Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
teaspoon
teaspoon began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Grainy display?

Hello people,

I'd just like you to look at the display of your prs-505 when it's off and tell me if your display is completely "white", or if it's slightly grainy when you look at it up close.

At least I can see that mine has a fine grain to it.
Same thing is visible when looking at the black bars when in the menu, but this time a slight grey/white grain (obviously).

I can't remember how my display looked when it was brand new and turned off.
This surely affects the contrast of text slightly, if not all pixels are doing their job.
teaspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I was just noticing the same thing on mine this weekend. I ordered a cybook and was comparing the two. The cybook was noticeably different and seemed a little sharper, but it might just be the aging of the displays. I've had mine since the 505 came out. I didn't really notice any difference in readability or comfort while reading.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Mine is a very very very light gray and has the most minutest specks of gray in it that are almost invisible unless one chooses to give it a cross-eyed kiss.

When on, the unit is sharp and clear. I'm an early Sony adopter, and had the previous 500 before by buying this newest unit which I've had for almost 3 months. No problems at all.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I just got my 505 on Monday and the screen isn't grainy at all, but it's also nothing I would call "white" - it's about the shade of the box below:

I'd been wondering if it was possible to adjust the contrast at all - I'd love to lighten up the background a bit if I can.
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
If I'm holding my 505 in bright light I notice a graininess or specks, otherwise I don't notice it
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorswitch View Post
I just got my 505 on Monday and the screen isn't grainy at all, but it's also nothing I would call "white" - it's about the shade of the box below:

I'd been wondering if it was possible to adjust the contrast at all - I'd love to lighten up the background a bit if I can.
Unfortunately, there is no knob you can turn. However, if you can reduce the amount of white things in your field of view while looking at it, your eye will be nice enough to make it look whiter.
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusfp View Post
Unfortunately, there is no knob you can turn. However, if you can reduce the amount of white things in your field of view while looking at it, your eye will be nice enough to make it look whiter.
Ah - the High Tech approach! Thanks, I'll give it a try ::giggles::
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorswitch View Post
Ah - the High Tech approach! Thanks, I'll give it a try ::giggles::
Unfortunately a bit late for you, I expect, but a number of people report that that's an advantage that the dark blue reader has over the silver one! (I've not seem a silver one to compare, so can't say either way...)

See here for the relevent illusion...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:36 AM   #9
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
As a nearsighted person, I can confirm that the screen is grainy. This isn't actually a real problem.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #10
teaspoon
teaspoon began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Thanks all!
Yes, I don't see it as a problem either, it's just that I realized this recently and I don't think it was like this when the device was new. So I was starting to think that the "pixels" are starting to give up.
Also I think I have more shadowing than before. We'll see..
teaspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:55 AM   #11
AngrySpoon
AngrySpoon began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
One thing i've noticed with my 505 and i've been wondering about, is that the left side of the screen, most noticeably right along the edge is slightly darker than the right side, once again most noticeably at the edge.. It's not really enough of a difference to effect readability, it took me a two days of ownership to notice it, but now that I know it's there I always see it =p Is this normal? due to the "grain" ?
AngrySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote