Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #271
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
@Titano, @ixtab

thanks for the answers. managed to change the order of items in my launcher using the method, except HackedUpReader, which had been added to the launcher using the HackedUpReaderExtension. HackedUpReader has no menu.json and ends up as the 1st item on the list.
Try using Varnie's Launcher here you might need to change a few other things in the file to launcher hacked up reader though. If you want it to launch hacked up reader you need change the path for the executable. It should look something like below.
Code:
{"name": "Launch HackedUpReader", "priority": 1, "action": "/mnt/us/hackedupreader/bin/cr3"}
You can read about this in the first post of hacked up reader here.
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #272
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
thanks for the answers. managed to change the order of items in my launcher using the method, except HackedUpReader, which had been added to the launcher using the HackedUpReaderExtension. HackedUpReader has no menu.json and ends up as the 1st item on the list.
That's because the priority is set when the launcher entry is generated in the Java code of the hackedupreader extension.

AFAIK there is currently no way of setting the priority for a Java implemented launcher item outside of the code itself.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #273
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
One more extension: load/unload Reading Timer reader plugin (hidden feature present on newer Kindle PaperWhite). Can anybody help me (or address me) on generating a proper install/uninstall package?
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #274
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
@pirl8

Niluje released an updated packager to make the .bin files.
It's an updated version of the original python script.

Have a look here
EDIT: NOW FIXED. Cheers Niluje
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=187880

Last edited by twobob; 09-16-2012 at 02:23 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #275
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: Broken link (the ellipsis isn't a fake one ).

@pirl8: Between the examples in there and ixtab's packages, you should have enough reading material to get how this works .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #276
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@pirl8: Feel free to create an installer package, but I personally think it's a bit over the top.

After all, the installation is achieved by copying a folder into the "extensions" folder on the USB disk, and restarting the framework. That's exactly the same amount of effort as copying a bin file to the USB disk and updating the framework.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #277
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@pirl8: Feel free to create an installer package, but I personally think it's a bit over the top.

After all, the installation is achieved by copying a folder into the "extensions" folder on the USB disk, and restarting the framework. That's exactly the same amount of effort as copying a bin file to the USB disk and updating the framework.
I definitely agree!
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #278
blueshiftlabs
blueshiftlabs doesn't litterblueshiftlabs doesn't litter

Device: DXG, PW1, PW5
Does this work with the Paperwhite, too? I've been trying to get it to install without any luck. "Update Your Kindle" is grayed out, and when I remount my PW, the update file is gone from the root directory.
blueshiftlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #279
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshiftlabs View Post
Does this work with the Paperwhite, too? I've been trying to get it to install without any luck. "Update Your Kindle" is grayed out, and when I remount my PW, the update file is gone from the root directory.
Actually, it's a bliss that these update files contain markers for the devices that they can run on, and that they refuse to run on other devices - otherwise, we'd probably be swamped by requests from users who bricked their Kindle by installing an update file which doesn't work on their device.

If you're really adventurous, you can try to install it manually via usbnetwork. But because the home screen has been completely changed on the PW, chances are that you'll just entirely screw up everything - maybe up to the point of bricking the device. And remember, the only current known way to debrick the device is via a serial console - physically opening the device and all that.

So: no, at this point it is NOT recommended to try this on the PW.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-07-2012 at 06:17 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #280
Kobudera
Hungarian
Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kindle
Hi!

My Kindle details are:
Kindle Touch
fw: 5.1.2
I've installed Jailbreak 1.7N but the "update your Kindle" option doesn't work after I've put the BIN of the Gui Launcher Installer.
I did everything as it have to but it doesn't work.
Could you help me?
Kobudera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #281
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur
Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Maybe you have to use the command to update your kindle manually over console or usbnetwork if you have a .bin file in your root (mnt/us/).

Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.ota startUpdate 1
I am not sure that this works for you so do not be sad if this not work.

Best regards
Bagerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #282
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobudera View Post
Hi!

My Kindle details are:
Kindle Touch
fw: 5.1.2
I've installed Jailbreak 1.7N but the "update your Kindle" option doesn't work after I've put the BIN of the Gui Launcher Installer.
I did everything as it have to but it doesn't work.
Could you help me?
I shoved that in

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...30&postcount=7

as i got tired of typing..
labelled as RUN GRAY INSTALL

Last edited by twobob; 12-02-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: labelled as RUN GRAY INSTALL
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #283
h1ro
Enthusiast
h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo HD
I managed to run this on paperwhite, but the keyboard part doesn't get displayed. Any ideas?
h1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #284
h1ro
Enthusiast
h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
chances are that you'll just entirely screw up everything - maybe up to the point of bricking the device. And remember, the only current known way to debrick the device is via a serial console - physically opening the device and all that.

So: no, at this point it is NOT recommended to try this on the PW.
can you please elaborate on the risks here? I can't understand what is so dangerous about it. perhaps I'm missing some automagic?
h1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #285
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hey guys, I need a little help getting this working. I'm trying to install this so that I can use the K5 Reading Timer launcher extension.

During installation, the kindle gave me a message saying that the update was successful and rebooted. The problem is I do not see a new launcher option in the home screen menu, nor in the book menu.

My Kindle Touch with SOs is on 5.1.2 and it is jailbroken (with the data.stgz file). No other hacks have been applied.

Here are the steps I took to install:
1. extracted and copied the update_launcher_1.0.1_install.bin file (and nothing else) to the root directory of my kindle while it was mounted as a usb drive.
2. Unmounted my kindle and disconnected the usb cable.
3. used Menu > Settings, Menu > Update your Kindle

The update did install an extensions folder with sub-folders and files for orientation and usbnetwork. I also followed the steps to add the reading timer extension and rebooted, but of course I still do not see the "Launcher" menu item, nor any other additional menu options that I didn't already have before.

Did I miss an installation step?

Last edited by dukesilver; 01-04-2013 at 04:59 PM.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks