Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Plowman
Plowman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
html2lrf or Sony Library software problem?

So, I was trying to convert an HTML ebook to LRF format today using the command line version of libprs500. I used this command:

html2lrf --author="Murphy, C.E." title="The Negotiator Trilogy 02 - House Of Cards" --base-font-size=6 "<long book name here>"

The conversion completed successfully, but when I imported it into the Sony software the title was "The Negotiator Trilogy - House Of Cards" ... notice the missing "02". I thought I maybe had done the conversion wrong and re-did it, making sure to type everything the way I wanted (see above). Deleted it from the Sony software and re-imported it. Same result. Loading the file into the libprs500 GUI app showed that the file had the wrong title.

I checked the HTML file and the title tag was empty, so I put one in there and re-converted. Same problem.

Could I have done something wrong? Did I maybe type it wrong and the Sony software and libprs500 GUI kept showing cached data from the original incorrect file? Is there any way to correct this?

Thanks for any help,

Plowman
Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can check what metadata is in a file by using the command

lrf-meta filename.lrf
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Plowman

Well, after doing a fresh convert using the command listed in the first post, the lrf-meta returns the incorrect info. It leaves out the "02" in the title.

Any suggestions on where to look?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have -- missing before title in your command line
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Plowman

The missing "--" was just a typo in the post. Although I re-converted the file half a dozen times, and was sure I was doing it correctly, after doing it again today it worked fine...I must have not been copying the correct file over or something.

Sorry for the hassle, and thanks for the help.

P
Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
I don't know, does anyone know if there's some rule about the metadata not being able to handle numbers? I would be shocked if it couldn't, though.

As for what to do about it, the only thing I can think is try some variations and see what works and what doesn't. You've got numbers (02) and a symbol (-) in there. Try it without those, try just one number in a word or something (Hou2se) and see if it will come through that way. Sometime in unix "escaping" characters is important. You might try (\2) instead of (2). At any rate while you're messing around maybe the real answer will come to you.

You might also just try to find some software where you can fix the metadata in a gui or on the command line, without having to reconvert the whole book. Not sure right off what those would be, but it might save you some hassle.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
> if there's some rule about the metadata not being able to handle numbers?

There's not - it's fine with them. This is something specific to the OP.

> software where you can fix the metadata ... on the command line

Kovid's lrf-meta lets you edit as well as view the metadata.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have used numbers in the metadata and it's worked without a hitch.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
html2lrf, libprs500