Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Is this normal?

Okay, I'll try not to get myself in trouble here, but suffice it to say that I set out to read a book made for the Kindle on my Sony Reader.

I downloaded Kindle for PC and chose some book for $0.99 on which to perform my experiments. These were unsuccessful. Just to see what would happen, I added the book as-is to Calibre and converted it to epub format and loaded it onto my Reader. Wonder of wonders, it's completely readable.

I thought books from Amazon were all DRMed. I'm now assuming they all aren't, but surely some/most must be. Is there a way to tell? I was really surprised that the Amazon book worked on my Reader with no problems.

Sorry if this is an idiotic post, or I'm missing something here that is common knowledge.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, many low-cost books from Amazon are DRM-free. Unfortunately, though, there's no way of knowing, at the time of purchase, whether or not a particular book has DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
If only we could do that with ALL Kindle books, the world would be a much happier place!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
If you were able to convert it with Calibre then it was not DRM'd. Most are. However, that can be circumvented. Google "unswindle.py"
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Thanks everyone. Too bad there's no way to tell if the book's protected or not.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I cannot wait until they get rid of this whole DRM thing.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote