Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What Gadgets do you plan on Buying this Holiday Season?
LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Kobo Arc, Nexus 7, Nook Tab, etc) 47 28.83%
Non-LCD eReader (Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Sony, etc) 33 20.25%
Smartphone (Android, iPhone, Windows, etc) 19 11.66%
Media Player (Galaxy Player, iPod touch, etc) 7 4.29%
MP3 Player (Cowon, iPod nano, Sansa Clip, Sony etc) 6 3.68%
Computer (desktop, laptop, netbook, ultrabook, etc) 24 14.72%
Other (please specify) 10 6.13%
No new gadgets for me this holiday season 60 36.81%
Not interested in this thread, but love to vote in polls 9 5.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #106
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
USB, HDMI, pretty much the same in any language.
The price Point is what impressed me £20 cheaper than on Amazon UK and €40 cheaper than on Amazon.de
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #107
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
USB, HDMI, pretty much the same in any language.
The price Point is what impressed me £20 cheaper than on Amazon UK and €40 cheaper than on Amazon.de
That gadget wouldn't work for my Galaxy Player 4. Samsung, very stupidly, put the USB port on the top of the device. I wonder what their design engineers were smoking that day.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #108
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably sock puppets
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #109
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm actually thinking of something like this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eb7b/#tabs

an emergency power source for phones, ipods, and so on. My kids have a lamentable tendency to not keep their phones charged up except at night. We've got a small one, that works to recharge my son's phone about half way (or maybe a little more), and I've got a charger that runs on two AA batteries, but I don't know how much that small amount can do.

I've investigated solar rechargers, but I'm not convinced we'd have a good way to use it in cloudy Michigan. For longer outages, we've got a gas-powered generator (but that assumes we can get gas for it) - this would be just for more short-term emergencies. (maybe give the kids one to keep in their car)
If it's just for your house I would get a battery jump starter. I bought one for my car, but have found that it'll charge my GS3 in about 2 hrs, with little charge taken from it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #110
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
One major upgrade for us this year. I already upgraded my computer a month ago, but our media center is aging to the point where it's almost ready to go into a museum. So that will be replaced before Christmas (as an early Christmas gift) because we plan to use those weeks we took off from work sitting in front of the TV and watching movies!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #111
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I plan on two major purchases:Both are Google devices and both cost $249 each. I plan on waiting until Black Friday to see if they get discounted or come with a free gift card.
The major BF ads have dropped and the Nexus 7 is not being discounted. The Chromebook however is. Best Buy will have it for $199. They'll also have the Galaxy Player 3.6 for $100. Would make a great gift item. Hopefully, both items will be available online.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #112
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Is it possible to use a Chromebook off line? I'm kind of intrigued, but if I can't use it off line I think that would put a hamper on it.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #113
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Is it possible to use a Chromebook off line? I'm kind of intrigued, but if I can't use it off line I think that would put a hamper on it.
Offline for what? I've never explored that aspect.

When I disconnect the internet, I turn my computer off. It has no value to me at that point. To me, a computer is the internet and the internet is a computer. I'm a content junkie.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #114
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
A Wii U and probably a Paperwhite, that's about it.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #115
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Black Friday tends to have the lowest prices and deals. That's when I usually pull the trigger.
Be careful of the retailers who discretely raise prices on items a few weeks before Black Friday and then 'lower' prices on the day.

MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #116
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Come to think of it, I was tempted to purchase a Wii U but with the pressure of limited quantities I think I'll wait for next year when there is no such pressure (and some feedback on the actual possibilities of the machine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
A Wii U and probably a Paperwhite, that's about it.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #117
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I have three computers and two laptops, not counting my wife's computer and laptop. Don't need any more computers.
I was hoping for a Nexus 7, but decided I'm content with my Nook Tablet. It still does everything I bought it for.

I started a new job three months ago and my salary was cut in about half. So, I'm learning to be content with what I have.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote