.de/kommentare/so...ml#msg-4905878

Unfortunately, I don't know how to run the Javascript file. Anyone has tried it yet? I would be very happy if someone could kindly offer an instruction.
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Why does this thread not receive the crazy amount of feedback it should? This is awesome news. A REST API over a emulated network device via USB.

Everyone can use the RP1 now!

People, give this guy some karma for finding this!
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Well, I'm still waiting on some more reports on this, before I get all excited - though, indeed, it is very good news if it works well.

Besides, Sony doesn't seem to show much interest in selling lots of RP1's to people in my part of the world; I just looked at their French website, and searches for things like "digital paper" or "RP1" turned up exactly... nothing.

But, yes - as someone who would be a potential user of the RP1 if it were more friendly to my use - I'm still following this part of the forum.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well those reports wont just write themselves. Someone ought to try it! If I had an RP1, which I don't, I'd given it a run. Everyone just a bit too convenient to try it after they got that fantastic app of Sony's running?

Philippe, you want the RP1? They ship from Amazone and B&H, see here on Sony's intl. page. I had very good experience with B&H for deliveries to Germany, so I take it the same would apply to France.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:33 AM   #5
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_F View Post
I would be very happy if someone could kindly offer an instruction.
I imagine you need to install Python on your PC to run the script.
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
janten
janten doesn't litterjanten doesn't litter

Device: DPT-RP1
Hi everyone,

someone just tipped me that you guys discovered my Python (not JavaScript) script which I use do upload documents to my DPT-RP1. I realize that it is not very user friendly, it's just something I hacked together over the course of some days. The important findings are:
  • All interactions between the DPT-RP1 and the Digital Paper App use a REST interface that runs on the reader. When connected via WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB, the reader is available as digitalpaper.local.
  • The initial certificate generation and registration uses an unsecured interface at http://digitalpaper.local:8080, documents are transferred over a secured interface at https://digitalpaper.local:8443. You can either extract the certificates for the secure connection from the Digital Paper application or simply ignore the certificate validation.
  • When connected via USB, the reader presents itself as a network adapter. This is only required for the initial configuration. Once the reader has been set up, everything works via WiFi.
  • You can do the initial pairing using the Digital Paper application in a virtual machine running Windows on a Linux host. Simply pass the USB network device to the VM.
janten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Could anyone kindly write an instruction for end-users? The process seems really complicated and confusing for me at least.
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
Philippe, you want the RP1? They ship from Amazone and B&H, see here on Sony's intl. page. I had very good experience with B&H for deliveries to Germany, so I take it the same would apply to France.
Actually, I decided to order the Remarkable - the smaller display should be fine for my use cases, it's more easily portable, and I'm curious about the writing experience. I'll only go back to the Sony if the Remarkable turns out to be difficult to use (which I hope it won't - the end cost of buying both would be pretty steep).

But, I'm still following this, just in case
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 AM   #9
ManDay
E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
Actually, I decided to order the Remarkable - the smaller display should be fine for my use cases, it's more easily portable, and I'm curious about the writing experience. I'll only go back to the Sony if the Remarkable turns out to be difficult to use (which I hope it won't - the end cost of buying both would be pretty steep).

But, I'm still following this, just in case
Wrong thread to make this into a discussion, but I sure will be interested to read your opinion about the re-markable. The review I've seen so far has been rather off-putting concerning the feature (or lack thereof) and bug richness of the software. But I'm also wondering whether my next purchase should be the Sony or the re-markable.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #10
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
I, too, hope to see more development to make this option more available for non-programmer users.
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #11
cb125
cb125 doesn't littercb125 doesn't litter

Device: dpt rp1
So I've been working with the python script, and am reporting on my initial progress.

First: it's wonderful to have the beginnings of a way to get stuff on and off the reader under Linux!

The code is available by visiting the github site mentioned above, https://github.com/janten/dpt-rp1-py

This is far from ready for non-programmers to use.

The README.md gives clear, simple instructions on how to extract a client id and a key from the device. These two pieces of information are needed to authenticate. The key needs to be placed in a file that the python code can find, and the client id needs to replace the client id that is currently embedded in the python code.

Getting the python code to run is not trivial. It depends on formatted strings, which are new to python 3.6. Don't try to get python 3.6 running on any Ubuntu earlier than 7.10 (artful), it's not worth the hassle! (It shouldn't be too difficult to get the code to run on python 3.5.)

In order to connect to the reader, I needed to put the reader's wifi ip address into my /etc/hosts file (e.g., I put this on a new line: 198.168.1.201 digitalpaper.local).

The user interface to the python program is to... edit the code. I got the reader to deliver a screenshot over wifi by adding the line "dp.get_screenshot()" under the authentication command in the "main" block, very exiting! Still unclear what commands to use in order to get files on or off the reader---I have not yet even figured out what the directory names are on the reader. But this seems solvable with some investigation and experimentation.

As the author comments, the Sony code that runs the digital app is clean and neat. Wouldn't it be nice to get that code running under Linux?

Many thanks to Jan-Gerd Tenberge for making his python hack available!
cb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #12
sartrism
sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Boyue T62+, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb125 View Post
So I've been working with the python script, and am reporting on my initial progress.

First: it's wonderful to have the beginnings of a way to get stuff on and off the reader under Linux!

The code is available by visiting the github site mentioned above, https://github.com/janten/dpt-rp1-py

This is far from ready for non-programmers to use.

The README.md gives clear, simple instructions on how to extract a client id and a key from the device. These two pieces of information are needed to authenticate. The key needs to be placed in a file that the python code can find, and the client id needs to replace the client id that is currently embedded in the python code.

Getting the python code to run is not trivial. It depends on formatted strings, which are new to python 3.6. Don't try to get python 3.6 running on any Ubuntu earlier than 7.10 (artful), it's not worth the hassle! (It shouldn't be too difficult to get the code to run on python 3.5.)

In order to connect to the reader, I needed to put the reader's wifi ip address into my /etc/hosts file (e.g., I put this on a new line: 198.168.1.201 digitalpaper.local).

The user interface to the python program is to... edit the code. I got the reader to deliver a screenshot over wifi by adding the line "dp.get_screenshot()" under the authentication command in the "main" block, very exiting! Still unclear what commands to use in order to get files on or off the reader---I have not yet even figured out what the directory names are on the reader. But this seems solvable with some investigation and experimentation.

As the author comments, the Sony code that runs the digital app is clean and neat. Wouldn't it be nice to get that code running under Linux?

Many thanks to Jan-Gerd Tenberge for making his python hack available!
We have the full list of files/directories on the reader. I doubt if you have an access to other directories using this method though.
sartrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
svosg13
Enthusiast
svosg13 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, DPT-S1, DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by janten View Post
Hi everyone,

someone just tipped me that you guys discovered my Python (not JavaScript) script which I use do upload documents to my DPT-RP1. I realize that it is not very user friendly, it's just something I hacked together over the course of some days. The important findings are:
  • All interactions between the DPT-RP1 and the Digital Paper App use a REST interface that runs on the reader. When connected via WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB, the reader is available as digitalpaper.local.
  • The initial certificate generation and registration uses an unsecured interface at http://digitalpaper.local:8080, documents are transferred over a secured interface at https://digitalpaper.local:8443. You can either extract the certificates for the secure connection from the Digital Paper application or simply ignore the certificate validation.
  • When connected via USB, the reader presents itself as a network adapter. This is only required for the initial configuration. Once the reader has been set up, everything works via WiFi.
  • You can do the initial pairing using the Digital Paper application in a virtual machine running Windows on a Linux host. Simply pass the USB network device to the VM.
Great job and many thanks janten!!!

My company laptop is blocked on certain port so USB never works for me, only Bluetooth. By some stupid reason the Sony App does not allow setup Wifi AP through Bluetooth. Now I can do it with your python hack. This is great!

Just sharing the script i added using Janten's work to register WIFI AP:

PHP Code:
dp DigitalPaper('<your device client id>')
dp.authenticate()

data = { 

'ssid'base64.b64encode(b'<WIFI AP Name>'),

'security''psk',

'passwd''<WIFI password>',

'dhcp''true',

'proxy''false'
}
dp.put_endpoint(f"/system/controls/wifi_accesspoints/register"data=data
Don't forget to import base64.
svosg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
dave00
dave00 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by janten View Post
How did you exactly set up the virtual machine? I'm using VirtualBox with Kubuntu as Host OS and tried it with Win10 and Win7. In both cases, I added the USB device filter for Sony DPT-RP1 in the USB settings and chose either USB2.0 or USB3.0. However, in both cases, the USB connection was recognised by the Guest OS but the pairing in the Digital Paper App didn't work! Very frustrating...
dave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:31 AM   #15
chinax
chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Nook Glowlight, Sony DPT-CP1
Will this work on the CP1/second generation? I arrived here because I'm about to make the jump to Linux for real, and also just found out that Sony is giving up on the Digital Paper completely.
chinax is offline   Reply With Quote