Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
"... and please switch off all electronic devices."

I kind of tend to ignore this message with regards to my eReader when in a plane waiting for departure, or close to landing. I was told by someone sitting next to me that continuing to read brought his live in danger.

Do others switch off their eReaders when you're asked to switch of "electronic devices"? And what about MP3 players and the like?
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
The problem there is not to have waves disturbing the plane's instruments.

Explain them your 505 is perfectly safe, it does neither wi-fi, 3G , gprs or anything, thus can't afftect the plane's electronics in any way.

You just need to make sure to deactivate wi-fi / 3g / bluetooth whenever relevent. (That's what plane mode on phones is for...)

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-23-2010 at 05:37 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
I would turn it off out of courtesy - i.e. consideration for the staff and other passengers.

The staff really don't have the time, or probably the expertise either, to go round and assess every device on a case by case basis. Even if your particular device may not be dangerous you can still be causing other passengers unnecessary stress by leaving it on.

So I'd suggest that turning it off when asked is a reasonable thing to do.
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Agree w/ ChrisC333 --- it's the polite thing to do.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The staff really don't have the time, or probably the expertise either, to go round and assess every device on a case by case basis.
True, that's why everyone should take care of their own device, and know if they can use it or not.

Quote:
Even if your particular device may not be dangerous you can still be causing other passengers unnecessary stress by leaving it on.
Anything not using wireless connexion or radio is perfectly fine. Why do cell phone have a plane mode, if not to use them safely in the planes rather than switch them off?

I spend some flight that are mostly go up / go down, and I shouldn't read all way long ?

By the way, does the kindle have option to deactivate 3G and wi-fi ?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Why do cell phone have a plane mode, if not to use them safely in the planes rather than switch them off?

So you can use them IN FLIGHT. During takeoff and landing, *anything* with a power switch is supposed to be turned off (in US domestic flights, anyway, don't know what foreign airlines do). Doesn't matter if it's a cell phone or a battery-operated nose hair trimmer.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
So you can use them IN FLIGHT. During takeoff and landing, *anything* with a power switch is supposed to be turned off (in US domestic flights, anyway, don't know what foreign airlines do).
There is something I don't get there. Either the device can disturb the plane's electronics, and it can do so anytime, either it can't.
Last I took the plan, i was using good old paper book. That was the trip to Denmark, it's pretty much take off, a few minutes flight, landing. So, no music. No Nintendo Ds. And now no reading either ?

The "everything off" exists for the reason ChrisC333 mentioned, to much of a mess to sort out wireless from non wireless. Not for real security reasons.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
True, that's why everyone should take care of their own device, and know if they can use it or not.
Come on - get real. Flight staff can't rely on every passenger being either fully informed about their toys, or being responsible either. Some folks don't know or care what the full story is, or may even be genuinely mistaken. There is a large range of electronic devices that can be taken on a plane, and neither the staff nor the owners can be 100% relied on to know exactly which may cause a problem under which settings or circumstances. Most won't cause trouble, but it may only take one person to get it wrong.

Quote:
Anything not using wireless connexion or radio is perfectly fine.
I spend some flight that are mostly go up / go down, and I shouldn't read all way long ?
Sure, it's a minor inconvenience, but in a public situation your personal wants aren't the only thing that matters. Can you really not understand that refusing to comply with the request to turn of all electronic devices can give the staff unnecessary hassles and also upset other pasengers who see you ignoring them? If reading during take-off and landing is really such a big deal, can't you take a pbook or magazine for those times? It seems like a minor nuisance for the general benefit to the others in the plane.
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I just turn them off out of courtesy, for all the reasons others have noted.

Anyone that thinks it's a big deal just needs to get over themselves IMO.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Flight staff can't rely on every passenger being either fully informed about their toys, or being responsible either.
They should. They have to.
What's stopping me from letting my cellphone on in my bag except my being responsible ? No one will see it, and that's more dangerous than using my reader in full sight.
So yes, they have to rely on passengers knowing what they are doing, because they can't see everything.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-23-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
The concern about electronic devices has to do with takeoff and landing because of the proximity to the ground. No one is concerned about a momentary interruption of some electronic gadgetry in flight at cruise - it's not that anyone thinks your book is going to suddenly cause the airplane to just fall out of the sky or cause the engines to just suddenly quit. However, during takeoff and landing, especially landing during low visibility, the airplane is navigating using precise instruments at very tight tolerances for error - you are, after all, flying just a few hundred feet off the ground at 200+ kmh, and during low visibility conditions like fog or a low cloud cover, your pilots cannot see out the windows and are relying entirely on those instruments to keep you from slamming into the ground, thus ensuring you wouldn't be able to finish your book. An interruption there, even just a momentary one, could have unpleasant consequences. No one in the industry actually thinks your book or your iPod or whatever is really going to cause a problem, but since all electronic gadgetry produces an electromagnetic field, it's at least theoretically possible that not just yours, but dozens of devices all operating at once, could cause a problem. It's a "better safe than sorry" principle.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
They should. They have to.
What's stopping me from letting my cellphone on in my bag except my being responsible ? No one will see it, and that's more dangerous than using my reader in full sight.
So yes, they have to rely on passengers knowing what they are doing, because they can't see everything.
There's a difference between expecting passengers not to be malicious (e.g. hiding their cellphone) and expecting passengers to have some understanding of whether or not their device can interfere with the plane's electronics.

The general public is not competent to judge whether or not their device will interfere, therefore it's a perfectly reasonable expectation that passeneger should just turn off their devices when asked to do so.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
There is something I don't get there. Either the device can disturb the plane's electronics, and it can do so anytime, either it can't.
The more stringent restriction at takeoff and landing is simply because in cruising flight there is more time to react to any problems.

Quote:
The "everything off" exists for the reason ChrisC333 mentioned, to much of a mess to sort out wireless from non wireless. Not for real security reasons.
*All* electronic devices radiate, to a greater or lesser extent, so the theoretical risk is not limited to wireless transmitting devices.

Passengers are generally not competent to judge whether or not the (admittedly probably miniscule) additional risk caused by not turning off the device is acceptable, so they should do what they are told.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
While I do turn off my reader if asked, I believe it has more to do with control and perceived danger (fears) than any real danger.

After all - in all those movies with bombs on planes, the terrorist is sitting there with a laptop (or something similar) with a big countdown timer on it (or red button he has to mouse over to)...so if nobody sees electronics out, nobody worries something nefarious is about to occur (at the most dangerous times for a plane).
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
Passengers are generally not competent to judge whether or not the (admittedly probably miniscule) additional risk caused by not turning off the device is acceptable, so they should do what they are told.

/JB
What do you do with electronic devices which cannot be turned off? Do you take the battery out of your digital watch?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote