Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Mobile reading ... at 90 km/h

Don't think this piece of news has been reported yet.

Philips has filed a patent for e-ink displays that stand a great
deal of wear and tear -- and that could be used for lane markings
that can be modified to suit traffic conditions:

http://www.newscientisttech.com/chan...f-a-mouse.html

Sounds as if they got the concept of 'mobile reading' all mixed up ...
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
To change a center flow lane on the Roosevelt Bridge from Arlington, Virginia to Washington, DC they have a special vehicle to move the concrete dividers so that there is an extra lane inbound in the morning and an extra lane outbound in the afternoon. As I remember reading in the paper the vehicle cost about $500,000 US to build 20+ years ago and several hundred dollars a day to run. What a cost savings eink would be in that case. (The speed on the bridge at rush hour is never enough to require concrete dividers for safety.)

The fear I have of such technology is all of those small police departments that use speed traps to fund their operations from out-of-towners. It says 65 when you pass it and 35 when they write the ticket. Since e-ink looks so real it might even fool some of us.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I wonder how reflective these displays would be -- stripes and speed limit signs and such need to be pretty reflective to be much use in anything but good daylight conditions.

Of course this does bode well for increased durability in future e-ink displays.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
The fear I have of such technology is all of those small police departments that use speed traps to fund their operations from out-of-towners. It says 65 when you pass it and 35 when they write the ticket. Since e-ink looks so real it might even fool some of us.
Note to self: Do not offer RWood a job in my local police department.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
Note to self: Do not offer RWood a job in my local police department.
No, write him a part in a fictional PD in your next book!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seriously, though, I don't know how realistic it would be to use e-ink on highways on anything but regularly-changing signs. And with highway regulations (I've contracted with the FHWA for years), there would have to be a way to visually identify that sign as one that can change, as an advanced warning... and possibly additional non-changing warning signs before you read the changing sign. That's the way changeable speed limit signs are done around school zones, for example.

No one would be allowed by the FHWA to make a speed limit sign that looked exactly like a standard sign. If anyone did, and the public found out, politicians would be looking for new jobs (or safe houses).
Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Mythago
Mythago began at the beginning.

Sounds like something with great potential for hackers to mess with:
* Change eInk highway speed signs to infinity symbols
* Play pong or breakout on the road by selectively updating the eInk strips
* Cause chaos by updating the road lanes every few seconds - now there's one lane, now there's three, now there's a statement: "Th1s r04d is 0wn3d by h4ck3rz!"
* Attach a video camera to the back of an eInk sign so it shows whatever is behind it. If the sign was using bright, colored eInk it would go invisible at the right angle.

-Mythago
Mythago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I'd love to see a crashtest between a reader and a semi. Not mine please!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 03-13-2007 at 11:29 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Anchoku
Connoisseur
Anchoku doesn't litterAnchoku doesn't litter

Be careful about how seriously you take this article. Road and sign paint is highly reflective over a wide angle. While I haven't measured the paint, I am fairly certain it would greatly exceed that of E-Ink's technology; even after being baked, run over, rain and snowed on, and covered with dirt and solvents. Provided some miraculous survival technique allowed the electrophoretic strip to survive, it will still be compared to the paint's performance when being lit by headlights at a low angle some rainy night.
Anchoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
I'd love to see a crashtest between a reader and a semi. Not mine please!
You have a semi?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Road paint has tiny glass beads embedded in it (or at least it used to), to provide the necessary reflectivity. I think the paint on road signs has something similar. I guess one could have three layers of beads: opaque black, opaque white, and transparent, and for the "white" cells float the transparent beads above a middle layer of white beads, with the black beads at the bottom, then just move the black beads to the top for "black" cells. I don't know how well this would work in practice, even for a sign -- it seems to me that three layers would be quite a bit harder to manage than two. Or maybe the "white" beads in the current two-color system could be mirror-coated somehow. But given the substrate fragility problems reported for the iLiad, at least, I'd be skeptical about putting this stuff on a road.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

I wonder what those markings would look like after a winter with tire studs here in Canada. They have to repaint all markings every spring.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah, constant replacement/repainting of lines is a legitimate concern, given the punishment road surfaces get. That would have to be a LOT more expensive to replace than paint, so much so that I really can't see the point.