Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Bobosmite
Enthusiast
Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle-DX
Conversion noob, not sure what's happening to cause this.

I've converted plenty of ebooks to .RTF (Word) and then turned them into physical books. I started using Kindle, so now I'm going the other direction, converting .RTF to ebook. The conversion to Kindle format works and it looks great when viewing in Calibre, but when I view in Kindle, it's inserting big gaps before and after the chapters. For example, I end up with "Chapter 1" all by itself on a Kindle page and have to flip to the next screen to begin reading.

It looks correct in the Calibre reader and I don't want to assume that's it's a Kindle issue just yet. The source .RTF uses normal paragraph breaks between chapters (^p). Is there some kind of formatting I can do in the .RTF that will keep the chapter heading and the text body together when it converts up to Kindle?
Bobosmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobosmite View Post
I've converted plenty of ebooks to .RTF (Word) and then turned them into physical books. I started using Kindle, so now I'm going the other direction, converting .RTF to ebook. The conversion to Kindle format works and it looks great when viewing in Calibre, but when I view in Kindle, it's inserting big gaps before and after the chapters. For example, I end up with "Chapter 1" all by itself on a Kindle page and have to flip to the next screen to begin reading.

It looks correct in the Calibre reader and I don't want to assume that's it's a Kindle issue just yet. The source .RTF uses normal paragraph breaks between chapters (^p). Is there some kind of formatting I can do in the .RTF that will keep the chapter heading and the text body together when it converts up to Kindle?
Calibre reader linearized the view (sections are end to end)

If the next page AFTER the 'chapter' heading is also being converted as a sub-heading, this can happen.
Try changing the 'Chapter Mark' setting in detection tab on the convert screen
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Bobosmite
Enthusiast
Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle-DX
Changing that setting did the trick, 100%. Thanks! Also, I re-formatted the .RTF file in Word as if it was one continuous document and Calibre converted it perfectly for the Kindle. Every chapter was recognized and indexed and the correct icon graphic appears in the Kindle menu. Being able to correct errors in the document and then re-compiling into new file is that "selling point" that's tipped me towards ebooks versus print. There's still a long way to go, but I'm on board!
Bobosmite is offline   Reply With Quote