Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #1276
cesarx4s
cesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Touch
This morning when I launched kobo desktop it updated to version 3.0.4.
The notes on the update were that it now supports the new kobos. Apart
from that the only changes I notice are more languages.
My kobo touch didn't upgrade to a newer firmware.
cesarx4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #1277
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Still working on rolling out the firmware to Kobo Touch users. While most of the software is shared, we do have some hardware / engineering variances that require us to test across multiple models before releasing updates for the Kobo Touch device.

Unfortunately I've said that a few times now and people are probably tired of hearing it

So, the next time I talk about 2.1.4 for Kobo Touch, I'll be telling you it's released

Last edited by SameerH; 10-01-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: English
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #1278
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks for the update Sameer. As always, it is greatly appreciated.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #1279
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Is there a way to scroll through a picture in landscape mode? I like reading manga on my KT (uncompressed zip archives named as .cbr files work like a charm) and sometimes i'd like to be able to read in landscape mode because some elements are too damn small, but there's no way to scroll...
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #1280
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz Mouse View Post
Thanks ! it works.... but what a mess !

if I am on page 120, I must :
- touch to go to p. 121 ( cut vertically )
- fit horizontally
- fit vertically
- read page 121
- touch to go to p. 122 ( cut vertically again )
- Fit...
and so on, and so on...

not very fast to read a 194 pages pdf book
When I got my Kobo, I almost felt cheated because of how poorly it handles pdf. My previous reader (astak/hanlin) was so much more capable. You could actually read pdf books on it - but not so with the Kobo.

Luckily, reading epubs, is very good, at least when using the firmware versions that don't have slow page turning, and missed/double touch bugs.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #1281
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
Maybe it was to shut us up for a while in case our negative remarks about Kobo affected the sales of their new ereaders ?

...or am I being tooo nasty to a bunch of well meaning guys !
They aren't perfect when it comes to advertising. They are still saying that the Kobo devices can read newspapers and magazines, but still, the Kobo desktop reports that nothing is available in this area. So, while it is true they can read newspapers, it a little misleading to advertise that as a feature in places where that feature is just NOT available. This was another disappointment I got when I bought my Kobo Touch.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #1282
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Still working on rolling out the firmware to Kobo Touch users. While most of the software is shared, we do have some hardware / engineering variances that require us to test across multiple models before releasing updates for the Kobo Touch device.

Unfortunately I've said that a few times now and people are probably tired of hearing it

So, the next time I talk about 2.1.4 for Kobo Touch, I'll be telling you it's released
Yes, I guess we are very tired about hearing it especially as on 2nd September you stated "As usual, I can't share exact timeframes for when the software will be available, but please know that it's not far off." Not far off I would interpret as soon e.g. a couple of weeks. We are now already over a month later. I presume we can expect confirmation of a release at least somtime in October, or is this too much to ask?

I agree you will have "some hardware / engineering variances that require us to test across multiple models before releasing updates for the Kobo Touch device". But we are not talking Windows 8 here which has a huge number of possible variations in hardware combinations to deal with. I would expect such testing also to have been done in tandem, you can't surely be implying that you have released 2.1.4 for the Glo and Mini and are only now getting around to checking it out on the other platforms?
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #1283
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I know that the 2.1.4 firmware itself has been extensively tested on the Touch. I also know that the distribution mechanism (how it updates) is a different story. This doesn't happen as part of the beta process I was involved in.

I wonder if this is the hold-up for Touch updates or if they are still working on something I am just clueless about (wouldn't be the first time).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #1284
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi everyone,

v2.1.4 has begun rolling out to Kobo Touch devices now. It is a staggered/throttled rollout so everyone will not get the upgrade at the same time. The full rollout should be completed over the next week or so.

Thanks all for your patience.

Sameer.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #1285
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I'll be on the lookout for it. Thanks, Sameer!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #1286
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks Sameer. As always your help and information is greatly appreciated.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #1287
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Hi everyone,

v2.1.4 has begun rolling out to Kobo Touch devices now. It is a staggered/throttled rollout so everyone will not get the upgrade at the same time. The full rollout should be completed over the next week or so.

Sameer.
Here's hoping it's better than 2.0.0... The slow page turns and random power cyclings are a pain in the ass. :/
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #1288
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Turned my wireless on, and it turns out that despite having one of the 'recalcitrant' Touches, the rollout has reached me already. Currently on "Downloading Software: 20%". I'll report back.

ETA: Note that despite the feedback given, the update is still not optional. The only choice you have is whether to restart now or later - the software will be updated at the next restart regardless.

ETA2: "Updating" hourglass screen took three minutes. Just started square-dancing.

ETA3: Stopped square dancing after 3-4 minutes. Success.

Last edited by meeera; 10-03-2012 at 10:04 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 AM   #1289
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
Is it possible for someone to put a link to the 2.1.4 here.
Waiting a week or so is quite hard
TY
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #1290
Patrick Faret
Enthusiast
Patrick Faret began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Elipsa 2e
version 2.1.4

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Sameer.
Quand est ce que que la 2.1.4 arrivera en France.
Merci de votre réponse
Patrick Faret is offline   Reply With Quote