Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #91
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I think if you use preserveAspectRatio="none" then you don't need to change the image size at all.

I don't know whether it is device-specific but all my Sony's and PocketBook display preserveAspectRatio="none" svg covers completely edge-to-edge whatever the size of the actual cover.jpg

Edit: I have a Calibre plugin used to copy Calibre covers to the reader to use as standby image(s). It was developed before readers started to have the use-current-book-cover-as-standby-image feature. The only screen resolutions I was asked to support are 600x800, 600x1024 and 824x1200

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-12-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Extra info re: screen resolution
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #92
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Well I will do both, because on my Kobo the image does need to be resized, because the device itself does it. but I think there is a bug where if an image is bigger that 600 x 800 it won't resize it properly.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #93
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
...but I think there is a bug where if an image is bigger that 600 x 800 it won't resize it properly.
Do you mean on the Kobo? Sonys/PocketBook are OK with "over-size" images, both as svg covers and as standby images.

Nooks and Kindles work OK with over-size images as standby images (my Calibre plugin has happy Nook and Kindle users), but I don't know about svg covers.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #94
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Do you mean on the Kobo? Sonys/PocketBook are OK with "over-size" images, both as svg covers and as standby images.
Yeah I mean on the Kobo Touch. Previously there was no resize going on, now it forces the images to fit the screen but even though the dev said it is ok now, I see that there is still some issue with some file, SO I resize them anyway just to be sure.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #95
Nigol
Groupie

V1.5.3

v1.5.3
- In the Cover Editor, unchecking the preserve Aspect Ratio box will revert to previous behavior of setting the SVG to "none" instead "MidXMidY meet".
- Added a menu in the Cover Editor to select the desired aspect ratio that the image will be resized.
- Fixed some issues with Mono / Linux. (Crash with Fix Margins, Preview working, Path issues, Recent Files working)
- Fixed some setting not being remembered or saved in the wrong place.
- Changed the way the Recent Files are stored in the settings.
- Clicking Rename will have the text selected in the Rename tool.
- The Keep Aspect Ratio checkbox inside of the Cover Editor will now be remembered.
- When Saving a cover you will be warned if the cover has a value of linear="no" (Putting the cover at the end of the book).
- Fixed a Memory problem where using the Mass Update in the Cover Editor would eat up all the memory and crash.
- Covers will have a maximum height of 1600 when resizing them (having them not Preserve the Aspect Ratio),
because very high resolution images are sometimes not processed on some readers.
- Removed the Download button from the Add window, since Table of Contents are no longer available on the Kobobooks website.
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #96
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Hi Nigol,

Glad to see you're still working on this project, I use it practically every day.

For those of us with multiple reading devices, is there some combination of settings I can use so that I end up with code of preserveAspectRatio="none" but without the image being physically resized. Then the same epub would fit to any size/shape screen 'on-the-fly'.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi Nigol,

Glad to see you're still working on this project, I use it practically every day.

For those of us with multiple reading devices, is there some combination of settings I can use so that I end up with code of preserveAspectRatio="none" but without the image being physically resized. Then the same epub would fit to any size/shape screen 'on-the-fly'.
Why would you want the aspect ratio of the cover to be wrong? All that happens is it can end up looking awful. Sure you don't fill the screen, but that's OK. The cover will then look good. But if you have the cover fill the screen, then it's awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #98
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you want the aspect ratio of the cover to be wrong? All that happens is it can end up looking awful. Sure you don't fill the screen, but that's OK. The cover will then look good. But if you have the cover fill the screen, then it's awful.
It's all a matter of opinion, JSWolf. For me, 'awful' is when the screen isn't filled -- with one exception -- when the cover contains human beings. I don't like to see people's faces distorted.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #99
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I agree with John, distortion is distortion and should be avoided at all costs.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #100
Nigol
Groupie

Quote:
I could just add a value to not resize in the drop down menu, but this wouldn't really matter since the reader would still resize the image either way, because of the "none" statement. Maybe I am mistaken and it might be that some reader don't use the "none" statement and the image is distorted but doesn't fit, in this case I think you are right and it would be useful to at least have a normal image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I agree with John, distortion is distortion and should be avoided at all costs.
If you really disagree with the distortion, just leave keep aspect ratio on.

I for one hate having white strips on the cover.

On a side note I have been adding stuff periodically when I find a bug or an annoyance, I just didn't update the version yet. I was meaning to redo some of the code, because has I add stuff and I learn more, I am starting to see that there is some stuff that is really bad programming, even if it works. I usually work on this when It is boring at work, but I just don't have the time I had.

SO if you are interested in more up to date versions, just go on the google code page. I have added a compiled beta build to the subversion repository, so you can check the requested change there.

http://epubfixer.googlecode.com/svn/...n/x86/Release/

I have already added the requested change.

Last edited by Nigol; 04-01-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #101
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It depends on the cover. If it's an abstract image, or just a texture with letters, then distortion might not be hideous. As soon as there is any real image there (people, landscape, painting) distortion should be punished. The worst thing about the new 16:9 TV ratio is that it brought distortion everywhere, argh!
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #102
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
SO if you are interested in more up to date versions, just go on the google code page. I have added a compiled beta build to the subversion repository, so you can check the requested change there.

I have already added the requested change.
Thank you very much for this, Nigol
Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nigol, if you don't like white stripes then set the background to black and you won't have white strips. But depending on the color of the cover, it may or may not work.

If anyone makes an eBook with the aspect ratio incorrect, I think of them as a noob and should not be making eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #104
Barb-B
Tech appreciator
Barb-B began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro (wow I love this reader!)
Late to the thread, but... WOW

Just downloaded your little app, and it is seriously the most awesomely sweet little thing. I've been trying to do some editing of TOC in Sigil, and had gotten stuck on trying to figure out the NavPoint ID for where I wanted to add an entry. Your nifty tool was easy to use, and not only made it easy, but then I could re-open in Sigil and see what I'd been doing wrong before. Thanks so much for your masterfully nerdful contribution! !!!!!
Barb-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #105
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
I had your tool lying around for a while and because calibre has no way of simply replacing a cover without rebuilding the entire epub I decided to finally try epubfixer last week.
I have to say it is a delight to use and an excellent addition to other tools like calibre and sigil.
I feel that fundamental, simple, easy functionality like this should be build into calibre.
Thanks.

Last edited by Iskariot; 10-28-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, epubfixer, toc.ncx editor, tool