Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
bulldog vii
bulldog vii began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Help with Sony PRS-505 & an imac

Hi all

My first post here & I do hope you can help.

I bought my wife last year a Sony PRS-505 which we couldn't get to work with he Sony Vaio, so it was confined to a draw, where it stayed for a year or so. I use an Mac (Snow Leopard) & wondered if it was compatible yet with macs?

I have downloaded the software & installed that, I have downloaded a few books from Waterstones, but when I got to transfer them across I keep getting an error message telling my that the reader is authorised by another user??

This is probably my wife from when we tried to install it last year. Anyone have any ideas who I either de-authorise her or change my details back to hers

Thanks
bulldog vii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
The 505 is compatible with Macs. When you connect it to the computer through USB it comes up as an external drive on your desktop.
Sony has their own program to maintain and syncs book to the reader that is native to the Mac of you can use Calibre ( http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_osx
I prefer Calibre but, like everything, your mileage will vary.

What software are you currently using with the 505? The error message is not familiar to me but maybe the guys over at the Sony section of this forum may have seen it before ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100 )

You may have to actually call Sony to have them de-authorize the reader for you so you can start over
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The latest version of the Sony eLibrary (v3.0) is compatible with SL. I have it on my MacBook Pro and works fine (the software is crappy, but it does work).
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
I have exactly the same problem as Bulldog with my 505 and iMac, running SL. I have uninstalled, installed and reauthorised, or tried to. I have conferred with Sony and Waterstones while reading reams of online support pages. However the only thing that works for me is a Vista Dell laptop with my older version (2.5) of ADE. Until something changes, eg they bring out an update for the Mac, which doesn't require me to meddle in the programmes, I'm sticking with that Dell. It's a nuisance, but at least I don't try and launch my 505 or iMac.

Q? Is it feasible that the UK Sony programme to authorise the PC is also different to the US system?
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You can de-authorise the device via the Sone Ebookstore website (go to manage devices) but only from the computer you used to authorise the device originally.

If that's no longer available, then you'll have to contact Sony directly, to de-authorise the reader and the old computer.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Patricia.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
bulldog vii
bulldog vii began at the beginning.

Hi all

Thanks for the info, I just bung it back in the draw & let gather dust!!
bulldog vii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog vii View Post
Hi all

A hard reset might help. You can find instructions from Sony here.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II

Bulldog, I just managed to get my reader (505) working with my iMac again, I have reverted to Leopard, although my wife's reader works with her macbook and Snow Leopard.

Enter Finder and drag both Adobe Digital Editions and Sony eLibrary to the trash.

Reload ADE, when open click on the drop down menu to the right of the word Library. Select 'Authorise computer.' Reload Sony eLibrary.

Close ADe, leave Sony Library open. Connect your reader to the computer, monitor the status box, it should show your book being recognised, the reader will then show in the left hand pane. Download a book to the computer from your online store bookshelf. Activate the link, monitor the 'Status' box, you should see the bar gradually fill as the book file is transferred.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog vii View Post
Hi all

Most people report that a quick email explaining the situation will sort out the authorisation problems fairly quickly.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote