Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 09-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Periodicals on PRS-T2: Economist

Hi all, a large part of my readings is periodicals, most notably the Ecnomist. I've recently switched from a Paperwhite and find the Sony lacking, but hastily concede this might well be my fault.

The first issue I tried looked like a book w/o any special periodical effect. I quickly learned I had to switch the output profile to Sony. Done. The next issue now presents me with
* a content button (Inhaltsverzeichnis in German), which is alway present taking up 2 cm of screen estate,
* section navigation (not in German ), on the top plus on the bottom,
* a title band on top, always present, giving the title and issue date.
As you can see--hopefully--in the attached photo, there's hardly any screen estate left to read on. Yikes! Something must be very wrong here.

Also, I notice that the Sony doesn't do upward and downward swipes to jump articles--I presume that's just a general Sony speciality?

Please, do help me optimize my periodicals' experience. I am otherwise quite taken with the Sony (miss the light though, but I obviously knew about that).

Hendrik
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Periodicals are best read on Kindles. The SONY's periodical support is severely lacking. You might actually be hapier with treating your periodicals as normal books, i.e. change the output profile to something other than SONY.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
...might actually be hapier with treating your periodicals as normal books ...
Yeah, that's what I thought last night, too. Well, although these news are not what I hoped to hear, i.e. a solution, I am at least grateful to have a definite answer that there is none--period. Yes, it seems I'll have to get the G2 Paperwhite after all ... Thanks, Kovid.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
sheygetz
Connoisseur

One additional consideration:
If I were to root the Sony, would that improve my reading of periodicals? Is there an output profile for, say, Coolreader?

Hendrik
Old 09-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No idea, I've never tries cool reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
sheygetz
Connoisseur

Mmm ... but I could use the Kindle Android App, right. Any idea if that would be fine?