Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #61
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argon View Post
Oh, wow, thank you so much! So what is the functional value for my book downloaded from the Kindle Store directly as KFX whose AZW3 style sheet reads 5%? On my Kindle, it's way less than 1.6.
It should be 1.6em. If you have a counter example I would very much like to see it.

(If you can supply the title/ASIN of a book, I can take a look at the free sample and see what is going on with it.)

Last edited by jhowell; 01-24-2020 at 10:22 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Forget the nook to read ePub. You can read ePub on your Kobo with the better typesetting.
Can you prove to me that Kobo does a better job on the layout and typesetting of an ePub than Nook does? Please compare a modern Nook (anything from the 2015 Glowlight Plus forwards) with a modern Kobo. Screenshots to back up your points would be appreciated.

Quote:
I mostly read ePub because it looks better.
On Kobo I read kepub because I appreciate the extra features enough to put up with the subpar layout.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #63
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
To me the Nook Simple Touch and my three Kobos in epub mode only vary in screen size and quality, not rendering. The kepubs get the indents and margins (at least) wrong on some ebooks, but not others. So now I don't use kepub.

I like 1.4 em
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:18 AM   #64
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Can you prove to me that Kobo does a better job on the layout and typesetting of an ePub than Nook does?
Not layout, but I do love how easy it is to add fonts to the Kobo. I don't think NOOK can do that.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Can you prove to me that Kobo does a better job on the layout and typesetting of an ePub than Nook does? Please compare a modern Nook (anything from the 2015 Glowlight Plus forwards) with a modern Kobo. Screenshots to back up your points would be appreciated.
I didn't say ePub on a Kobo does a better just at typesetting then a newish nook. I was saying that you don't need to use two different devices. You can use the Kobo to read both KePub and ePub. I cannot see how the nook would be better with ePub. But I can see how it might be similar or the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Not layout, but I do love how easy it is to add fonts to the Kobo. I don't think NOOK can do that.
Nook Simple Touch and Sony PRS-350 and various ancient Binatone models all work with fonts embedded in the book.
Some ereaders need the sideloaded (USB transferred) ebook to be in the Adobe directory, even if there is no DRM, for the pulisher's fonts to be rendered.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #67
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't say ePub on a Kobo does a better just at typesetting then a newish nook. I was saying that you don't need to use two different devices.
The Glowlight Plus is waterproof, the Clara HD is not. Sometimes I like to relax at night by reading in the tub.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Yeah, I really do wish the Nook allowed sideloading of fonts. Though Georgia works well enough for me.

They don't handle sleep covers either, now that I think of it.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-25-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Glowlight Plus is waterproof, the Clara HD is not. Sometimes I like to relax at night by reading in the tub.
Reading in the tub can cause the waterproofing to dissolve because of the steam and the heat.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Reading in the tub can cause the waterproofing to dissolve because of the steam and the heat.
Steam?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Steam?
Yes steam from the hot water.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #72
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I was under the impression you had to boil water to get steam. I may be wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
As far as I know from what I've read on HZO's website and elsewhere, their nanocoating is not affected by humidity or levels of heat found in the home--unless we are talking about superheated steam.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
What can I say? I like to live on the edge.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:09 AM   #75
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
If you can see it, it's actually condensation. Like in clouds, mist and fog. Actual steam is invisible and 100 °C or higher (about 212 °F in American money).

You'd die in a bath hot enough to have real steam. However I'm being pedantic as condensing water vapour (which can be hot enough to cause burns or cold enough to chill) is often called steam.

Though I'd not rely on HZO treatment. I'd regard it as helping to preserve from accidents. I've opened a Libra H2O, it's nicely made but I don't think much of the design approach to waterproofing or understand why power switch isn't on the main PC to save on wiring and a sub PCB. It would also need carefully dried and not dunked in salt or dirty water as there could be electrochemical action of the gold on the USB attacking other bare metals. The buttons may be prone to grit between the visible parts and the actual switches. I'd be sceptical as to the long term waterproofness of the switches.

I'd put in a ZipLock back at the beach, batch, shower or sauna.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-26-2020 at 04:16 AM.

Tags
css, indent, indentation, paragraph, text-indent