Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: April 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Super Sad True Love Story: A Novel by Gary Shteyngart 6 10.53%
The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady by Elizabeth Stuckey-French 5 8.77%
The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobsen 3 5.26%
The Night Life of the Gods by Thorne Smith 4 7.02%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 9 15.79%
The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut Jr 6 10.53%
Naked by David Sedaris 2 3.51%
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons 3 5.26%
The Diaries of Adam and Eve (also called extracts from Adam and Eve's diary) by Mark Twain 5 8.77%
Hal Spacejock #1 by Simon Haynes 14 24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Voted for Cold Comfort Farm, looks like a lot of fun.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before anyone votes, watch the following so you can vote for the radioactive lady,

Here is the trailer for the book The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady.

By the way, this is available at libraries in the USA and Canada via Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #18
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It looks like a bunch of good ones this time. I plan on using the poll as a TBR list!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #19
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I voted for The Sirens of Titan; I've been meaning to get around to it for a while!

The Radioactive Lady, Super Sad Love Story and Hal Spacejock didn't interest me; but there are lots of yummy things in the remaining titles. Given that The Finkler Question, btw, won the 2010 Man Booker prize, it should be available in most Overdrive library collections.

(BTW, The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady is NOT available in the Toronto library system, and, other than Alberta, isn't available anywhere in Canada except Ontario via Overdrive.)
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #20
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
I voted for The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady, which I (surprisingly) found available for download at my local library in the southwestern US. I'm now sorry to learn that it isn't available most places in Canada via Overdrive. While it sounds interesting, I wouldn't have chosen to pay ~ $12 for it, and I can't really urge others to do so.

I did buy Hal Spacejock, in spite of the fact that I have doubts about it, since it was only $1.99. Although I have read both Confederacy of Dunces and The Sirens of Titan, I'd welcome a reason to reread either of them. This will be the first time I have participated in the MR book club, and look forward to doing so.

Last edited by redbees; 03-26-2011 at 05:45 PM.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
If either Cold Comfort Farm or The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady where less, I'd be happy. I'm still willing to give Hal Spacejock a chance, but would feel silly about missing out on the omnibus price, if I should actually like it.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #22
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I voted for The Sirens of Titan; I've been meaning to get around to it for a while!

The Radioactive Lady, Super Sad Love Story and Hal Spacejock didn't interest me; but there are lots of yummy things in the remaining titles. Given that The Finkler Question, btw, won the 2010 Man Booker prize, it should be available in most Overdrive library collections.

(BTW, The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady is NOT available in the Toronto library system, and, other than Alberta, isn't available anywhere in Canada except Ontario via Overdrive.)

Yes, unfortunately even though The Radioactive Lady may be in the Overdrive system, it is not available in either of my points of access to that system (Wisconsin state system, or Philadelphia Free Library). Sigh, not even available in paper form in my local library system.

Super Sad Love Story did not interest me either. From the teaser it just struck me as too much like the script for an extended episode of Friends; that television series about a group of whiny self-adsorbed 20-30 somethings. Just my opinion, different strokes for different folks.

Naked? I have already read some Sedaris and do not care to read any more.

Hal Spacejock #1 looks like a fun little read. It apparently is only available for purchase from the author's web site, but that's alright as it is only $1.99. It may be a bit light weight to generate a lot of discussion, but this is the comedy month.

Still I would be happy to read and participate for any selection except Naked, and maybe Super Sad Love Story.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Put in a request for it. They might get it for you.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Yes, unfortunately even though The Radioactive Lady may be in the Overdrive system, it is not available in either of my points of access to that system (Wisconsin state system, or Philadelphia Free Library). Sigh, not even available in paper form in my local library system.
Request it at Philly. They are very good about that. I've requested stuff and they have gotten it.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #25
8annika.yael
Enthusiast
8annika.yael doesn't litter8annika.yael doesn't litter8annika.yael doesn't litter

Device: none
Talking

tough choice.
and i made an unpopular one.
_i'm going to read it anyway!
8annika.yael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #26
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It will be a hoot to re-read Hal Spacejock, if it wins.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I went ahead and voted for Hal. It was my first choice, and I keep coming back to it despite my reservations. Here's to happy reading!

Last edited by Nyssa; 03-27-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: too many commas
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #28
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I went for Super Sad True Love Story.

I've re-read Hal too many times to be interested in re-reading it again.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #29
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So Confederacy of Dunces is coming on strong. Actually it would be cool to have a tie with Hal Spacejock. Two book of the month choices to discuss? Hal Spacejock does not look to me like more than a couple of days read, so easily doable.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #30
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Anyone read A Confederacy of Dunces?

Is it heavy and tragicomic or light and tragicomic? Just trying to work out if I'll purchase it and read it if it bests Hal in the polls.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote