Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
SwiftOne
SwiftOne began at the beginning.

Device: shopping
Seeking Large screen e-ink, no exact match

I have a Sony PRS-505 and I adore it. It seems more recent models have taken (in my opinions) backward steps and it also seems that innovation is a bit slow (I see almost no 2011 releases compared to the great competition in 2010 ), particularly in the large screen market.

I've been unable to locate an exact match to my desires, so I'm hoping the folks here will know of a model (current or upcoming) that I don't.

Demands:
* E-ink (others can debate, I'm sold)
* large screen (I'm mainly looking to read programming texts and RPG books)
* Able to handle EPUB and PDF well.
* Quick page turns (for eink), able to bookmark different pages in different books and able to bounce between these with decent speeds (My PRS is great for reading _a_ book, but opening a book can take several to many seconds)
* Calibre-compatible (is anything not?) via USB connection
* Strong battery life (usually comes with eink, but still a demand)

Nice but not needed:
* Color eink
* Linux OS (makes future rooting more likely once support is dead)
* Acts as USB mass storage (i.e. no special drivers needed)
* Word search
* text to speech

Of no value to me one way or the other:
* Wifi (I want to save my battery anyway)
* Touch screen (note: I fear glare and/or fingerprints)
* annotations/highlights
* non book options (MP3, browser, games, etc)

Not really wanted:
* Pen controls
* Centralized control that can remove/replace my books (Amazon)

So far the DX Graphite isn't EPUB friendly (and while Calibre can convert today...) and is a bit outdated compared to the options in smaller screens. Meanwhile the Jetbook hasn't impressed me with the format support, glare, low contrast, pen, and high price tag (but I'd pay the price if the other issues were good). I've not heard a lot about the Hanlin or the Onyx, aside from the former being replaced by the Jetbook and the latter having OS issues.

Is there anything out there that meets my desires?
SwiftOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
according to your demands you want one of the pocketbook pro 9x devices. specifically the ability to quickly bounce between different books. from any open book its just 2 menu clicks away to any of the last 10 open books or even the browser if you have a window open to wikipedia for example.

the 9xx all have some of those things you find of "no value" but arent necessary to use the device and are no power drain etc when not in use/turned off

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 02-28-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
SwiftOne
SwiftOne began at the beginning.

Device: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
according to your demands you want one of the pocketbook pre 9x devices. specifically the ability to quickly bounce between different books. from any open book its just 2 menu clicks away to any of the last 10 open books or even the browser if you have a window open to wikipedia for example.
Awesome! Thank you, that's exactly the insight I was hoping for. Somehow I missed the Pocketbooks in my review and even if I hadn't, I'd not have known about the rapid-changing.

While I expressed no interest in touch-screen, I'm worried about loss of functionality from my Sony - do you know how the PB902 handles things like selecting a page without numeric buttons?
SwiftOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

click menu , click goto page, numeric soft keyboard pops up, select the number with the 4-way button, click ok. its really very quick

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 02-29-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard

see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbhrI_9fzvA shows using the pen but you can easily select the page numbers with the 4-way button

and here is the "multi-tasking" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnOkj...eature=related
Advert