Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
mimosawind
mimosawind began at the beginning.

Device: none
Permissable Spine Media Type Error

When I validated todays epub it resulted in multiple errors, which upon fixing created more. I finally have it down to just two which relate. Here's what I'm getting - any insight as to how to fix I'd appreciate. Pretty sure my brain is about to blow up.

ERROR: copy.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(20): 'image/jpeg' is not a permissible spine media-type
ERROR: copy.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(17): hyperlink to non-standard resource 'OEBPS/images/Cover_fmt.jpeg' of type 'image/jpeg'

I was having a major issue getting the cover to properly show on the "shelf" and such (currently testing on iPad - iBooks) and finally got it to, but that has resulted in these errors... Oh the joys.
mimosawind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Look in the wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ebook_Covers for the instructions on how to put a cover page in ePub.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
mimosawind

Thanks, DaleDe - however I've already been down that route. If there's a site out there that deals with applying a cover to an ePub, I've read it. Finding what to do with these errors on the other hand led to an empty 3 hour search which resulted in the post.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosawind View Post
Thanks, DaleDe - however I've already been down that route. If there's a site out there that deals with applying a cover to an ePub, I've read it. Finding what to do with these errors on the other hand led to an empty 3 hour search which resulted in the post.
Well, if you looked at the wiki you would see you don't need to put jpg in the spine and you reference an html in the ncx file with the jpg inside. That will solve your problem, and they will work on iBooks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
mimosawind

Dale - InDesign was auto-dropping the files in. I personally didn't put them there so I never thought of removing them. Thanks for the tip. My headache finally went away.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosawind View Post

ERROR: copy.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(20): 'image/jpeg' is not a permissible spine media-type
ERROR: copy.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(17): hyperlink to non-standard resource 'OEBPS/images/Cover_fmt.jpeg' of type 'image/jpeg'
I think you'll find that only HTML files can go in the spine, and that the toc.ncx navpoints likewise can only reference HTML files. I always make a Coverpage.html file and link to that.

You don't mention how you are producing the ePub - by hand, by Sigil, or by InDesign. If you are producing them by hand I'd be happy to send you examples of files that I know work and validate with ePubCheck and FlightCrew.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote