Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Creating PDFs for the KFire

I played around a bit and found some good sizes for creating a PDF that fills the KFire screen really well. These are just suggestions and your mileage may vary. I use Word to create my file then save it to a PDF. There are many applications that will work. Also, for those who have a Sony PRS-950 (SCION) or a NookColor these dimensions work on them too.
  • Page Dimensions: Width = 3.56", Height = 5.95"
  • Margins: Set to 0.1" or your preference
  • Font Size: Just play around until you find what works for your eyes
Old 11-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I played around a bit and found some good sizes for creating a PDF that fills the KFire screen really well. These are just suggestions and your mileage may vary. I use Word to create my file then save it to a PDF. There are many applications that will work. Also, for those who have a Sony PRS-950 (SCION) or a NookColor these dimensions work on them too.
  • Page Dimensions: Width = 3.56", Height = 5.95"
  • Margins: Set to 0.1" or your preference
  • Font Size: Just play around until you find what works for your eyes
Topaz books don't look have bad on the Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Topaz books don't look have bad on the Fire.
I meant to check out Topaz but forgot. I've got several so I will see if they are readable on my Fire.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I meant to check out Topaz but forgot. I've got several so I will see if they are readable on my Fire.
You can't change the font but it's not bad really.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Egad! You're right! Topaz can actually render decently!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Want to make a PDF out of any webpage? Use Dolphin HD web browser. You will need to download the Dolphin Browser and the Web to PDF Add-On.

Dolphin Browser: http://www.4shared.com/android/Wz7d3...wser_HD_v.html

Dolphin Browser Add-Ons: http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...olphin+add-ons

Swipe a webpage left (touch, hold, drag) and the add-on toll bar will show up. Full screen button is at the top of the bar. All the other icons are the quick access for you to use the add-ons installed.

Swiping right, the bookmarks side bar will show up. You can choose your bookmarks and check you history and most visited sites there.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Wow the two I looked at are readable and nice looking though not as nice as mobis. Still it is much better then on E Ink Kindles! I didn't try out highlighting, dictionary look up, and search yet.

EDIT: Highlighting, dictionary lookup, and search work well. Maybe no more having to convert Topaz books!?

Last edited by jswinden; 11-18-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Wow the two I looked at are readable and nice looking though not as nice as mobis. Still it is much better then on E Ink Kindles! I didn't try out highlighting, dictionary look up, and search yet.

EDIT: Highlighting, dictionary lookup, and search work well. Maybe no more having to convert Topaz books!?
Unless I want to read them on eInk it does help to have that option though!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Unless I want to read them on eInk it does help to have that option though!
but.... Did you get your cover and screen protector? I'm curious if the screen protector was any good.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
but.... Did you get your cover and screen protector? I'm curious if the screen protector was any good.
Not yet It's coming first class mail so It might be here before Turkey day, might.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
I have found that PDF'S I created for my KDX using ISO A5 as the page size (perfect for the KDX) were not too bad on the KF. Although as the OP stated, it's best to create PDF'S with a page size equal to the physical screen size and with as little margin as you can get away with.

Since PDF'S on the KF have a very nice pinch to zoom capability, the margin requirement is not as necessary as it used to be.

Reading PDF'S on the KF is better than I thought it would be.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboyhan View Post
I have found that PDF'S I created for my KDX using ISO A5 as the page size (perfect for the KDX) were not too bad on the KF. Although as the OP stated, it's best to create PDF'S with a page size equal to the physical screen size and with as little margin as you can get away with.

Since PDF'S on the KF have a very nice pinch to zoom capability, the margin requirement is not as necessary as it used to be.

Reading PDF'S on the KF is better than I thought it would be.
True. If you create the file as close to actual screen size as you can, then it is easier to get the font size where it works best for you. A much larger size document might wind up having way too small of a font to read comfortably.. plus it makes it easier to design pages and page breaks.