Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
First Cybook reflections ..

Well .. my Cybook arrived this afternoon (UK) and I must say I'm very impressed indeed .. for me, this is definitely the right machine ..

It is nice and simple to use (yup, good for me! lol) and so light! ..

The cover is excellent! .. my hubby has an iRex and this cover is a gazillion times better! .. it adds to the niceness of the machine rather than detracts and it's so good to have a cover that you dont have to remove to get at buttons etc

It's fast .. much much faster than the iRex (which feels slow as molasses) .. it takes next to no time to power on and the page turning is awesome!

Would prefer page turning on the left (or both but not as ugly as the Kindle!) and with the cover on it's almost an effort to press the right bit altho I suspect as the Cybook settles into its cover more it will become easier ..

The library view is also good altho I'd very much like a 'sort by author' option .. would expect this to come at some point with a software update ..

I am feeling the screen a little on the small side but I've been using an iRex so have been spoiled somewhat .. I will get used to it I know ..

so far then very impressed and very happy ..

the iRex tho is the right e-reader for hubby who does more than just read on his and also views a fair number of work-related pdfs .. so we both get the best

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
kkingdon
Enthusiast
kkingdon doesn't litterkkingdon doesn't litterkkingdon doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle Paperwhite
My Cybook also arrived this morning (California). I took it to work with me and it immediately attracted the attention of everyone who walked by my cubicle. (I had it out and turned on.) They were most impressed by the screen contrast and readability. They assumed it was backlit. I showed the page flipping and they thought it was a little on the slow side, but not too bad.

It took me just a couple of minutes to correlate the blinking led to my button presses. Once I noticed that the light turned on when a press registered and turned off when the press action completed, I was able to reduce the number of weak, non-working page-flip presses.

I received the black leather cover. It has cut-outs for all of the buttons and the LED. The rubber cover over the USB and headphone connectors is difficult to remove when the unit is in the case. like the feel of the case. The exterior is smooth leather over padding. The interior is rougher-grained, but by no means "raw". There is a pen-holder in the spine and 3 pockets on the inside cover. Two pockets appear to be sized for SD cards. The third pocket is twice as wide and half-again as deep. I probably won't use them for anything.

I installed the Liberation fonts. I'll have to experiment until I decide what font family/font-size I prefer.

I tried mobipocket files from mobileread, from feedbooks, and from Fictionwise. None seemed to have proper TOC or other meta-data links that show up in the context menu like the included sample mobipocket files have. In many, the author info seemed to be missing in the library view also. (When I look at these same mobipocket files in the desktop reader, the metadata is missing there as well, so I assume this is a deficiency in the creation of the file rather than in the Cybook's reader software.)

Compared to my previous e-reader, my Palm TX, the display is sooo much better. It's bigger and definitely easier on the eyes.

I tried the page flipping with and without the "negative" flash enabled. Without the flash, I could definitely see ghosting left over from the library view. (A useful improvement would be a "mixed" mode that flashed only when turning to/from a page containing pictures/graphics.) I'll probably stick with the flash mode even though it seems a tad slower.

I also tried some scripture files that came with embedded javascript navigation aids that placed dropdown book/chapter/verse navigation widgets at the top of the page in the desktop and Palm mobipocket readers. These didn't show up at all in the Cybook reader. There were also links in the scripture files at the beginning of each file, book, and chapter for the next level down in the hierarchy. These did show up in the Cybook, but without a proper TOC marker, I had to set a bookmark at the initial table of contents so I could easily skip past the front matter and jump right to the top of the navigation link hierarchy. This is workable, but not as easy as navigation in my Palm's mobipocket reader.

Overall, my first impression is good. I look forward to spending some real quality time reading, especially as the TV script writers are on strike here.
kkingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
It's good to see the next batch of Cybooks coming in and other first impressions. As a compromise on the button placement I'm hoping that they come out with an update that allows for landscape mode in the Mobipocket reader. If you turn it on it's side the button is in the lower left. I've become used to the button placement now though and don't think about it.

Just curious if they shipped with the same BIOS. Is it still?:

Boo Reader Version 1.0 (build 476)
Mobipocket Reader Version: 6.0 (build 60)
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
kkingdon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Just curious if they shipped with the same BIOS. Is it still?:

Boo Reader Version 1.0 (build 476)
Mobipocket Reader Version: 6.0 (build 60)
Yep, it's exactly the same in my Cybook.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingdon View Post
I tried mobipocket files from mobileread, from feedbooks, and from Fictionwise. None seemed to have proper TOC or other meta-data links that show up in the context menu like the included sample mobipocket files have. In many, the author info seemed to be missing in the library view also. (When I look at these same mobipocket files in the desktop reader, the metadata is missing there as well, so I assume this is a deficiency in the creation of the file rather than in the Cybook's reader software.)
I have yet to try our Feedbooks files on the Cybook, but they DO have a proper TOC link that shows up on both the Mobipocket Reader for Windows, and on my smartphone.

Right now it's an inline HTML TOC and a link to both the cover and this TOC in the guide, but I need to study OEB a bit longer and see if I can support a full TOC in the guide like in epub files.

Do you actually have one of those sample files that you could upload ?

The author is present in all of the files on Feedbooks, same thing for the type of the book. We'll add a cover system in the upcoming weeks, to make the display on the Cybook more pleasant.

Last edited by Hadrien; 12-12-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
kkingdon,

Did you order the Deluxe package or did you order the cover separate? I'm just wondering why some people get a black cover while the website says "brown".
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
kkingdon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I have yet to try our Feedbooks files on the Cybook, but they DO have a proper TOC link that shows up on both the Mobipocket Reader for Windows, and on my smartphone.

Right now it's an inline HTML TOC and a link to both the cover and this TOC in the guide, but I need to study OEB a bit longer and see if I can support a full TOC in the guide like in epub files.

Do you actually have one of those sample files that you could upload ?

The author is present in all of the files on Feedbooks, same thing for the type of the book. We'll add a cover system in the upcoming weeks, to make the display on the Cybook more pleasant.
I see what my mistake was -- I was looking at a PDF from Feedbooks, not a mobipocket file. Indeed, the TOC and Cover entries appear in the "Goto" menu, and the author shows up in the library. Sorry for the bum rap!
Old 12-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
I see what my mistake was -- I was looking at a PDF from Feedbooks, not a mobipocket file. Indeed, the TOC and Cover entries appear in the "Goto" menu, and the author shows up in the library. Sorry for the bum rap!
Oh right, one of the files that they embedded on the Cybook... I'll e-mail Bookeen now that they can select between embedding our PDF or our Mobipocket files... Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad that it's working. In the metadata, the current cover type is already "cover", but it doesn't display anything in the library right ? I think that even though it's defined as cover, you need an image to get anything displayed.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
kkingdon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
In the metadata, the current cover type is already "cover", but it doesn't display anything in the library right ? I think that even though it's defined as cover, you need an image to get anything displayed.
The "Go To, Cover" sequence currently takes me to the same page as the "Go To, Start Reading" sequence: I end up at the front-matter page with the feedbooks logo, the title, author, publication date, categories, and source metadata. "Go To, First Page" takes me to a page that has the large feedbooks logo centered on the page: the page before the "Cover/Start Reading" page.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
The "Go To, Cover" sequence currently takes me to the same page as the "Go To, Start Reading" sequence: I end up at the front-matter page with the feedbooks logo, the title, author, publication date, categories, and source metadata. "Go To, First Page" takes me to a page that has the large feedbooks logo centered on the page: the page before the "Cover/Start Reading" page.
I'll have to fix that behavior. "Go to start reading" should point to the beginning of the text, and skip the cover, the author's biography and the other books available for this author. Currently, it must be the default behavior. I'd like to have the whole TOC in the menu too, not simply the inline-HTML TOC link.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
My first impressions:

Oh, it's beautiful. So light and thin and the screen feels huge after reading on pda and phone devices for so long. And really, it's about the same size as an ereader screen on my laptop, so, perfect.

The clarity of the screen is gorgeous. The flashing when it turns pages might take some getting used to.

I can see what some people say about the thinness of the plastic making it feel - less expensive. I don't mind it, though.

It feels like I have to press REALLY hard on the buttons. I think that might just take some getting used to.

Switching the library of .prc books into it (some DRM, some not) into it was easy with the 6.1 software on my computer. The DRM ones were a little of a pain, since I authorized each individually. I'm guessing once I actually go to the site and update my PID and download later, it'll be better. But all i had to do was type in my username and password for fictionwise for each, which was an easy surprise. It felt too easy, and I was convinced it wouldn't authorize them that way but - no problem!

My cat is intrigued. Who knew that even non-paper books are like catnip to a cat?

Lastly, I am, quite simply, happy.

It's charging through the usb right now and I'm torn between what to read on it first
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #12
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
PS. I received the brown leather cover. Very nicely made and smells lovely, but I haven't actually tried it out yet. I'd ordered the delux edition of the cybook.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:31 AM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I would be surprised if they would send me a black cover. They can't just decide to send you a different cover/color. But I will see.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy65 View Post
It is nice and simple to use (yup, good for me! lol) and so light! ..

The cover is excellent! .. my hubby has an iRex and this cover is a gazillion times better! ..
I believe it was a crucial moment when I discovered that there is no good cover for iRex, like I have for Sony, I decided I don't want it I don't want to hold the device in my hands, I need a good cover and iRex just seem do not have one.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #15
Paulius
Paulius began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Nokia 770
Wow. People are receiving black covers?

I'm just not sure how a company gets away by shipping not the right products to the customers.

Last edited by Paulius; 12-14-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Paulius is offline   Reply With Quote