Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Kindle 3 header bar

Have you noticed that when you open a book from the Home menu, it will still display the header bar (with time and battery indicator) until you turn the page. The problem is that the presence of it affects the position of the text.

So if you open the book, go to next page, go back to the first page. The text layout is different because the header is no longer there.

Ok its just a matter of 1-2 line difference, but still thats kinda annoying.

Is it a bug or just the way it is?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
No it isn't a bug. A new feature in Kindle 3 is that the header disappears after a short while of opening up a new book so that's just how it works with all the books you read.

I think the idea was to remove distractions from the reading experience and also it does allow the displaying of more text.

Generally I think people tend to prefer this feature over it being always on with previous Kindle versions. Hopefully now you know it isn't a bug, you'll get used to it.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
Good grief, I am too engrossed in reading to worry about such things!
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Lol, I hadn't even noticed until I read this thread. For me... non-issue.
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
Troy is good
Troy is good began at the beginning.

Hey guys, first post

I have just started using a Kindle 3, and noticed there is a bar 'reload' with back and forward buttons. might be to do with the browser, but it comes up when I'm reading books and covers the top 2 lines of text

anyone else have this or know how to get rid of it?
Troy is good is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 04:34 AM   #6
warp
Connoisseur
warp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Dear Troy, welcome to the forum! Have never seen this while reading a book. What kind of document are you using, maybe a PDF? Can you provide a screenshot?
warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #7
Troy is good
Troy is good began at the beginning.

It appears it was probably just a buggy browser. I went into the browser again, opened a page, exited and it was gone. Thanks but.

FTR, it was a book purchased from the Kindle store.

Is there any info on when Australian newspapers and magazines might be able to be purchased for kindle?
Troy is good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Is there any way to restore k2 behavior to the header bar so the book title always shows? Or at least to be able to see it again after you start a book using a shortcut?
Thanks.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
waller4343
Enthusiast
waller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle DX, K3, iPad
I don't know of a way to keep the bar open all the time. But to just checkt the title and battery hit the menu button. When you see what you want hit menu again to close it.
waller4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Thanks, that will help! I've had all 3 kindles and am embarrassed I didn't think to do that simple thing. Would still like it to be there all the time, but glad there's an easy way to show it.
Janet
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
kaldvel
kaldvel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Troy is Good -- I experienced the same thing. I was trying to read and the top two lines were covered by the reload bar. I went in to the browser and then came back out and it was gone. Weird, but it worked!
kaldvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Hitting the Menu button is great for checking the time - no more looking for the clock. Wouldn't want it there all the time though - seeing the time updated while reading would be distracting. I'd like the same thing to happen with the locations bar, or as you said for the title, to have an option for it.

Amazon doesn't seem to like to have too many options. I guess with the number of Kindles out there it might generate too many questions. Lets hope they add it in the future as they get feedback and people get more comfortable with using it.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
RealAct
RealAct began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Is there any way to restore k2 behavior to the header bar so the book title always shows? Or at least to be able to see it again after you start a book using a shortcut?
Thanks.
I would rather have such an option too, hitting the Menu key doesn't cut it for me.
RealAct is offline   Reply With Quote