Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
ctm3rd
ctm3rd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Can not sort by authors on Kindle PW

I imported just over 500 ebooks from Calibre to my Kindle PW and for some unknown reason I'm unable to sort by authors.

The books show up by title and by recent but when I select authors all I get is the two dictionary s that are installed.

Has anyone come across this issue in the past. If so what was the fix?

Thanks
ctm3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Try a reset.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
ctm3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Try a reset.
when you say reset do mean restart the kindle? I've done this a dozen times.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
ctm3rd

I did a restart and a reset device. Now I'm not able to sort by Author or by recent. Both sort categories show "0" items. However when I sort by title all items show up.
Frustrating!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm3rd View Post
when you say reset do mean restart the kindle? I've done this a dozen times.
I did mean that, and that you've already tried is helpful information when posting the problem initially. It would also be helpful to know if you have a jailbreak installed.

The fact that it is not working leads me to believe the problem might be in the way the metadata is recorded in calibre. Hopefully someone who has more knowledge with the program will be able to respond soon.

Do you have any books that are downloaded directly from Amazon? If they "sort" properly, then at least you'll know the problem is in calibre vs. in the Kindle itself.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It could be eBooks downloaded from the net with crappy metadata. That would explain why the sorting is broken.

Download Mobi eBooks from here and see if they sort. I know the metadata is correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
ctm3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I did mean that, and that you've already tried is helpful information when posting the problem initially. It would also be helpful to know if you have a jailbreak installed.

The fact that it is not working leads me to believe the problem might be in the way the metadata is recorded in calibre. Hopefully someone who has more knowledge with the program will be able to respond soon.

Do you have any books that are downloaded directly from Amazon? If they "sort" properly, then at least you'll know the problem is in calibre vs. in the Kindle itself.
The kindle is jailbroken. I downloaded three books purchased at amazon and I'm having the same issue.

Could it be just bad firmware on the kindle itself?

I'm going to reset the kindle again and only download a few books purchased from Amazon and see what happens.

It is also important to mention that the same library works perfectly with my Kindle keyboard.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
ctm3rd

I removed all Calibre books and restarted the kindle and the sort works perfectly. So the issue is with the metadata in Calibre.

How do I go about fixing this?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Where is the problem occurring? If the metadata wasn't there to before the books got to Calibre, then Calibre isn't the problem. If it was there, did it get stripped going into Calibre or in the transfer to the Kindle? You might try manually moving a few titles and see if there's a difference.

I've got a few epubs that I converted to Kindle, never had a problem. I haven't done it recently, though.

If the problem is in Calibre, you'd be more likely to get better assistance by scrolling down to the Calibre hangout.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Where did you buy the books from that are causing the problem? Some bookstores are a lot better at supplying good metadata than others.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
I was unable to sort by recent and I almost lost my mind over this but then I took out all the underscores from folders and titles and now it's working again. Might be worth a try...
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
dpgill
dpgill began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a Kindle Paperwhite, and it has been working fine with Calibre until tonight. I uploaded several books and they do not appear in the contents of the Kindle (usually new items appear after the collections folders - there are none there). The books DO show up when I look at the directory via the USB cable on the PC, and I can find the new books via the search function (i.e. search on author or title). But they don't show up on the main contents/index screen.

I had this same problem a couple months ago with another Paperwhite - also stopped showing Amazon-purchased content.... same symptoms - shows up via USB and vis SEARCH. Amazon replaced that device.

Anyone else have this problem?
dpgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
dpgill
dpgill began at the beginning.

Device: none
And yes. I have reset several times....
dpgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
Try something completely different, I had that problem, could not sort by recent, checked and found some files and/or directories had underscores. Removed those and all is well again (for some 800 books).
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I have lots of books with underscores in the file name. Never had a problem with it. Of course, I have a Kindle Keyboard, and a K1.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authors, kindle, paperwhite, sort