Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #241
wyvern
Small friendly dragon
wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes, as per usual and it's different in England & Wales than Scotland. The warranty is normally one year but, to quote the This is Money website "for six months after the purchase, it is up to the retailer to show that a fault on an item is down to the actions or misuse of the buyer, rather than an inherent fault in the product.

After six months, the burden of proof switches to the buyer and it is they who must then show a fault is due to some inherent problem, something that can be almost impossible in all but the most straightforward cases."

The website does say that you can try printing a copy of EU directive 1999/44/EC to take along when you complain to a shop, but as long as they comply with the UK Sale of Goods Act, you usually won't get anywhere, though if it is referred to Head Office you may eventually get some kind of recompense.

John Lewis are unusual in offering a longer than 1 year warranty on some electrical goods including PCs, laptops and tablet computers. The info about guarantees isn't shown on their website for Kindles or Nooks, but the Kobo is now showing as 1 year only, so maybe they've reduced it across the board for ereaders. I was very disappointed as I'd read on Amazon recommendations to buy at JL to get the longer guarantee in view of all the problems. JL's standard info page also says that pixel problems and screen burn are excluded from the warranty.

Last edited by wyvern; 02-01-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typing mistake
wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #242
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
New PW is here. Old one is better. Here's a pic. Both lights at 24 in a dimly lit room. The old one on right. So I'm keeping the old one. I don't see the specks when reading so they won't bother me. I see color hues on the one on the right in the pic, but I really don't see them in person. It's the best PW I have had so far, very even, the specks are the only issue. I think that settles it for me in regards to the new ones being consistently better too. I don't think so. I think it's just the luck of the draw really.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	np.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	100498  
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #243
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
New PW is here. Old one is better. Here's a pic. Both lights at 24 in a dimly lit room. The old one on right. So I'm keeping the old one. I don't see the specks when reading so they won't bother me. I see color hues on the one on the right in the pic, but I really don't see them in person. It's the best PW I have had so far, very even, the specks are the only issue. I think that settles it for me in regards to the new ones being consistently better too. I don't think so. I think it's just the luck of the draw really.
The one on the right is definitely better, text looks sharper and the contrast higher. Is Andrew calling you tonight? I can't wait to hear what he'll say. He may offer you another replacement!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #244
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The one on the right is definitely better, text looks sharper and the contrast higher. Is Andrew calling you tonight? I can't wait to hear what he'll say. He may offer you another replacement!
He's calling me Monday. I'll let you know if he offers a replacement. Not sure I'll take another one though. It seems a bit pointless. The text and contrast is slightly better on the one on the right, but not as much as the photo suggests. I just took a quick pic, and the quality of the pic isn't very good, but it's good enough to show the color hue difference. The one on the right is very even, it looks really good in person.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #245
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Actually, looking at them both next to each other again, and changing the font so it's the same on both, the text is definitely darker on the old one.
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #246
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Please be careful m'dear. I returned my Cybook Odyssey because within 24 hours it got 4 specks. First one, two, already annoying and the next day another two. I didn't wait any longer, returned it while still in the "no questions asked" window. So that you have 2 non irritating ones now doesn't mean (hate to be a party pooper) that you won't have more in future. I've been going through withdrawals after I returned it and drooling over various readers but Opus and K3 just win every time. What a pity about PW.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #247
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Awww Keep the speckle one or try again but the new one needs to go back. What font is that you are using?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #248
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Here's a pic of my current PW on the left (the one I'm happy with but it has those glowing specks and the color hues are very faint in person) next to my older one. You can see the older one in darker and more muddy.
"Muddy" is the perfect way to describe your older PW. I was unsure what "felt" wrong about my new 603 but when you described your old one that way, I realized that was exactly seemed wrong with the new one to me too. The text (on both yours and mine) seem "smeared" somewhat.

Here are the two PW's again, 501 on the left, 603 on the right. Despite the pinkish tinge, the 501 just looks clearer and better to me. I'm not sure but to my eyes, the font also seems darker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
So yes, you can and will get used to a color cast, eventually, assuming that you do *not* have perfect material to compare with on a regular basis. So, if you have one perfect Paperwhite, and one with blotches, or two with different color casts, and you use them interchangeably, you will not get used to the discoloration.
I tried reading on the 603 last night in the dark (with brightness set to 4). I'm not sure if it was the lateness of the hour (1am) or if it was actually the screen, but my eyes started to feel very strained after just a few minutes. I turned on the 501 to compare and was surprised at how green the 603 screen seemed to look compared to the 501. While the 501 looks pink in daytime (at full brightness), it actually looks very warm in the dark, especially when looking at it right after staring at the 603 screen. You may be right and I think I will stop comparing for a while, just to see if my eyes really will adjust to the more "muddy" screen. If not, I can always go back to using the 501 and just keep the 603 as a spare, provided the restarting issues don't come back.

Quote:
I'm really surprised and confused by all of this too. It's hard for me to understand why if they see the problem, they can't fix it, and if they can't fix it, why not just say that the color hues are inherent to the PW design and that it will be on all of them and offer a refund to people that aren't satisfied?
What I'm also wondering about is how sure are they that the next one they send you will be a good one? Do they check the Kindle before packing it up? Do they send it to you with the box opened? How do they know?

Update: I'm typing this as I go through each page and I just saw pics of the new one posted -- without even reading your post first, I immediately saw how the one on the right was better too (the old one). I agree about it being luck of the draw. As long as you're happy despite the specks (and thankfully they're not somewhere right above where your text normally is), you should probably stick with that one.

Blossom, that's a really nice screen you have!

Last edited by xtine; 02-01-2013 at 07:09 PM.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #249
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
Yes, as per usual and it's different in England & Wales than Scotland. The warranty is normally one year but, to quote the This is Money website "for six months after the purchase, it is up to the retailer to show that a fault on an item is down to the actions or misuse of the buyer, rather than an inherent fault in the product.

After six months, the burden of proof switches to the buyer and it is they who must then show a fault is due to some inherent problem, something that can be almost impossible in all but the most straightforward cases."

The website does say that you can try printing a copy of EU directive 1999/44/EC to take along when you complain to a shop, but as long as they comply with the UK Sale of Goods Act, you usually won't get anywhere, though if it is referred to Head Office you may eventually get some kind of recompense.

John Lewis are unusual in offering a longer than 1 year warranty on some electrical goods including PCs, laptops and tablet computers. The info about guarantees isn't shown on their website for Kindles or Nooks, but the Kobo is now showing as 1 year only, so maybe they've reduced it across the board for ereaders. I was very disappointed as I'd read on Amazon recommendations to buy at JL to get the longer guarantee in view of all the problems. JL's standard info page also says that pixel problems and screen burn are excluded from the warranty.
I can't believe I'm reading this.

Not saying it's untrue or anything, but in the Netherlands, it's not possible for a retailer to just lower the warranty whenever they feel like it, let alone to decide that some problems are not covered. Saying something like: "A stuck space bar on notebook Brand X is not covered under warranty" (because we've read that their current keyboards are unreliable) is just not possible. And fir good rains reasons, IMHO.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #250
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
No need to be. No two screens are exactly the same. It is just like that. It's the reason why photographers and other people in the graphics industry go to great pains to calibrate and profile screens, and even buy very expensive stuff to do it (and expensive screens that take well to calibration). Read below....
This certainly is the case. You *will* get used to it.
As I said in this thread earlier, I take many pictures, and a lot of my time is spent in front of color calibrated and profiled LCD-screens. Color calibration and profiling is done using a special device and some software. This proces makes screens show the correct colors. I've even calibrated the screens I use at my workplace.
Therefore, I am used to seeing true white on LCD screens. If I look to a screen of one of my colleagues, I can *immediately* tell if the screen is off. Most are too reddish, blueish, greenish, or yellowish. On some screens, their white actually looks light red, or light blue to me.
The fun thing is: the person working with that particular screen day in day out says I am stupid and that his whites are perfectly white, not red or blue. And to him, all screens in the office are fine. His eyes are not trained to recognize perfect white, as are mine, and therefore he is unable to pick up color casts.
Until.... he does not look at the screen for some time, and I put my screen right next to his. Then that person will immediately see that his screen is off color.
So yes, you can and will get used to a color cast, eventually, assuming that you do *not* have perfect material to compare with on a regular basis. So, if you have one perfect Paperwhite, and one with blotches, or two with different color casts, and you use them interchangeably, you will not get used to the discoloration.
====
Maybe I'm just in luck, but as posted earlier, my PW is perfect with regard to lighting evenness, but it does have a color cast. When used at my preferred light setting 13 in this room, the screen is a bit grayish with a tinge of a blue-green cast. See this picture.
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...n/_0012041.JPG
Photoshop agrees with my assesment, as the eyedropper says:
R: 135 G: 154 B: 163
The paper is (almost) perfectly light gray under these lighting conditions:
R: 169 G: 160 B: 163
So... grayish (all values are quite comparable, and far from 255/255/255 white), but with a green-blueish cast. And when you compare it to the almost perfectly gray paper, you can easily see the color cast. Whe you do not have a real white on screen for comparison, then the paper will after some time look like a dull white, and the kindle will also start to look lighter. It's just the way your eyes work. They fool you. Easily.
The trick is: I don't have another paperwhite to compare with. When reading for some time, the screen is just a dull white. The moment I put it next to "Google", displayed on my perfectly calibrated computer screen, or beside a sheet of high quality photo paper, then it's definately grayish with a blue-green tinge.
When bringing up the level to 17-18 or so, the screen will turn bright white, but then it's too bright to comfortably read in here. Then it's going to start to look like an LCD.
Thanks for this post. Knowing how easily my senses can be fooled doesn't stop them from being fooled of course, but still better to be armed with knowledge.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #251
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heh, fooled indeed. Look at this.

Believe me or not, but fields A and B have the *exact* same shade of grey.

Don't believe me? Put the image into an image editor and sample both using the color picker. The results will be identical. Have fun and be amazed if you never looked into this stuff before:

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithab...-a-question-o/

Now you know why I'm often sceptical if people say "My screen is yellow / green / pink / blue / whatever", without actually *measuring* it using a tool such as a spectrometer

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-01-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #252
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Heh, fooled indeed. Look at this.

Believe me or not, but fields A and B have the *exact* same shade of grey.

Don't believe me? Put the image into an image editor and sample both using the color picker. The results will be identical. Have fun and be amazed if you never looked into this stuff before:

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithab...-a-question-o/

Now you know why I'm often sceptical if people say "My screen is yellow / green / pink / blue / whatever", without actually *measuring* it using a tool such as a spectrometer
Yes, I do take your point, but the fact remains that the two shades of grey illustrated above are *visibly* different. I'm not saying that Amazon put a screen on my Kindle that is part white, part green, and part pink; I'm saying that I can *see* white, green, and pink color hues (some clever Amazon reviewer referred to the PW as the "Paperbruise"). If what I am physically seeing is disturbing my reading, then that's a problem. The whole point of the PW is a comfortable and enjoyable reading experience, after all.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #253
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
Yes, I do take your point, but the fact remains that the two shades of grey illustrated above are *visibly* different. I'm not saying that Amazon put a screen on my Kindle that is part white, part green, and part pink; I'm saying that I can *see* white, green, and pink color hues (some clever Amazon reviewer referred to the PW as the "Paperbruise"). If what I am physically seeing is disturbing my reading, then that's a problem. The whole point of the PW is a comfortable and enjoyable reading experience, after all.
Of course, what you see is what counts in the end, as it affects your reading experience. What I'm trying to say is that you may be in the position of never finding a Kindle that is perfect for you personally, no matter how often you exchange it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #254
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
Yep. All that matters is what your eyes see. You have to read with it after all. Please let's not start another it's all an illusion thread. I will say that pic gets around doesn't it? I've seen it posted more now I say about 6 times.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #255
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

It's a famous image.

Still, I find it strange that some people need to swap the device 3, 4, 5 times in a row. There can't be so many bad Kindles that such a string of bad ones can be considered normal, or it would have damning reviews everywhere. It doesn't. Also, I can't believe that there are huge numbers of people with bad Kindles and they all don't see it.

Yes, that was a (another) long winded way of saying that some people for which the PW is troublesome may never find a good one due to the way they see the screen / LED light.