Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #91
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I'm sorry, I don't have time to write the documentation right now (partly because it would be huge).
But I can give you few pointers.

Check /usr/share/keyboard.cramfs.img for keyboard layout and /usr/lib/locale.cramfs.img for glibc locale archive.

Then also check /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/ for Java locale definition.

User guide dwells in /opt/amazon/kug/.

Java framework localization is in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/, Sir Alex' K3Translator is able to generate the localization JARs:
Code:
java -Xms16m -classpath bcel-5.2.jar:K3Translator.jar Translator td4 /opt/amazon/ebook/lib translation.jar en_GB sk_SK
The source translation.jar is just a ZIP file that contains plain text localization.

You may want to localize the SO image: /opt/amazon/dtcp_backups/

Few mesquite HTMLs that need to be localized are in /opt/var/local/mesquite/shared/locales/

Blanket localization is in /usr/share/locale/ (gettext format)

Pillow localization is in /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/locales/ (JavaScript)

Mesquite localization is in /var/local/mesquite/*/locales/ (JavaScript)

ACX localization is inside each ACX module - /opt/amazon/acw/ (JavaScript/XML)

The problem with you approach is, that if you forget to add some part of localization, the device may brick.
If I forget to localize something, the original English resource will be used.

It was not my intent to scare you, it's just that complicated, I'm sorry.
The github repo can be a good resource for your investigation:
https://github.com/dsmid/kindle-pw2-l10n-template

Anyway, should you have questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by dsmid; 10-10-2014 at 05:14 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #92
mobusr
Enthusiast
mobusr began at the beginning.

Device: pw2
Sorry for dumb questions, but I have to ask to not spend time again on finding this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid
The problem with you approach is, that if you forget to add some part of localization, the device may brick.
If I forget to localize something, the original English resource will be used.
Is there any safe-measures (e.g. I have ssh started through wi-fi or might enable it again over USB) ?

Is sshd daemon starts before GUI starts on kindle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
I'm sorry, I don't have time to write the documentation right now (partly because it would be huge).
But I can give you few pointers.

Check /usr/share/keyboard.cramfs.img for keyboard layout and /usr/lib/locale.cramfs.img for glibc locale archive.
Yup, noticed these. I've already have keyboard installed through it-keyboard hack made by kaznelson. He just mounts --bind it keyboard, guess it's for safety too.

What about locale.cramfs.img, how do I generate locale-archive?

Quote:
Pillow localization is in /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/locales/ (JavaScript)

Mesquite localization is in /var/local/mesquite/*/locales/ (JavaScript)
how do I generate same UTF-8 strings in \u quotation?

Quote:
ACX localization is inside each ACX module - /opt/amazon/acw/ (JavaScript/XML)
they're basically .ZIP files just renamed?

Quote:
It was not my intent to scare you, it's just that complicated, I'm sorry.
The github repo can be a good resource for your investigation:
https://github.com/dsmid/kindle-pw2-l10n-template

Anyway, should you have questions, feel free to ask.
many thanks!
mobusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #93
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobusr View Post
Sorry for dumb questions
There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Quote:
Is there any safe-measures (e.g. I have ssh started through wi-fi or might enable it again over USB) ?
Installing Rescue Pack and CRPA is a must.

Quote:
Is sshd daemon starts before GUI starts on kindle?
Usually not. That's why installing CRPA is so important.

Quote:
Yup, noticed these. I've already have keyboard installed through it-keyboard hack made by kaznelson. He just mounts --bind it keyboard, guess it's for safety too.
Yep, I like this approach a lot but when there are too many bind-mounts, problems may occur, see the start of this thread.

Quote:
What about locale.cramfs.img, how do I generate locale-archive?
localedef operates on /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive, therefore you have to copy the archive from Kindle to this path:
Code:
sudo cp locale-archive /usr/lib/locale/
localedef --list-archive
sudo localedef --add-to-archive /usr/lib/locale/sk_SK.utf8
Locale directory /usr/lib/locale/sk_SK.utf8/ has to exist beforehand.

Quote:
how do I generate same UTF-8 strings in \u quotation?
Use native2ascii tool from Java SDK.

Quote:
they're basically .ZIP files just renamed?
Yes, but the problem is they are signed.
You will have to sign the ACXs & install the mobileread key.
See
https://github.com/dsmid/kindle-pw2-...master/signing
and
https://github.com/dsmid/kindle-pw2-...ebook/security
and
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_ACX

Last edited by dsmid; 10-10-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:42 AM   #94
dsmid
Linux devotee

Slovak localization package is now available:
https://github.com/dsmid/kindle-pw2-l10n-sk/releases

Courtesy of Andrej Tobola
Old 11-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #95
mobusr
Enthusiast

they've added in 5.6.1 russian localization so there is no need to do anything

finally after years of promising.

NOTE: RU localization only available for PW2 in 5.6.1

amazon also added NL translation.
Advert
Old 11-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #96
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
they've added in 5.6.1 russian localization so there is no need to do anything

finally after years of promising.

NOTE: RU localization only available for PW2 in 5.6.1

amazon also added NL translation.
Consider the warnings elsewhere on this site about upgrading to 5.6.1
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #97
mobusr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Consider the warnings elsewhere on this site about upgrading to 5.6.1
can you point me to?

i read a thread about 5.6.1 update didn't find yet anything bad about it.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #98
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
can you point me to?

i read a thread about 5.6.1 update didn't find yet anything bad about it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1331

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1316

The thread index has a "show first unread post" icon in the first column which might help you find what was written since your last visit.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #99
donMaranzano
Zealot
donMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 5
How can I translate Kindle Touch to Bulgarian?
donMaranzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:52 AM   #100
dsmid
Linux devotee

I have some experience with translating KPW1 and KPW2 but never tried to localize KT (I haven't got a device to test on).
You'd be on your own.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:43 AM   #101
donMaranzano
Zealot
donMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 5
Is there any way to explain me and to try myself to do it?
donMaranzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #102
dsmid
Linux devotee

I doubt it.
If you don't have any Kindle & Linux hacking experience, you would most probably end up with a bricked Kindle.