Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
New Paperwhite Sticker Shock - Removal

I can't believe Amazon simply slapped a label or two (in my case) on my Paperwhite box and shipped it out. No outer box or anything to protect it. So I had a great big UPS label on top of the box and a smaller one. Since it was still fresh I gently peeled them both off. It worked, sorta. However if you haven't done this yet, I would advise using the hairdryer method and warming the labels first because I was left with a ripple from the larger label.

And then I had the sticker residue to contend with. What worked for me was Acetone. I always have a bottle on hand since I use this instead of nail polish remover. It's right in the same section in Walmart. We used to use Acetone to remove paint when I screen printed Tshirts and made a misprint (like a fingerprint on the shoulder or something). I find it comes in handy around the house for clothes so I always buy that instead. It didn't stain the box or anything and I had to rub it several times.
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
I can't believe Amazon simply slapped a label or two (in my case) on my Paperwhite box and shipped it out. No outer box or anything to protect it. So I had a great big UPS label on top of the box and a smaller one. Since it was still fresh I gently peeled them both off. It worked, sorta. However if you haven't done this yet, I would advise using the hairdryer method and warming the labels first because I was left with a ripple from the larger label.

And then I had the sticker residue to contend with. What worked for me was Acetone. I always have a bottle on hand since I use this instead of nail polish remover. It's right in the same section in Walmart. We used to use Acetone to remove paint when I screen printed Tshirts and made a misprint (like a fingerprint on the shoulder or something). I find it comes in handy around the house for clothes so I always buy that instead. It didn't stain the box or anything and I had to rub it several times.
Amazon has been shipping Kindles like that as long as I can remember. Do you really want to pay for the expense of placing the boxed Kindle in another box? That would take employee time and add weight, thus increasing handling/shipping fees. Besides, the Kindles are well protected in their single box containers which are cleaverly engineered to work for shipping.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
On the box?

What's the problem?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
They did the same thing when I bought my Kindle Keyboard. I think it's just normal Amazon shipping procedure.
Outrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
I can't believe Amazon simply slapped a label or two (in my case) on my Paperwhite box and shipped it out. No outer box or anything to protect it. So I had a great big UPS label on top of the box and a smaller one.
I can't believe it either. What carelessness! My Kindles have always shipped inside a shipping box with padding. I fully expect any electronic device to be shipped as such. If not, Amazon will get an earful for careless shipping.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
all my kindles arrived in their original boxes, but no outer box. And it always worked just fine.

Now why exactly are you so worried about the labels on your box ? Are you looking at putting the device for sale on ebay or craigslist?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've never had outer packaging, always just the kindle box.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I'm for anything that eliminates waste. It has always appeared to me that the Kindle boxes were designed to be shipping boxes as well. The device is quite well protected.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I can't believe it either. What carelessness! My Kindles have always shipped inside a shipping box with padding. I fully expect any electronic device to be shipped as such. If not, Amazon will get an earful for careless shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200285450
I think these "frustration free" packages are designed to protect whatever is inside while being shipped without any extra boxes.
Outrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
On the box?

What's the problem?
I'm not sure, but for some reason or another, I think the OP wanted the box it came in to be pristine.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
My Kindle 1 was shipped as a box within a box. The original K1 box is really very pretty.

From Kindle 2 on I have received the single box. All Kindles have arrived damage free and in good condition. Amazon is trying to help reduce waste, which is good for the environment. I support them in their efforts.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'm not sure, but for some reason or another, I think the OP wanted the box it came in to be pristine.
If that's true, the OP may have request gift packaging in the future.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
Maybe I ordered the Power Adapter with mine last time. I just didn't have a sticker on my box. Just in case I trade mine in again I didn't want that great big sticker with my name and address on it.

Last edited by allowingtoo; 10-01-2013 at 04:10 PM.
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrager View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200285450
I think these "frustration free" packages are designed to protect whatever is inside while being shipped without any extra boxes.
My Kindles have never been shipped that way.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My Kindles have never been shipped that way.
All of mine have come in a single box. That includes K2, KDXG, three K3s, K4, Touch, and three PW1s.