Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Nook sales make BN financials shine; almost 1/3 of Internet users will own a Kindle

Interesting stats in a combo post from Teleread. Drawing from the two sources:

Quote:
Driven by the company’s NOOK eReading device product line, Barnes & Noble bookstores achieved their largest retail sales day ever in the company’s nearly 40-year history on December 23, 2010.
I wonder what the breakdown in Classic and Color sales is. Any guesses?

Quote:
A whopping 28% of Internet users surveyed by J.P. Morgan in December say they either own a Kindle or plan to buy one in the next year.
-
40% of iPad users surveyed already own one, and 23% plan to buy one in the next year.
-
The survey showed that 45% of respondents had heard of the Nook, versus 76% for the Kindle and 84% for the iPad.
This cannot be right. The Internet is HUGE place.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
This cannot be right. The Internet is HUGE place.
Details on demographics of survey would be useful in appraising accuracy. Isn't JP Morgan an investment bank, not a poller? I wonder who finances B&N and Amazon when they need money? Or am I ridiculously paranoid?
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Yeah, I'm skeptical, both about the number of people planning on buying Kindles and the number of people who know what a Nook is.

A "survey" can just mean sending out e-mails and seeing who responds; unless it's a randomized poll, it has no real value.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Meh. Why own a Kindle when I can just read Kindle books on my Nook?
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post
Meh. Why own a Kindle when I can just read Kindle books on my Nook?
Better screen, free internet access and not limited to one country?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Better screen, free internet access and not limited to one country?
I'm with you on all except for the "better screen." I prefer LCD (and now, capacitive) over e-ink. E-ink I'd have to get used to, but I've been reading books on backlit screens since the Palm iiic days.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
A whopping 28% of Internet users surveyed by J.P. Morgan in December say they either own a Kindle or plan to buy one in the next year.
and 45% of them say they plan on eating healthier and losing weight.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
My first thought was to wonder whether the pollsters made clear that they were referring to the Amazon Kindle. If not, I can imagine people responding that they intended to buy one without really having a specific brand in mind.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
JP Morgan, and almost every investment bank AFAIK, have equity researchers that try to figure these sorts of things out. They typically sell the reports (to institutions and financial types afaik) as well as use them internally to advise clients and their own traders.

The 28% figure sounds way too high, since that could be over 60 million Kindle users by Dec 2011. I'd assume something got lost in translation.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #10
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
A "survey" can just mean sending out e-mails and seeing who responds; unless it's a randomized poll, it has no real value.
As an idependant transcriptionist with a contract with J.P.Morgan, I can assure you that any survey they reported results for has been researched ad nauseam and conducted by professionals. They have top experts in every field at their disposal.

I cannot discuss anything specific I have ever typed for them but I can say that they don't ever release information without hardcore scientific facts to back it up.

The numbers reported here may or may not been accurately reported by secondary sources - I didn't bother to check.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
They have top experts in every field at their disposal.
Yes, but when it comes to surveys, that actually makes me less confident in the results, as opposed to more.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
JP Morgan, and almost every investment bank AFAIK, have equity researchers that try to figure these sorts of things out. They typically sell the reports (to institutions and financial types afaik) as well as use them internally to advise clients and their own traders.

The 28% figure sounds way too high, since that could be over 60 million Kindle users by Dec 2011. I'd assume something got lost in translation.
I think you've done your maths wrong. According to this site, in June 2010 there were just short of 2 billion internet users. 28% of that would be 560 million Kindles!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Maybe they dropped a decimal point?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you've done your maths wrong....
I assume they're talking about US Internet users, approximately/theoretically 240 million. It's very typical for American journalists to forget there are other countries.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
I think the answer's in the first line folks:-

Quote:
A whopping 28% of Internet users surveyed by J.P. Morgan in December say they either own a Kindle or plan to buy one in the next year...
(my emphasis)

So not 28% of internet users, just 28% of the internet users that responded to JPMorgan's survey in December. And I'm always a little suspicious of surveys that don't give the number of respondents, too

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, kindle, nook