Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Bug: File -> Quit: editor crashes

Relevant specifications:

Windows 7 64-bit
Calibre 1.24 64-bit
Removed installation and re-installed (did not remove settings)

Steps to take:

1. Open any EPUB book in Editor (I've tested 4. 3 originals, 1 converted from AZW3.)
2. Click File->Quit.
3. The Editor does nothing. No feedback.
4. Click anything: Crash. Windows kills the program.

Additional information: the editor quits as normal when using:
- X close button
- Right-click titlebar -> Close
- System menu -> Close
- ALT-F4

The editor functions seem to work as normal, at least in the short while I've been able to use them in version 1.24.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-14-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Confirmed. Only, Edit Book does not crash but rather does not respond anymore. I have to manually close the program from pop-up window.
BTW: I'm using calibre 1.24 32bit

Last edited by DrChiper; 02-14-2014 at 03:18 PM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Verified with same setup here.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Confirmed. Only, Edit Book does not crash but rather does not respond anymore. I have to manually close the program from pop-up window.
BTW: I'm using calibre 1.24 32bit
When clicking File->Quit, the Editor stops responding. Then, when clicking anything else (in the Editor), Windows pops up the "This program needs to be closed" dialog.

AFAIK, that's a crash
Old 02-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Did you ever see Crocodile Dundee? "Now That's a Knife" How about a blue screen of death? (grin)
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Did you ever see Crocodile Dundee? "Now That's a Knife" How about a blue screen of death? (grin)
I have seen only a few BSOD's in the last 15 years (I'm on Windows NT since 1996, and never used 95, 98, or ME), and they were all caused by a crappy hardware driver. BSOD's are not regular occurences here. Neither are re-installs: this installation now runs for almost 6 years, and actually is an in-place upgrade from a previous Windows Vista install.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Relevant specifications:

Windows 7 64-bit
Calibre 1.24 64-bit
Removed installation and re-installed (did not remove settings)

Steps to take:

1. Open any EPUB book in Editor (I've tested 4. 3 originals, 1 converted from AZW3.)
2. Click File->Quit.
3. The Editor does nothing. No feedback.
4. Click anything: Crash. Windows kills the program.

Additional information: the editor quits as normal when using:
- X close button
- Right-click titlebar -> Close
- System menu -> Close
- ALT-F4

The editor functions seem to work as normal, at least in the short while I've been able to use them in version 1.24.
Confirmed on Ubuntu 12.10.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Problem with Editor and calibre 1.24

Hi,

I have a problem with 32 bits calibre version 1.24 on Windows 7. At this moment, any time I try to close the editor, it keeps open, and when I try to close the window the answer is always "calibre-parallel not answering", and not waiting for it.

Note: As for now, I see that it closes... after a couple of minutes or more.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 02-14-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
...and, as to be expected, Win 8.x too.

Re BSODs: For at least the last 12-15 years I have seen as many BSODs as I have seen unicorns in our garden; perhaps unicorns are causal?
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
...and, as to be expected, Win 8.x too.

Re BSODs: For at least the last 12-15 years I have seen as many BSODs as I have seen unicorns in our garden; perhaps unicorns are causal?
Maybe they're not indigenous to your locale

Hmmm - I normally quit programs via Alt+Space/C it seems to work in the editor, as does ctrl/q, as does top right red cross

I cant get to File menu with Alt/F have to use the rodent, click Quit and I get attachment.

BTW : MS nicked the BSOD from OS/2

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2014-02-15 , 10_40_30.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	119105  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...1e9dedaeb80586
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

LOL. You actually forgot to shut down the editor, or was that like somehow removed by accident?

What happened?
Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
One particular code path -- the one triggered by File->Quit -- did not call the editor cleanup code. The cleanup code is responsible for (among other things) shutting down the worker process. The main process was recently changed to wait for the worker process to shutdown cleanly before terminating -- this caused the perceived hang for that code path.

Though if you wait 120 seconds the main process will give up and quit anyway and the worker process will then shutdown uncleanly.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
... I cant get to File menu with Alt/F have to use the rodent...
FWIW - This loss of Alt/F, Alt/E etc seems to coincide with the edit and preview panels getting out of synch, which happens occasionally - my workaround involves terminating and restarting the editor.

If I stumble on a reproducible sequence of actions I'll post a report at launchpad.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post

Classic scene.