Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #136
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona05 View Post
So, we cant register the edge anymore, and Youtube or other videos will not play. Is there a way to get them to play? I bought this for my son who spends a lot of time at dr's or in the hospital

Thanks
Use the 1.3x versiion for Dingo and the 2.2x for Ermine from Freewarelovers.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #137
Hutchanaut
Hutchanaut began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
I just wanted to say thank you for this thread and for this forum. I wouldn't have bought my PE if I hadn't come here and found these resources first. It's been a breeze getting it updated and loading apps.
Hutchanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #138
melodyandwords
melodyandwords began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Kindle 3
Hey guys, new PE user here. I'm having trouble upgrading to 2.2. I downloaded the zip file, made sure it was named correctly, moved it onto a thumb drive (tried 5 or 6 different thumb drives), and followed your instructions here.

No matter how long I hold down "menu" and "rotate," though, I'm not getting an "Update software" screen. When I release them (after 2 minutes of holding them down), it boots up like normal and I'm still running 1.6.

Any advice?

Also, I'm wondering if I will be able to access Adobe DRM files without registering this through the now-defunct Entourage site. I know I can strip DRM, but I'd kinda hoped I wouldn't have to with this device.

Last edited by melodyandwords; 09-20-2011 at 01:55 PM.
melodyandwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #139
LowKe35
heh... I'm a member
LowKe35 began at the beginning.

Exact same problem...

I just got mine from Woot two days ago and was attempting the Froyo up/g today. The load screen comes on then flashes/starts over 1-2x then just boots up as normal.
LowKe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #140
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyandwords View Post
Hey guys, new PE user here. I'm having trouble upgrading to 2.2. I downloaded the zip file, made sure it was named correctly, moved it onto a thumb drive (tried 5 or 6 different thumb drives), and followed your instructions here.

No matter how long I hold down "menu" and "rotate," though, I'm not getting an "Update software" screen. When I release them (after 2 minutes of holding them down), it boots up like normal and I'm still running 1.6.

Any advice?

Also, I'm wondering if I will be able to access Adobe DRM files without registering this through the now-defunct Entourage site. I know I can strip DRM, but I'd kinda hoped I wouldn't have to with this device.
Are you absolutely sure you have named it update.zip? If you are using windows without changing the default 'don't show extensions' and you renamed the file update.zip then you will have update.zip.zip on the USB stick. If that is the case just rename the file to update delete the one on the USB stick and recopy the file, then try again.
1. insert USB stick.
2. hold down buttons.
3. turn on power.
4. wait - it may take longer than you think.

Re the adobe DRM problem, search the forum, there are a couple of recent threads about just that.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #141
genenPE
genenPE began at the beginning.

Hi Obsessed2,
I registered yesterday and wrote a short message that included my questions as well.
I probably did somthing wrong, because when I logged in today (with some difficulty, as it didn't recognize my username/password, so it was reset by sending me email with the temp password), it still tells me that I need to introduce myself. However, when I click on my user name it shows my message, but as a visitor. What should I do, to be recognized as a member? It's not really important, as long as I can read messages and participate, if needed.
I also want to thank you for very good instructions how to upgrade to Ermine 2.2.1. It worked perfect for me. Do you know why I cannot see videos on YouTube on my PE?
genenPE
genenPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #142
LowKe35
heh... I'm a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Are you absolutely sure you have named it update.zip? If you are using windows without changing the default 'don't show extensions' and you renamed the file update.zip then you will have update.zip.zip on the USB stick. If that is the case just rename the file to update delete the one on the USB stick and recopy the file, then try again.
1. insert USB stick.
2. hold down buttons.
3. turn on power.
4. wait - it may take longer than you think.

Re the adobe DRM problem, search the forum, there are a couple of recent threads about just that.
I can't speak for melodyandwords, but I followed the directions to a T, with the same results (I may be newb to the PE, but am quite techy). I held those dang buttons for 5mins without any luck. Is it possible the name of the thumb-drive (or even, possibly, SD card [which I've not tried]) may interfere?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #143
Mini Trail
Mini Trail began at the beginning.

I think I know what you are doing. The zip file that you download is not the one you rename. You need to unzip that file and extract one that is an update to the new version I forget the name. That is the file you rename to "update.zip".
Mini Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #144
LowKe35
heh... I'm a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
I think I know what you are doing. The zip file that you download is not the one you rename. You need to unzip that file and extract one that is an update to the new version I forget the name. That is the file you rename to "update.zip".
OP:
To install the update:

1. Download the Ermine Update file for Edge or Pocket Edge. I highly recommend you download the update via a PC. The update is 144 MB and will take a little time to download.

Pocket Edge: http://dustyfeet.com/edge/p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip

OR

http://www.edge.ympsa.com/updatefact...09pocketPE.zip

Edge: http://dustyfeet.com/edge/e-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip

OR

http://www.edge.ympsa.com/updatefact...fullsizeEE.zip

2. Rename the file: update.zip

Here is what's in the archive:
boot.zip
data.zip
root.zip
system1.zip
system2.zip
tools.zip
update.sh

Also, I've found some users have had problems using USB up/g but success with micro-SD. I only have a micro-SD belonging to my EVO 4g and am reluctant to use this, so I can't really test the method. Possible someone can verify?

Thanks, in advance. Also, I've yet to thank OP for the awesome thread
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #145
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowKe35 View Post
I renamed 'p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip' to 'update.zip' with prior attempts.
You might try simply renaming it 'update' (without the .zip or the quotes). It worked for someone else here.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #146
LowKe35
heh... I'm a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
You might try simply renaming it 'update' (without the .zip or the quotes). It worked for someone else here.
I'm no nubb..
The file name has no quotes/apostrophes. The file name is: update.zip (.zip being the file extension)
Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 AM   #147
telymanbws
telymanbws began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I have down loaded this file from a few different sources. The file that was 144 meg NEVER worked. Then I found one that was 147.7 meg and updated both of my new eDGe's (now have 4 total in the family) without a hitch.

http://dustyfeet.com/edge/PocketEdge...rk_Rehorst.zip
telymanbws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #148
LowKe35
heh... I'm a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telymanbws View Post
I have down loaded this file from a few different sources. The file that was 144 meg NEVER worked. Then I found one that was 147.7 meg and updated both of my new eDGe's (now have 4 total in the family) without a hitch.

http://dustyfeet.com/edge/PocketEdge...rk_Rehorst.zip
I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 AM   #149
LowKe35
heh... I'm a member

Hoooold on, this file is 363.18MB
Old 09-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #150
telymanbws
telymanbws began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I was adding an edit when my airport shut down. It's actually a few files zipped into one. Includes both Ermine and Dingo if you need to go back to 1.6. Also has manuals.

Last edited by telymanbws; 09-22-2011 at 03:24 AM.
telymanbws is offline   Reply With Quote