Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
chazmena
Member Retired
chazmena began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Talking Sharing my books with all of you

Well!
I have been put in my place...I have long-since taken out the books that I offered.

If this was a stupid move on my part, I am sorry to have offended--only wanted to give back. Some of you do court the term "pedantic" with over-reacting.

Be well all

Last edited by chazmena; 02-13-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: error on my part
chazmena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Dear chazmena:

While I applaud you for sharing your ebooks with MobileRead, there are three points that need to be considered:

1) There's a format we must adhere to in order to have the titles properly indexed, meaning that there is a specific upload convention that must be followed. If you'll look at all the uploads in the Uploads areas, you'll find they all adhere to this format:

Fenn, George Manville: Hunting the Skipper v1 11 feb 2009

There are, of course, slight variations. It's very important, as you can see, that the author's last name come first, with the following information coming after the author's name.

Also, you'll need to upload your titles individually in order to maintain the integrity of our database.

2) Also, please remember that the ebooks uploaded to MobileRead are ebooks created (or assembled) by the members, and not harvested from other sources and simply uploaded.

3) I checked on one title (because I'm a fan of Balzac), and found that "The Deserted Woman" is actually Patricia's book that she assembled and uploaded. This may be true for all your titles, in that someone else assembled them and uploaded them.

Respectfully,
Don
(moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
It looks like a lot of these files came from this site in the first place. Some have the MobileRead logo on them.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, we'll adjust this, and sort through it.

(He didn't know.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I moved the thread to the Upload Help area so it would not show up in the index of Mobi format books. I did leave a redirect that will expire in one week.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please note that our book upload forums are for BOOKS THAT YOU HAVE CREATED YOURSELF.

We are NOT interested in books "harvested" from other sources, and "bulk uploads" are entirely inappropriate.

PLEASE read the upload guidelines BEFORE uploading. They are there for a purpose.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And many of the books came from this site: some were originally uploaded by me; others by RWood among others. I don't see the purpose of having exact duplicates.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
PLEASE read the upload guidelines BEFORE uploading. They are there for a purpose.

Thank you.
How are newbies supposed to know the guidelines even exist?

And would it help if you supplied a link to them?

I'd find it very discouraging to be shouted at for a simple misunderstanding.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
How are newbies supposed to know the guidelines even exist?
(
They are in a sticky, right at the top of the forum. I would have thought they were reasonably prominent, but if you have any ideas for making them more so, your thoughts would be of course be appreciated.

Link here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They are here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14163
and are stickied in the Upload help section.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I think that we should first applaud Chaz for his amazing good will. It is, though, as Don has said before, quite clearly stated in our guidelines that the posts here on MobileRead should be handmade by poster which isn't the case here, obviously.

If you would like to contribute, Chaz, even after this little misunderstanding, please do not be put off, but try to make your own books. We are all quite willing to assist you.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 02-12-2009 at 04:16 PM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please note that our book upload forums are for BOOKS THAT YOU HAVE CREATED YOURSELF.
I just read the guidelines and this statement is not there. And why should it be there. If you have a book that follows the guidelines why shouldn't you upload it?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I just read the guidelines and this statement is not there. And why should it be there. If you have a book that follows the guidelines why shouldn't you upload it?
From the guidelines:

"4. If you are considering creating a particular eBook, please check before you start whether or not that book has already been uploaded to MobileRead (this can be done by clicking the "E-Books" link on the blue bar near the top of the screen, selecting the "Browse Latest Uploads" option, then selecting the "Search E-Books" link and entering either the title or the author into the search box). If you find that the book has already been uploaded, you are very welcome to upload a new version provided that it "adds" something different to the version already present - this might be a better layout, a new format, significant proof-reading and correction, proper dashes or "curly quotes", for example. If this is the case, when you upload your new version, please add a link to the earlier version (or simply say who the uploader was), and state in the description of your book how it differs from the earlier version.

6. Uploads here should add some notable "value" to a PG (or whatever) original (for example: nice reformatting, artwork, a TOC, footnotes, etc etc). There's really no point in posting here something which which a poster can get from the original source in two minutes."

It is clear that a straightforward duplication is not an addition, in any sense.

But I agree with mtravellerh. The original poster intended a gift and I'm entirely prepared to believe that this is a misunderstanding.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
From the guidelines:

"4. If you are considering creating a particular eBook, please check before you start whether or not that book has already been uploaded to MobileRead (this can be done by clicking the "E-Books" link on the blue bar near the top of the screen, selecting the "Browse Latest Uploads" option, then selecting the "Search E-Books" link and entering either the title or the author into the search box). If you find that the book has already been uploaded, you are very welcome to upload a new version provided that it "adds" something different to the version already present - this might be a better layout, a new format, significant proof-reading and correction, proper dashes or "curly quotes", for example. If this is the case, when you upload your new version, please add a link to the earlier version (or simply say who the uploader was), and state in the description of your book how it differs from the earlier version.

6. Uploads here should add some notable "value" to a PG (or whatever) original (for example: nice reformatting, artwork, a TOC, footnotes, etc etc). There's really no point in posting here something which which a poster can get from the original source in two minutes."

It is clear that a straightforward duplication is not an addition, in any sense.

But I agree with mtravellerh. The original poster intended a gift and I'm entirely prepared to believe that this is a misunderstanding.
Please read what I wrote. If you have a book that follows the guidelines (which includes it is not a duplication) then why can you not upload it if it happens that somebody else have produced the book (and added values to it)?

It is not implied by the guidelines that you have to produce the book yourself.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Please read what I wrote. If you have a book that follows the guidelines (which includes it is not a duplication) then why can you not upload it if it happens that somebody else have produced the book (and added values to it)?

It is not implied by the guidelines that you have to produce the book yourself.
If it is an exact duplicate then there are no added values.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote