Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Decent fonts for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Cool Reader? [Solved]

As the subject line says, I am looking for a nice font to use in Cool Reader on my GT2 seven inch tablet. Roboto its nice, but it doesn't do italic fonts...

Last edited by Dngrsone; 02-05-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I prefer reading with a serif font myself, but if you prefer a sans-serif font, then Trebuchet MS is quite nice and has all 4 files (regular, italic, bold, bolditalic). If you're a Windows user they should be available in your Windows\Fonts directory. You just need to copy all 4 to sdcard/fonts on your Galaxy Tab for CoolReader to 'see' them plus configure CR to use them via Options - Font face.

You may need to edit the filenames to the usual accepted standard e.g.
TrebuchetMS.ttf
TrebuchetMS-Italic.ttf
TrebuchetMS-Bold.ttf
TrebuchetMS-BoldItalic.ttf

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-02-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: more info
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is the default font indecent?
Is it worth fussing over a font change that you'll very quickly stop noticing?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
The default font shows no italics, which can make certain books fairly unreadable.

For example, I have a couple programming books which rely on italics and bold fonts to illustrate different concepts, and without those I cannot learn the languages properly.

So, if you to call that indecent, then yes.

Otherwise, it is a problem that I can't really ignore, and if I have a means of improving my reading experrience, then I will do so.

My question is designed to hasten the process of finding a more ideal font for my device, because I am not so self-absorbed to think I am the only guy who has run into this problem, but if I am then I will freely share my results with the internet for the next guy who does.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Beware of using Microsoft Windows fonts as they are for the most part copyrighted.

The Liberation series of fonts has both Serif and Sans Serif. They are public domain and you can google for them.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Beware of using Microsoft Windows fonts as they are for the most part copyrighted.

The Liberation series of fonts has both Serif and Sans Serif. They are public domain and you can google for them.
Just curious - even if they are copyrighted is it ok to use them on my tablet if I copy them from my Windows pc?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:53 AM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post

I think all the android fonts are either underwhelming or ugly.

Kind of like Linux in this regard.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Just curious - even if they are copyrighted is it ok to use them on my tablet if I copy them from my Windows pc?
My understanding is that you may not copy them from a Windows PC, but I've never heard of anyone being called to task for it.

BTW, the Liberation series consists of four font sets; sans-serif, serif, narrow and mono. They are meant to replace Ariel, New Times Roman, Ariel Narrow and Courier New. I think you can download them from Fedora .org.

Download the older set if you want to have the Liberation Narrow. Something to do with licensing.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #9
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
Try Roboto Slab or Arvo.
Personally, I prefer Roboto Slab.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Thanks, everyone! The Robot Slab font seems to work well so far.

Got it installed, chose Roboto font face, using size 16 at the moment, Embolden Font and Font Kerning enabled.

Last edited by Dngrsone; 02-05-2014 at 07:06 PM.