Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
viker
viker began at the beginning.

Device: pc
PDF Margins on Epub to PDF

How to change the top and bottom margins when i convert an epub to a PDF ?

Can you reccomend any other software that can convert epub to pdf in console linux ?
viker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by viker View Post

Can you reccomend any other software that can convert epub to pdf in console linux ?
Which margins?
Every (x)HTML 'Box' has margins.

Why do people insist on using the CLI , with all the switches, before they have mastered the easier GUI with all the visible setting options?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
donB006
Connoisseur
donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle k3G 3.4.2; DXG 2.5.8; DXG 3.1; Iriver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by viker View Post
I have experienced the same problem with the top and bottom margins using Calibre to convert epub and even htmlz into pdf files. The margins are now adjustable with 0.8.45 except the text is still clipped at the top and bottom margins. I use supplementary programs to make better pdfs than Calibre.

I use linux with Calibre to first convert the epubs to htmlz and then unzip the htmlz file and use either Firefox or html2ps and then the ps2pdf to create the pdf files. The html2ps allows many custom settings for producing a pdf to precise requirements.

These programs do not have the Calibre problem of text extending above and below the bounding box when making a pdf.

Last edited by donB006; 03-31-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: updated for version 0.8.45 changes in pdf margins
donB006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
donB006
Connoisseur
donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle k3G 3.4.2; DXG 2.5.8; DXG 3.1; Iriver Story HD
converting to pdf

I have been experimenting with a program for making pdfs from ebooks. The program is called pisa or xhtml2pdf. The html output from the calibre conversion to htmlz can be used as input to this program.

I am interested in this program because the output does not have the chopped text at page breaks like the QPrinter program used by calibre. The QPrinter is made to image a web page or an html ebook exactly as the page appears in a browser and so the html ebook is not reformatted for printing and causes the text to be chopped at page breaks.

I have used xhtml2pdf to make a pdf from the htmlz format made by calibre when I used the "tag" choice for the internal CSS. This is almost usable already for reading a pdf in my Kindle DXG. I need to experiment more on resizing the fonts to my preference either using calibre or the xhtml2pdf especially to produce pdfs suited for reading on my Iriver Story HD. Remember there are a lot of options to put on the command line if the defaults for xhtml2pdf are not perfect.

I like to read well made pdf files in my ereaders especially when the ereaders have poor support for epub or mobi files concerning fonts, margins, layout, etc.

donB006 is offline   Reply With Quote