Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSSM View Post
I wonder what the battery duration would look like. If such a device lasts a day in "e-ink mode" (I know the term is not exactly correct), I would be perfectly content with it. Charging it once a day is not a bigge (over night?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
My understanding is that in "e-ink mode" the Adam is supposed to last up to 160 hours. Which is mentioned in this Slashgear article.

Etienne66
160 hours works for me. Even the one day mark would be ok as well assuming that the battery is user replaceable since it would probably wear out in a few years if you're charging it daily or close to it.

I'm still really looking forward to the Adam, although I did stop holding my breath sometime in June.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
I'm planning to replace my OLPC with one of these. After getting spoiled with a Pixel Qi display, it's unthinkable to go back to the limitations of a standard LCD, so this is my only real upgrade option.
What device are you using that spoiled you with a Pixel Qi display?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
What device are you using that spoiled you with a Pixel Qi display?
I've been using an OLPC XO (from the One Laptop Per Child program) for a couple of years, which has the first-generation 8-inch 1200x900 Pixel Qi screen. Running Ubuntu and with the screen flipped around on top of the keyboard in tablet mode, it makes a good reader. The little machine just doesn't have the RAM and CPU power (256MB, 433MHz) to cope well with some of the other tasks I use it for, so I'm looking for an upgrade.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
The 160-hour figure is rather ridiculous, and highly, highly unlikely even with good low-power boards. 160 hours in standby, which means the screen is off and the device is not actively in use, is possible.
I don't think the Adam will come anywhere close to 160 hours for any type of realistic usage scenario. However, even if the real figure is only a quarter of that, it'll still be very impressive.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #20
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
The real issue is the apps. I truly doubt that the Adam will have robust apps to do everything I want it to do. Apple has spent quite a bit of time on iPad software, and even in that case, I find the iPad a bit short if your don't add in the apps. Frankly, even with the apps I suspect it'll be a much better product for me if you give it another year of app maturity.

My point is that I doubt the Adam crew has anywhere near the resources provided by Apple. I suspect that at its launch it will be a platform waiting for 3rd party apps to be complete. Once the android tablet market takes off you will also probably see tablet apps taking off. I think it'll be a year before it gets mature/interesting.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #21
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Personally I don't like Apples walled gardens. Since the Adam will be using Android. Anyone can program anything for it. I think it will be no time at all before students and other open source aficionados will have many useful applications. I don't think it would be long before we find Open Office available for it. But it might take that year you suggest before open source applications are fine tuned for a touch screen.

The real question will be if and when the Adam has access to the Google Marketplace.

Personally I think it is too early to successfully predict the Adams success or failure, but I will never bow down before Steve Jobs house of worship. I'd rather be the "Martin Luther" that posts a list of all of the faults of the church of St. Steve Jobs on the door of One Apple Way. But there are those that are completely satisfied with that religion and would defend it to their dying breath. I'm sure glad I live in a free country.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #22
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, if the Adam is Droid powered, it'll come with an already extensive app base that you can tap into. Then all they'll need to do is give access to the app store.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Well, if the Adam is Droid powered, it'll come with an already extensive app base that you can tap into. Then all they'll need to do is give access to the app store.
I hope it does come with the Android Marketplace, but I found this article which mentions that some tablets will not come with it. The author hoped the Adam would come with it, but did not have a definitive answer.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #24
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I suspect we will be able to find a way to load market apps on it, even if its not supported. However, my goal isn't to have a 10-inch smartphone (and its apps), but to have a tablet device. As such, I suspect that specific apps for the tablet form factor will come, but that it will take time to build up a rich set of tablet apps.

And, frankly, no professional developers are going to pay a lot of attention until the market is large enough. Look at the app experience in Android. With a G1 as the only device, the apps came slowly. Add in the other HTC phones, plus Samsung and Motorola in the market and a few million more devices and we see a very rich app market.

Similarly, I expect the android tablet app market to explode once we have Android 3.0 plus tablets from Samsung, Motorola, HTC, Adam, plus more. However, I still expect it to take a year or so to reach maturity.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 AM   #25
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Even if Android market doesn't come on it, there's still a way to load them onto the tablet, or directly add the market yourself. The only thing that they will achieve by removing market, or preventing apps on it from being located externally is to alienate customers. Of course, the only customers that would be totally locked out would be those who wouldn't know how to hack stuff onto the tablet. The rest of us "uber nerds" would just nerf the system stopping us and then load the tablet with anything we wanted.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #26
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've been using an OLPC XO (from the One Laptop Per Child program) for a couple of years, which has the first-generation 8-inch 1200x900 Pixel Qi screen.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's a Pixel Qi screen. It may have been developed by the same people before they broke off and started Pixel Qi as a separate company, but it has relatively little in common with the current displays that Pixel Qi is working on.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #27
RoboRay
Zealot

It's the original Pixel Qi screen, developed exclusively for the One Laptop Per Child program. The new commercially-available Pixel Qi screens are improvements of the same technology they used on the OLPC. The main improvement seems to be full RGB subpixels for each pixel on the display. The original Pixel Qi screens on the OLPC lacked subpixels and each pixel was limited to a single color by the color filter layer between the transflective layer and the backlight. This improved color fidelity and better contrast appear to be the main improvements for the newer versions.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
It's the original Pixel Qi screen, developed exclusively for the One Laptop Per Child program.
Did Pixel Qi exist when the OLPC XO was developed?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #29
RoboRay
Zealot

Mary Lou Jepsen developed the screen technology specifically for OLPC's XO device. She launched the separate company later on, to commerciallize it. There's a two-way licensing agreement betwen the organizations, allowing Pixel Qi to use, sell and improve the technology developed for the XO, and for OLPC to also have access to any further refinements coming out of Pixel Qi.

Last edited by RoboRay; 09-28-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #30
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
She launched the separate company later on
So OLPC doesn't have a Pixel Qi screen.