Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Glo won't turn on/off or restart

Hi,

Just got my (3 month old) Glo out and noticed that there were some weird lines on the screen whilst in sleep mode. There's 3 vertical lines on the centre-right of the screen, going about 1/3 of the way down. Tried to turn the reader on, nothing happened. Held power down, light flashed green and blue at me, nothing happened on screen. Stuck a pin in the reset hole, and tried all manner of combinations of button presses. Nothing. I can't find any definite info on how to do a factory reset, so it's all been trial and error, to no result. Does anyone have any ideas? Or should I just try and take it back?

Thanks (and hope you all had a good Christmas!)
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
It sounds like you've broken the glass screen substrate. You could post a photo to be 100% sure.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Plug it in and make sure it's fully charged -after 3 months it could be discharged. Hold the power button for 20 seconds to make sure it powers down, and then try to power up again. If no visible luck, then you may have broken the screen's rear glass substrate as Meeera suggested.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Glo hardware factory reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany7 View Post
Hi,

Just got my (3 month old) Glo out and noticed that there were some weird lines on the screen whilst in sleep mode. There's 3 vertical lines on the centre-right of the screen, going about 1/3 of the way down. Tried to turn the reader on, nothing happened. Held power down, light flashed green and blue at me, nothing happened on screen. Stuck a pin in the reset hole, and tried all manner of combinations of button presses. Nothing. I can't find any definite info on how to do a factory reset, so it's all been trial and error, to no result. Does anyone have any ideas? Or should I just try and take it back?

Thanks (and hope you all had a good Christmas!)
There is a hardware factory reset for the Glo -- pretty much the same as the Touch but uses the light button instead of the home button.

1. Slide and hold the on/off button for 15-20 seconds to ensure the Glo is turned off and then release it.

2. Press and hold the light button.

3. While holding the light button down, slide the on/off slide button as if you were taking it out of sleep or powering it on. In a second or two, you should see the LED between the two switches start flashing like a disco strobe.

At that point, you can release the buttons and wait for the factory reset to finish.

One question is are those lines only visible in sleep/power off or are they visible while you are reading? If they are visible in any mode, you may have a damaged display which will require exchange or repair.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I would tend to agree with broken substrate, but it's worth just trying to charge it and make sure it's not just out of battery (just because nothing is changing on the screen - normally broken substrate affects only part). If it is a broken substrate your Glo is done (not covered by warranty unless you've purchased an extended/additional warranty).

Factory reset (if you want to try that): hold the power button on for 10 or 20 seconds then release it. Press and hold the light button down, then while holding it do a normal power on with the power button. There are a couple of different factory reset combos but that's the basic one that I would start with. Make sure your battery is charged up first.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Have tried everything mentioned above, to no avail. Here is a picture of what the screen looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1629
Size:	588.0 KB
ID:	98279

I've just realised I have no idea what I'm doing when adding photos. Sorry if that's wrong. And I know it's sideways!

Nothing I do can get it to move from this state. The little light flashed blue at me for a while when trying the factory resets, but nothing happened on the screen.

I can't imagine how I've broken it. It was fine when I put it down on the 23rd, then this...!

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That looks more like a controller (hardware) problem than a broken substrate, so you might want contact Kobo for warranty repair on it.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
bethany7
Enthusiast

Ok so I got a reply from Kobo, asking me to perform a factory reset using a different method than those above (hold light button, press reset button, release light button when LED turns white). I did this, and thought nothing had happened. Went to try again, just in case, and as I pressed the light button, it came on! And stuff got weird...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2297
Size:	729.7 KB
ID:	98294

Again, apologies if the picture doesn't work correctly!

The light bar appeared, but is not responsive. I can turn the light on and off, although it does not always work.

I'm surmising from this that the issue is indeed the screen?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
robko
Wizard

Tough to tell for sure. The straight lines would suggest a hardware controller problem, but if you look above and to the left of device picture on the screen there looks like there is a curved line and also at bottom left of it there is a diagonal looking line. That suggests broken substrate which likely won't be covered under warranty. Tough to tell since most of it is under the flash. I'd take a shot at getting Kobo to warranty cover it.
If it is a substrate break you can do a search and there are lots of posts explaining it and at least one with a tear down of a device so you can see what it looks like. In a lot of cases it is caused by twisting of the frame of the device, but yours is broken it looks more like a point impact/pressure likely under where the flash is on the 2nd picture (guessing at that from the position of the two possible breaks).
Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
Fehmarn
Enthusiast
Fehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litter

Device: Aura H2O (Glo stolen, PRS-T1 given away, K-touch kaputt) & iPads
Hi Benthany,

The same thing happened to my Kobo touch a while ago - check this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173424

My advice would be to return the device to the seller and get a replacement.
Fehmarn is offline   Reply With Quote