Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
My own experience agrees with Latinandgreek's. Well, er, I'm not Canadian, but there have been Australian works available at Borders AU/Kobo that weren't available at the Kindle store. I've checked. I also know that Kobo has been making deals with local publishers to get ebook versions into their store, so put would make even more sense for a Canadian-bred product.

There's last year's Canadian Giller Prize as an example. Shortlisted and winning works were available on KoboBooks before anywhere else, and sometimes it was up to several months before Amazon listed a Kindle copy.

I know this is perhaps a relatively minor point in the grand scheme of things, but I just wanted to add my own thoughts on the idea of 'geo-restrictions are the same everywhere', because they're really not.
Er, as for the actual topic, considering your criteria, try a Kindle 3 or a Kobo. I wouldn't suggest a Nook just because it's US-only unless you don't mind workarounds, and Sonys are cool but don't have wifi.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Amazon has a larger store if you are willing to pretend to be an American and use the US based book store.
Why the need to pretend to be an American? Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #18
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
You may need to specify your needs and do more analysis. For instance, what kind of pdf books you usually read? How much money do you want to spend on ebooks? (me: NOT a penny)

I read pdf books without graphics or tables and I think landscape mode of 6" screen is the best. So one of my priorities was to find a device that was easy to hold that way for a long period of time, especially in bed. The physical design is very important for me. The kindle is not easy to hold in that orientation. The Sony is better but not much. The Nook doesn't support landscape at all.

Some devices may have better prices but keep in mind that as long as you decide to buy ebooks you may end up spending a lot of money -- as some old kindle users pointed out on Amazon website, they noticed that Amazon had raised prices on many ebook titles over the years. One less than 200 page academic ebook a friend wanted to buy cost more than 60 dollars on the publisher's website while the paperback sold on amazon.ca cost 40 something (free shipping). I am glad he eventually found the free ebook version online instead of spending the 60 or even 40 $ for less than 200 pages! Some may choose not to read best sellers even they were free.

At the end, I think your personal needs go first then try to get the best deal from any country. I live in Toronto. I bought my device from the U.S. - luckily no duty or tax collected -- I still can't believe it.

Last edited by jshzh; 05-26-2011 at 01:08 AM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordeater View Post
Why the need to pretend to be an American? Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

WE
Because geographic restrictions suck and the US seems to have the largest selection of available books. Publishers seem to be more willing to make books available as e-books in the US market then they are in other markets.

This is not Amazon, BN, Sony, Kobos, or any one of the major bookstores decision. It is the publishers decision and something that the bookstores cannot control.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
Wanapitei
Wanapitei began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, as I was saying. (System logged me out and lost my contribution when I logged back in. Have posted a report elsewhere.)

I'm the originator of this thread, am very impressed with the quantity and quality of the contributions. I'm retired and spend the bulk of my time at home. I have no mobile devices yet because there's not been a obvious need. My current reading is on my Mac Mini (running Snow Leopard) or physical books, mostly in bed. As a practising Buddhist I often download PDFs. It would be more convenient to read PDFs (and other stuff) in bed and elsewhere. I specified WIFI out of networking naivety, assuming that would be cheaper and easier to manage. Possibly not necessarily.

I didn't realize Kobo is a Canadian company, until it was mentioned by someone in this thread. Checking out their About Us link I'm impressed with their philosophy and approach. Very rapid distribution around the world. I suspect they're on the right track.

Am holding off a final decision or purchase until the reviews are in for the new devices (probably late June). I liked the iPad I played with last Christmas (first generation), with the exception of its physical weight for prolonged reading. I'll probably buy one eventually, but not this year.

Delighted to have discovered this forum, its contributors and its library.

With kind regards,

Morley Chalmers
Wanapitei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
This is not Amazon, BN, Sony, Kobos, or any one of the major bookstores decision. It is the publishers decision and something that the bookstores cannot control.
Actually, in most cases it's the author's decision. The publisher has no say in the matter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #22
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
So...

Quote:
Because geographic restrictions suck and the US seems to have the largest selection of available books. Publishers seem to be more willing to make books available as e-books in the US market then they are in other markets.

Does that mean that even though I purchase from Amazon.com with my Canadian mail address 'geographical restrictions' apply to me that don't apply to an American buying on the same site?
I can't say I've ever come up against not being able to buy a book on Amazon.com that I've wanted. Would the site not notify me if and when I send the book to 'My Cart' that is restricted to me, or is it more likely that I just haven't come across a book I have tried to buy that is restricted?

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Does that mean that even though I purchase from Amazon.com with my Canadian mail address 'geographical restrictions' apply to me that don't apply to an American buying on the same site?
Yes. But it works the other way, too; there are books available to you that aren't available to Americans.

Quote:
I can't say I've ever come up against not being able to buy a book on Amazon.com that I've wanted. Would the site not notify me if and when I send the book to 'My Cart' that is restricted to me, or is it more likely that I just haven't come across a book I have tried to buy that is restricted?
The site will simply not show you the book. That's probably why you haven't come across it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Amazon shows the book but says that it cannot be purchased in your area. At least, that is what others have reported.

I have never run into geographic restrictions as an American. I have heard that it happens but it is pretty rare. The Australians seem to have it the worst.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually, in most cases it's the author's decision. The publisher has no say in the matter.
Actually, it is a matter of what is in the contract between author and publisher. And very few authors can do much to change that. The relationship of forces is entirely in the publisher's favour.

Quote:

WE
I use a US address for my Kindle, so I'm not positive, but from the reports I've seen, and the way Audible (an Amazon company) works, you mostly won't see the book at all. But if you click on a link to it, you'll see a "not available in your area" notice.

It's true that the list of available books for Americans is higher than all others, but it does work both ways. What I do is keep an account on Kobo for things that I'm not seeing on my US Kindle account. (For example, The Sentimentalists by Johanna Skibsrud which won the Giller Prize this year.)

I buy on Kobo, and then convert to my Kindle. But the number of books I do this way is FAR less then I would have to do if I had a Kobo and wanted books that are only available on US Kindle.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ereader, recommendation