Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
mshnryman
mshnryman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 2, Nook 1st Gen
Computer Crashing...ideas??

This is less a calibre issue and probably more a computer issue, but most every time that my computer crashes is when I am running calibre and processing multiple book conversions.

It's not like I'm having a BSOD exactly, the machine just shuts of as if the power has been disconnected. It has happened when plugged in at my apartment and now the same issue at my house, so it's obviously an issue with the computer itself that is exacerbated by a large # of calibre conversions.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is causing this and/or some tests that I could perform to narrow it down?

Thank you for any help!
mshnryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Try physically cleaning it; get all the heatsinks dust free so that there is good air flow, I have had PCs with this same problem.

If that doesn't fix it check all of the fans, make sure they spin at power on.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
mshnryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Try physically cleaning it; get all the heatsinks dust free so that there is good air flow, I have had PCs with this same problem.

If that doesn't fix it check all of the fans, make sure they spin at power on.
Thank you, that does sound like a reasonable path. I do recall PC's doing that when they overheat either from a stuck or unplugged fan. All fans are functional but I will be doing a physical clean and also maybe adding additional fans as my case has space for them.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another idea: run a memory check, such as memtest, bad ram could cause it, though I'd expect an error in that case...
Old 07-17-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Assumes fins and Grills are already lint free

Look at all fan blade while they are running. Are the turning smoothly? Renning without odd noises (growl,chatter) AT ANY TIME (usually happens at startup. This is a Warning call)

Be sure to check the GPU (may be on a Video card) and chipset fans

memtest 86+ (on many live CD's as well as a standalone bootable CD).
I went for years saying "what are all these Memory issues" folk talk aboun? The in less than 6 Months, 3 of my systems had RAM go south
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #6
mshnryman

Resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Another idea: run a memory check, such as memtest, bad ram could cause it, though I'd expect an error in that case...
Good call, you were definitely on point with the first one.

The heat sink was very hot and I attached a picture of the heat sink once I removed the fan. I've cleaned out and replaced, looks like the issue should be resolved!

Thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160717_213820 (Medium).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	150271  
Old 07-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshnryman View Post
Good call, you were definitely on point with the first one.

The heat sink was very hot and I attached a picture of the heat sink once I removed the fan. I've cleaned out and replaced, looks like the issue should be resolved!

Thank you very much!
That will do it
My experience is that older AMD's were even more sensitive to poor cooling than their Intel brothers.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Glad it was an easy fix