Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
StickyPenguin
StickyPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Broken ebook screen

I posted this on yahoo answers and didn't get a response so I'm trying my luck here. What I want is a refund or replacement as I do not believe this was my fault. I apologise for the rantiness in the following:

For Christmas, I got an Elonex ereader. Within a a couple of months the screen had a bunch of lines on it and the elonex logo. I thought that this was my fault so I bought a new one. The new one had the same problem within 3 days and I know it wasn't my fault because I was very careful with it.

I have now found out that there is a problem with the eink technology being unstable and this is a common fault. So I checked them and theres no scratches/cracks on them at all.

I have an extended warranty for them both so I tried to return the first one but they said it had to be returned to the manufacturer. After a few weeks I finally got it back with a report saying that there is a crack on it and the problem is completely my fault. They also reported that there is a piece of paper stuck in it. Sure enough, I take off the bubble wrap and there is a piece of paper stuck in the top that was absolutely NOT there when I took it back to the store.

So basically, I have 2 ebook readers with the same problem that they will not give me a refund or replacement for. I've found many threads with people that have this problem but I haven't been able to find any news or technology sites saying that this is a common problem.

What can I do? I don't think its fair that I spend so much money on the readers and extended warranty and when they break through no fault of my own, they won't do anything.

I'm in Australia and bought these through Dick Smith. I also found on a site someone saying that Elonex do not honour their warranties and instead blame the owner. Sorry for the rambling, I'm just really annoyed about this.

The screen looks similar to this:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...1t:429,r:9,s:0

except with more lines and the elonex icon.

Any advice in helping me get a refund or replacement would be much appreciated.
StickyPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I would find the company's address and write to them a nice letter explaining what you have tried, include any communications with the service company.

Explain that you feel you have not caused these problems.

If you can list a link to the discussions/articles outlining others having the problems that would be good.

Good luck!
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
gorinosho
gorinosho began at the beginning.

Device: Elonex 6" Ereader
I am in the same situation, the EReader I got from Dick Smith Electronics in December 2010 has been deteriorating over the last few months...sometimes when turned on there would be corruption of the data on screen (missing lines and pixels), then it would be okay again. Then about a month ago I had it in my camera bag with my expensive digital SLR camera, screen facing wall of the bag. Pulled it out to use it and there was an internal crack in the e-ink screen. Took it back to DSE (it was 7 months old, and my wife got an extra 2 years extended warranty...total cost for this fairly mediocre item was near $300), and they say it is a "non-warrantable fault". I say it is poor tech, not fit for purpose. Promised them I'll spread the news of their lame customer service and dishonouring of warranties as far and as wide as I can! So, Dick Smith warranty holders, don't expect them to stand by the products they sell.
gorinosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorinosho View Post
I am in the same situation, the EReader I got from Dick Smith Electronics in December 2010 has been deteriorating over the last few months...sometimes when turned on there would be corruption of the data on screen (missing lines and pixels), then it would be okay again. Then about a month ago I had it in my camera bag with my expensive digital SLR camera, screen facing wall of the bag. Pulled it out to use it and there was an internal crack in the e-ink screen. Took it back to DSE (it was 7 months old, and my wife got an extra 2 years extended warranty...total cost for this fairly mediocre item was near $300), and they say it is a "non-warrantable fault". I say it is poor tech, not fit for purpose. Promised them I'll spread the news of their lame customer service and dishonouring of warranties as far and as wide as I can! So, Dick Smith warranty holders, don't expect them to stand by the products they sell.
Did you have a cover on your reader when you put it in your bag?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Eink screens don't spontaneously crack. They crack due to pressure on the screen (it takes very little pressure), the unit getting slightly twisted (say put in a bag with a lot of other stuff, and getting jostled about as you are trying to get through a crowded train car) or extreme temperature fluctuations.

Screen faults are an entirely different matter, and don't look the same as a cracked screen. And the screen will not appear cracked on the outer plastic side, it will be broken on the inside glass substrate.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
gorinosho
gorinosho began at the beginning.

Device: Elonex 6" Ereader
Thumbs up My Elonex screen fault

UPDATE

Following my previous rant, and discussions with people at the warranty repair place and the manager of the local store, Dick Smith Electronics did eventually agree to replace my Elonex e-Reader.

To achieve this outcome, I had to point out to them that many, many people with e-Ink devices of various brands have had similar problems, and that breakage during normal usage is specifically covered under warranty clauses in the Trade Practices Act. After confirming with the store (where the device had been returned to) that there was no sign of external damage to the device - only the e-ink membrane was damaged, they agreed to replace it.

Interestingly, while the repairer and warranty people I spoke to on the phone repeatedly argued that the damage to the device could only come from unusual shock or mistreatment, the store manager I spoke to when picking up the replacement said something along the lines of "these things will break if you put a bit too much pressure on it when you pick it up, if you lean on it when it is in a bag next to you on a chair, if you shake it a little bit. They are exceedingly fragile". (I can't guarantee that is exactly what he said, but that was it, more or less).

Therefore, assuming you don't drop your eReader (in which case I'd agree it's your own fault - bad luck)...if it breaks for no apparent reason during everyday use, you ARE legally covered under warranty. After all, if these things are so infinitely fragile, you would think the manufacturer would (a) provide warnings to that effect in the package you purchase, and (b) provide a suitable cover or carry bag with the device.

Nevertheless, now that I know how delicate these things are, I have ordered a padded leather case for it and won't be taking it out of the house again until the case arrives!

Thankyou to the people at DSE who did manage to see the light and come to my aid on this matter.
gorinosho is offline   Reply With Quote