Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #16
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Unless they are super strong magnets you are unlikely to see any issue with a Kindle.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Wow. That's a pretty blanket statement to make there Harry especially considering you're absolutely wrong.

The term for what the magnets can do is Electro Magnetic Interference or EMI.

Magnets can and do interfere with cellphones. The Kindle has a cellphone radio in it.
With the greatest respect, scotty, I have to disagree with you. I do have a PhD in physics, I should perhaps point out. The very weak magnets used in clasps are not going to cause any noticable interference to anything.

... and, as others have already said, static magnetic fields do not cause "EMI". A static field does not broadcast any energy. Only fields with changing flux do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
andrew_capulet
andrew_capulet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and Sony PRS-600
Smile no problems with magnets

hi everyone,

my first post, so please be gentle!

we make Amazon Kindle 3 purses with magnets. To date, there have been no issues with any magnets whatsoever in our cases, both in our own testing as well as zero customer issues.

To give you an idea of magnet placement etc, here's a photo:

If you'd like to see more of them, you can find them here: http://www.capuletlondon.com/boutiqu...her-cases.html
andrew_capulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_capulet View Post
we make Amazon Kindle 3 purses with magnets. To date, there have been no issues with any magnets whatsoever in our cases, both in our own testing as well as zero customer issues.
I will try to be gentle ;-)

I see one huge issue with the magnet as shown. Not with magnetic field, but with placing it directly above the center of the screen. The screen is THE most fragile part of the device. Screen is THE thing that the case is supposed to protect. This case works as a focus for the force applied to the front of the case/kindle, directing it to a small spot in the center of the screen.
An example.
If you place "naked" kindle between two books and press them together, nothing will happen. When you place kindle inside your cover between two books and apply a little bit of pressure, the result would be cracked screen.

This is the issue with the vast majority of cases I have seen. Why do you make super thin gadget and thin case, only to double the thickness by placing large magnet with fastening strap right on the top?

I used to grumble about the case Sony PRS-500 had, yet it is the best case for reader I have ever seen. The device is held in by a large snap connector at the back of the device and the cover was held closed by magnets located inside the reader. No clunky holding straps, no large magnets or straps doubling the thickness of device in cover.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I used to grumble about the case Sony PRS-500 had, yet it is the best case for reader I have ever seen. The device is held in by a large snap connector at the back of the device and the cover was held closed by magnets located inside the reader. No clunky holding straps, no large magnets or straps doubling the thickness of device in cover.
I agree... the PRS-500 cover and cover mounting system was da bomb! I have no idea why the did away with it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #21
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
A former RFIC design engineer's input

Quote:
Wow. That's a pretty blanket statement to make there Harry especially considering you're absolutely wrong.

The term for what the magnets can do is Electro Magnetic Interference or EMI.

Magnets can and do interfere with cellphones. The Kindle has a cellphone radio in it.
No. Static magnetic fields produced by permanent magnets do not cause EMI.

Quote:
While the magnets jamming the cellphone in the Kindle won't make anyone miss an important call they can raise the noise level for the radio causing it to pour on more power to reach the network clearly.

More power means a shorter time until it must be re-charged. A Kindle battery only has so many charge cycles in it before it must be replaced.

So if hauling your Kindle around next to magnets results in your Kindle needing a new battery earlier than otherwise? I call that harm Harry.
No. The magnet will have no more effect than having the device in a bag and close to the body. If the magnet were placed right over the antenna (wherever that is) it may cause some detuning by a capacitive effect which could reduce its performance, but it would make no difference if it were a magnet or not. Almost any dense/metallic object placed over the antenna will have the same effect. Placing a cell phone in your pocket does the same thing because your body detunes the antenna.

As for battery life, your comment is a pretty extreme stretch of reality. The Kindle doesn't continuously connect to the cell network and constantly send data back and forth. It occasionally attempts to connect. If it fails a few times it stops trying for a while and and tries again later (like maybe tomorrow). If it did not behave this way people who leave the radio on and go out of range of a cell system would report dead batteries in a matter of a few hours. I have never seen such reports. Also, few people leave the radio on all the time in order to extend battery charge life because they recognize there's no reason to leave the radio on all the time. The addition of magnets to a case latch will NOT affect anyone's battery life.

Quote:
If you are worried about SAR, the impact of absorption of the radio waves on your body, having your Kindle broadcasting at a higher power level means more SAR. So magnets could lead to higher levels of absorbed radio power by your body. Not technically harm for the Kindle but if you are genetically pre-disposed to certain types of cancer you might not want that.
There's no science showing that cell radiation causes cancer of any sort. Putting the kindle in a case carried against your body might cause the radio power to increase (assuming the radio works identically to the radio in a phone), but then again, no one leaves the radio on all the time and the radio does not continually connect to the cell network even if you did leave it on. This is a non-issue.

Quote:
Anyway that's what I recommend: get purses etc that use flat sheet magnets. Not things that use those button sized rare earth "will hold your body weight or your money back" magnets.
Actually, if you're worried about detuning the antenna in the device, large, flat magnets are more likely to do so than small, strong magnets. Again, the detuning is due to the presence of dense/metallic material in close proximity to the antenna (a capacitive effect), NOT due to the strength of the object's permanent/static magnetic field.

Last edited by Mark Rehorst; 07-01-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I will try to be gentle ;-)

I see one huge issue with the magnet as shown. Not with magnetic field, but with placing it directly above the center of the screen. The screen is THE most fragile part of the device. Screen is THE thing that the case is supposed to protect. This case works as a focus for the force applied to the front of the case/kindle, directing it to a small spot in the center of the screen.
An example.
If you place "naked" kindle between two books and press them together, nothing will happen. When you place kindle inside your cover between two books and apply a little bit of pressure, the result would be cracked screen.....
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #23
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
And who the heck is downloading a book with their Kindle inside their purse, even if the magnets could interfere?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
And who the heck is downloading a book with their Kindle inside their purse, even if the magnets could interfere?
Kindle automatically downloads subscription items. So there could be many people doing this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I seldom leave my Kindle in my purse overnight, which is when most subscriptions download. Maybe some women do.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I think I have read reports from owners of a very nice metallic case for Kindle, that the kindle would sometimes crash inside the case. It would be trying to establish WiFi (or 3G, I do not remember) connection and it would crash.

You are supposed to switch the Kindle on in the morning and find fresh newspaper ready for your enjoyment.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #27
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_capulet View Post

To give you an idea of magnet placement etc, here's a photo:
It looks like a great case to me. I agree with others that the placement of the latch puts the screen at risk, if you put the Kindle in the case with the screen side against the latch. The smart user will no doubt simply insert his Kindle in the case with the back side toward the latch and will never have a problem with it.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote