Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
davotibarna
davotibarna began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Fetch news into a specific format?

My preferred output format is EPUB. I read English news like BBC... on a Sony PRS-505 reader and since this is big a file (~7MB) if I used LRF, my reader crashed and reseted.

However I read Hungarian news also. I customized the device using the PRSCustomizer which uploaded a unicode system font, but it did not change the EPUB font. Meaning I have to use the LRF format for the Hungarian news if I want to get proper characters.

So, I need Calibre to fetch the English (& Norwegian) news as EPUB, but for the Hungarian news I need LRF. I know it's possible to convert manually after the news was fetched, but it's a bit laborious to do it each morning.

I checked the *API Documentation for recipes* but haven't found anything which could help me. I'd appreciate any good hint.
davotibarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can using the GUI you have to use the command line for that.

ebook-convert Newsweek.recipe .epub

ebook-convert Newsweek.recipe .lrf
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
davotibarna

True, I can use the command line interface, write a small shell script and schedule it via the crontab.

So:
ebook-convert Newsweek.recipe .lrf
calibredb add Newsweek.lrf

... looks good, but it does not have any tag and despite of the book appears in calibre, it does not upload to the the device when it's connected. It uploaded 5 ebooks, except the one I made and added via CLI. Maybe because it has no tags at all?

I cannot specify the tag in the recipe, but I can do that via the CLI again:
calibredb set_metadata [options] id /path/to/metadata.opf

But how can I know the ID from my shell script?
Old 12-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use calibredb list to get the id
Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
davotibarna

I was aware of the calibredb list command, but then I have to parse its output. The whole workaround becomes lot more complex. Doable of course, but it'd be much easier if the add command could set metadata also.

Question 1:
-----------
How to use the set_metadata command is not clear to me.

I don't have .opf file a metadata.db file.
There should be a metadata value argument also, right? I don't know where to define the metadata value. Post me an example please.

Question 2:
-----------
There is a setting in the preferences:
"Automatically send downloaded news to ebook reader"

... which works fine for the ebooks downloaded by the GUI, but not when I add an ebook via the CLI, even I set the metadata (via the GUI) to "News". Do you have a flag somewhere which indicates this is a news?
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
davotibarna

Could you please answer me?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by davotibarna View Post
How to use the set_metadata command is not clear to me.

I don't have .opf file a metadata.db file.
I had to use scripting.
LIST will give you the ID.
SHOW_METADATA will give you the opf file for that ID.
modify the opf file with your script/SED/etc.
SET_METADATA will then set the metadata for that ID to your modifications.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can get the opf file using the show_metadata command

You can't have calibre auto synce news added via the command line
Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
davotibarna

This way is easier:

Code:
ebook-convert sghu.recipe .lrf
ebook-meta sghu.lrf --tags "SG.hu,News"
calibredb add sghu.lrf
... so now only the "auto synce news added via the command line" feature is missing. That might come with a newer version.

Thanks for your help!