Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
In that case you might want to try kepubs.

For reading epubs, the Kobo and Sony devices use Adobe RMSDK. This does the page number according to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ADE#Page_numbers. That means that a screen of text is not a page. The good thing about this is that the number of pages does not change with font size or the other reader settings. It is also consistent across all Adobe RMSDK based readers. But, a lot of people don't like it.

Kepubs are Kobo's version of an epub. They are basically the same as an epub, but with some Kobo based tweaks. An important thing is that they use a different reader application. This does page numbering per screen. When the font or other settings are changed, the page numbers are recalculated. But, the page numbers are per chapter. Some people love this and some loath it. There is an unsupported config file setting that will change the page numbering to per book.

If you want to try kepubs, you need the KoboTouchExtended driver plugin. You can install this from within calibre. There is also a kepub output plugin to convert the books in the library of you prefer that. Threads discussing both are in the calibre plugins subforum.
Thanks, I like the idea of that. I dont like not having proper pagination, find it annoying.
I like to know how long a book is (minus the extra bumf pages from Gutenberg)
I get true pagination with mobi format, but you get no touch interactive content with such files.
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I like the ADE page numbers because they don't change dependant on the font size. It is always based on the number of characters (1024 per page) and is usually close to the paperback number of pages.

Page 214 or 214-215 is always at the same place in the book. Some systems count page turns so if you double the font size, the page number is doubled as well. Percentage read is okay, but I find it easier to mentally calculate percentage read from page numbers than the opposite. I can see where pages per chapter would be useful for studying, but not useful to me for fiction as I have no trouble picking up where I left off.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #18
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Thanks, I like the idea of that. I dont like not having proper pagination, find it annoying.
I like to know how long a book is (minus the extra bumf pages from Gutenberg)
I get true pagination with mobi format, but you get no touch interactive content with such files.
If you enable the display of adobe page numbers (these appear along the right margin of the text sometimes even clipping the words depending on the books and your own margin settings) you can get the feel of how and why it appears that whole page numbers skip as you read a book. This setting is under "reading settings (second page), check: show page numbers in the margins" Because Adobe gave pages a fixed number of characters, depending on font, font scale, margins, etc. the displayed page and a page number have no connection. As you read this displayed margin page number will appear to rise or sink slightly with each page turn. I too found it rather strange at first when reading normal Epubs, Adobe, despite their tools for documenting things, does an absolute poor job in telling users why Epub page numbers have an odd way of displaying.
Till I found out I assumed the Epub was damaged or corrupt.

Kepubing books is definitely an alternative, though after a while I think you will get use to the non-intuitive implementation of counting that Adobe has blessed us all with.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #19
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
If you enable the display of adobe page numbers (these appear along the right margin of the text sometimes even clipping the words depending on the books and your own margin settings) you can get the feel of how and why it appears that whole page numbers skip as you read a book. This setting is under "reading settings (second page), check: show page numbers in the margins" Because Adobe gave pages a fixed number of characters, depending on font, font scale, margins, etc. the displayed page and a page number have no connection. As you read this displayed margin page number will appear to rise or sink slightly with each page turn. I too found it rather strange at first when reading normal Epubs, Adobe, despite their tools for documenting things, does an absolute poor job in telling users why Epub page numbers have an odd way of displaying.
Till I found out I assumed the Epub was damaged or corrupt.
Oh I know about that, it was already ticked in the Settings menu. Im used to seeing the rising and falling number because I get that with my other reader, the Sony, by default.

Still prefer proper pagination but I guess I could live with it.
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote