Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2016, 12:18 AM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Kobo Glo HD Replacement

Haven't visited for awhile as I don't have the time to play with gadgets like I used to. I've always had both a Kindle (back to K1) for Amazon books and an ePub reader. A huge Sony fan back in the day PRS-505/350/650...then switched to Kobo. (Am I the only one who wishes Sony was still making eReaders or am I just showing my age? )

A few months ago, I bought a Kobo Glo HD as a backup for my older Kobo Glo. The original Glo only got occasional use as it wasn't as stable as my PW.

After initially taking my Glo HD out of the box, I didn't use it as my PW had become my go to reader. When I decided to start using the Glo HD, I noticed the battery didn't last beyond 1 sitting. I didn't check here (or I would've noticed it was a firmware issue) so started playing with the Power settings and now its a brick...can't charge it, can't reset it.

Because the Glo HD is still under warranty and they no longer make it, Kobo CS has offered me a Aura 2nd Edition plus $10 credit. While the cost is the same, it doesn't seem comparable. I am now torn as to what I should do:

1) Take the offer - it's not my primary reader as my Kindle PW gets more use - it just seems like I am going backwards. I've read mixed reviews on Kobo CS here so part of me says I should just take what I can get.

2) Ask for a full refund (my older reader works for the most part) and wait to see if something I want comes along. I am open to suggestions for other brands as I am less than thrilled with Kobo long term reliability after owning 2 but I don't see anything else recommended here.

3) See if I can pay the difference to upgrade to the Aura H2O. Waterproof isn't really a need. I like the idea of a slightly larger screen but the 6" readers seem good for portability/size. Plus not sure if it's worth having an expensive 2nd reader given my less than thrilling experiences with Kobos.

My needs are basic and really haven't evolved much with technology...no time to play with devices like I used to - lit screen, clear/crisp text (I am in denial about the need for reading glasses and I DO need them lol), ePub, sideload books, collections, Calibre supported, reliable.

I know it's largely personally preference but I figure I am torn so appreciate thoughts/input.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:45 AM   #2
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
If you noticed an improvement in screen text sharpness when you went from Glo to Glo HD, then you may be disappointed with the replacement offered. If you didn't, then the Aura they have offered should suffice.

The H2O is a better reader, but I was surprised that I stopped using mine because I found it a bit big for me - I found it uncomfortable to hold beyond about 20 mins. Others love the bigger format.

There are other nice, but less common, epub readers out there - though they may take a little more set up work initially. Models which come to mind are:

Pocketbook Touch HD (300 dpi screen)
Tolino Shine 2 HD or Tolino Vision 4 HD (both have 300 dpi screens)
Inkbook Obsidian or Prime (these have 212 dpi screens like the Aura 2 Kobo have offered you)

It is a shame they cannot offer a replacement Glo HD, because I feel that would suit you best. You could see if there is a 3rd party seller offering the Glo HD, though you may not want to take that risk in view of your original Glo HD unit failure.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2016, 05:53 AM   #3
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
There were never reports of the Glo HD having battery issues, as far as I know -- that's only the Kobo Aura One. You probably just got a defective device and didn't notice immediately due to having the PW as your usual reader.

If I were you, I would ask for a full refund and try to search for another Glo HD, or at least try another Kobo, as it seems to fit all of your needs and there's plenty of support here on mobileread if you ever needed help with it. Otherwise, I've heard very good things about the Tolino ereaders - I would recommend the last two models (Vision 3HD and Vision 4HD) in particular - but I have no idea about their availability in the US, and if they'll do all of the things you need them to do, especially collections.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
After initially taking my Glo HD out of the box, I didn't use it as my PW had become my go to reader. When I decided to start using the Glo HD, I noticed the battery didn't last beyond 1 sitting. I didn't check here (or I would've noticed it was a firmware issue) so started playing with the Power settings and now its a brick...can't charge it, can't reset it.
When you say you can't reset it, have you tried the full hardware factory reset procedure a few times, including charging it for a few hours first, and making sure the device is off with a long press of the power button?

Was it new or secondhand?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest you ask Kobo about getting an H2O. You'd love it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Obviously getting your money back would be best, as that would give you maximum flexibility. That may not be feasible.

The Aura 2 may be your only option. Church mouse mentioned the comparison to the original Glo. You also didn't say which version of the PW you have - if it's the PW3, you may not ever like the Aura. On the other hand. If it's the PW2, switching between the two should be without issue.

If you can get the H2O for an extra $50, I'd be tempted, especially if you decide you don't like a 212 ppi resolution. The additional acreage is very nice and you can make the PW your out-and-about reader.

The difficulty with the more esoteric options is that they'll cost you more and also cause potential customer service issues. I don't think they work as seamlessly with Calibre to create shelves, either.

But you may have to make your peace with the Aura 2 as better than nothing. Plus ten bucks to spend on books.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Thank you all for your input as it gave me more to think about. I wrote Kobo to see if I could get a refund or pay the difference to upgrade to the Aura H20.

If I get a refund, I may consider getting a Glo HD elsewhere as I really thing its the right device for my use. It's good to know that my issues just seem to be a lemon and my issues were not common. Since changing the power settings, I can't do a factory reset and I can't charge it...when plugged into my computer, my computer doesn't see it. When plugged into an outlet, it gets very warm but doesn't charge.

I used to be a gadget freak but it was just becoming a hassle (and expensive) always keeping up with the latest...researching/buying, configuring, jail-breaking/rooting, transferring data, etc. Now I just like to buy things that do what I want out of the box and changing only when there is something really compelling. I'm becoming my parents

Since my upgrades are less frequent, I really don't want to go backwards. When I do buy something, I like having the latest. Let's see what Kobo says to my ask.

Been a bad year for upgrades for me...a Samsung Note 3 phone owner who waited for the Note 7 and with that fiasco, didn't want to settle for a Note 5
Old 12-02-2016, 01:29 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I get a refund, I may consider getting a Glo HD elsewhere as I really thing its the right device for my use. It's good to know that my issues just seem to be a lemon and my issues were not common. Since changing the power settings, I can't do a factory reset and I can't charge it...when plugged into my computer, my computer doesn't see it. When plugged into an outlet, it gets very warm but doesn't charge.
Apologies if this is way too obvious, but have you tried other microUSB cables?
Old 12-03-2016, 11:35 PM   #9
Boston
Fanatic

No need to apologize. I appreciate any suggestions. Unfortunately, multiple cables and power sources tried without luck.

I haven't heard back from Kobo. If I don't hear back from them by mid-week, I may just need to take their offer. I sort of wanted to try the H20 to see if it might also be a good upgrade for my mother who needs a very large font size and still uses a 6" ebook reader (as long as it isn't too heavy).
Old 12-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
[...] I may just need to take their offer. I sort of wanted to try the H20 to see if it might also be a good upgrade for my mother who needs a very large font size and still uses a 6" ebook reader (as long as it isn't too heavy).
There are a fair few happy H2O users here, including me. The screen size does make quite a difference if you need a larger font.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I sort of wanted to try the H20 to see if it might also be a good upgrade for my mother who needs a very large font size and still uses a 6" ebook reader (as long as it isn't too heavy).
If you're looking for more screen real estate for a bigger font it's worth looking at the Kobo Aura One. I'm still amazed how small my H2O seems when I go back to it now that the KA1 is my main reader. It doesn't seem like a big difference, but it is. Since they went with a smaller battery the weight is virtually identical. Depending how she holds it, the extra weight from either of these bigger screens might or might not bother her.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No need to apologize. I appreciate any suggestions. Unfortunately, multiple cables and power sources tried without luck.

I haven't heard back from Kobo. If I don't hear back from them by mid-week, I may just need to take their offer. I sort of wanted to try the H20 to see if it might also be a good upgrade for my mother who needs a very large font size and still uses a 6" ebook reader (as long as it isn't too heavy).
I have an H2O. It's not too heavy and it has an excellent screen. The battery life is very good. I would highly recommend it especially since she needs a larger font. The front light is very even.

The weight of the Kindle Paperwhite is 213g (7.5oz) and the weight of the H2O is 233g (8.22oz). That's less than one oz difference.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-04-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Something to keep in mind is that a larger ereader needs a larger case and larger means heavier. While my Voyage weighs about an ounce less than my Paperwhite the Voyage in it's case is less than half the weight of my Paperwhite in it's case. They both have Swees cases which are identical except for size.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #14
Boston
Fanatic

Great news..I just heard back from Kobo and they've agreed to replace my Kobo Glo HD with a Kobo Aura H20 (minus the cover and the credit offered for the Kobo Aura 2nd Edition).

Admittedly, I had decided that if their only offer was the Aura 2nd edition, it would be my last Kobo reader. But their handling of this - from the immediate offer to replace the device to honoring my wishes on the device - was no hassle.

I did speak with my mother and she would like a larger reader. So I am considering the Aura One once they are back in stock.

Thanks to everyone for their advice..it was very helpful on not just replacing my reader but one for my mother as well.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:49 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Great news..I just heard back from Kobo and they've agreed to replace my Kobo Glo HD with a Kobo Aura H20 (minus the cover and the credit offered for the Kobo Aura 2nd Edition).
That's great news. Glad everything is being sorted to your satisfaction. I think you'll love the H2O. The larger screen is very nice. Once you use the H2O, a 6" screen will seem small.