Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Moon+ Reader: preferred serif fonts?

I've recently installed Moon+ Reader on my SGS3, and I'm enjoying how customizable it is. My favorite app for articles and shorter fiction is Pocket, and since I adore their article view I've been trying to replicate it in Moon+ Reader. I've come pretty close, except for the font, which I've learned is FF Yoga. The serif font in Moon+ Reader is nice but not quite the same, and I guess since FF Yoga is commercial, I can't find a copy for personal use.

So I was hoping for some recommendations of serif fonts; which ones do you all like to use, or can you point me to any free ones that come close to FF Yoga? Thanks so much!
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I understand there are sometimes font clones that canbe used for non-commercial purposes - i.e. font that were created to look similar to a certain font, like say, various fonts used in movie titles, logos and such. However, IANAL so ig would be best to check usage rights. Perhaps there's an FF Yoga clone you could use.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I understand there are sometimes font clones that canbe used for non-commercial purposes - i.e. font that were created to look similar to a certain font, like say, various fonts used in movie titles, logos and such. However, IANAL so ig would be best to check usage rights. Perhaps there's an FF Yoga clone you could use.
Would that I could find one. I've done a bunch of googling and come up short, so I was hoping someone here could point me to something.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
mattington
mattington began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6"
Did you ever find it? I stumbled here on a similar mission (actually it was here I finally found out that they use FF Yoga). The closest free match I can find is Palatino.
mattington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
kristalana
Groupie

Ha I forgot about this thread. No, I never did find it after a great deal of searching, which was super-frustrating. Well that's not accurate, it's available for a bunch of money to use commercially, but I only ever wanted it for personal use. Palatino is lovely, it's my default font on my Kindle but on my phone Droid Serif ended up coming closer to FF Yoga, so that's what I settled on.

If you keep looking and end up finding it, let me know!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalana View Post
Ha I forgot about this thread. No, I never did find it after a great deal of searching, which was super-frustrating. Well that's not accurate, it's available for a bunch of money to use commercially, but I only ever wanted it for personal use. Palatino is lovely, it's my default font on my Kindle but on my phone Droid Serif ended up coming closer to FF Yoga, so that's what I settled on.

If you keep looking and end up finding it, let me know!
Hi Kristalana;

By chance I read your last post. You can find fonts similar to the one you are looking for by means of this site:

http://www.whatfontis.com/

After uploading in that site an image of the FF Yoga Pro font, I found the following free fonts that "match" what you were trying to find:

Poly-Regular
NanumMyeongjo
Radley-Regular
Timoroman
Tienne

The site shows a list of 100 free fonts but the fonts I mentioned above, they are the more similar regarding FF Yoga Pro.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
kristalana
Groupie

Oh very cool, thanks so much! Those first two look particularly close.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalana View Post
Oh very cool, thanks so much! Those first two look particularly close.
You are welcome!
Old 05-29-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
mattington

Awesome! I'm super glad I brought this dead thread back to life, I've been looking for the answers found here for ages.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #10
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattington View Post
Awesome! I'm super glad I brought this dead thread back to life, I've been looking for the answers found here for ages.
Glad me too that you could find what you are looking for
Old 05-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Wow, fab thread. Thank you all, this has got me wanting to replace my font in Moon+ too
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:23 AM   #12
mattington

Pocket Font

I went over to the Pocket website today, they are using Chaparral Pro on the web reader (see attached file). Definitely inferior to FF Yoga on the Android version. I'm kind of surprised they would change their look so much between web and mobile, but I guess the ease with which one can extract fonts embedded in websites is a concern.

Though for that matter, apk files (android apps) are really just zip files with an alternative extension. If one really wanted to get their hands on a font seen in an apk, one might download it, unzip it, and look in the 'assets' folder. Of course, this would violate the licensing agreement of the font and therefore be illegal in most places, so of course I'm not recommending such an action.

For what it's worth, I find that Arno Pro does a pretty good job on my Aura 6", very comfortable newspaper-esque font. A quick duckduckgo search turns up some free downloads, for instance here.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 2.15.35 PM.png
Views:	551
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	123653  

Last edited by mattington; 06-04-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Added thoughts about .apk
Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I like the Calluna font on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Unfortunately, Moon+ Reader on my Kindle Fire HDX doesn't have this font, so I use Baskerville there, as it seems to be the closest I can get to Calluna on there.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote