Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #18616
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
For years I've been a HUGE fan of Christopher Fowler's unique Peculiar Crimes Unit series - featuring 2 octogenarian detectives and a supporting cast out of Monty Python - that investigate crimes in modern day London that have a 'peculiar' supernatural taint to them. The plots have been ingenious, and Fowler layers in tons of arcane London history/geography/history facts - as you can find/verify in Peter Ackroyd's works.

But the latest entry, The Invisible Code, was a complete dud from start to finish - no real plot, no supernatural influences, no humor [the funniest part of the entire book was the opening memo from Raymond Land to his troops] - BORING! I don't know if Fowler is trying to 'modernize' the series by trying out a political plotline, but it fell flat. Some characters from past books had no dialogue whatsoever. And Arthur Bryant is so toned down as to be unrecognizable.

Unlike its main characters, I fear this series is beginning to show its age ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #18617
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Forever Engine by Frank Chadwick.

This is only his second published book but his first, How Dark the World Becomes got a 5/5 from me last January, so I was looking forward to this. To my surprise, it is not a sequel, but an entirely new universe. A professor of ancient history from 2018 is sent by accident to a steam-punk version of 1888. Looking very good so far!
I'm about 1/2 way through How Dark the World Becomes. I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I'll have to see about getting The Forever Engine.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #18618
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
That was an excellent book, and I was completely surprised by it. Didn't expect much but enjoyed immensely.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #18619
noulz
noulz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
I'm currently reading House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski - weird formatting, but so interesting. Can't put it down.
noulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #18620
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
That was an excellent book, and I was completely surprised by it. Didn't expect much but enjoyed immensely.
Ummm…. which book?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 AM   #18621
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So next up is Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz. The first of his Alex Rider YA novels, I bought this on 30 December 2013 for £0.99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I rather enjoyed the entire Alex Rider series - it's one of those where, I think, one shouldn't attempt to think too hard and just relax and go with the (fast-paced and entertaining) flow. Sort of like with action movies.
I can see what you mean about the Alex Rider books, at least judging by the first one. But it doesn't work for me. Some YA novels work well for adults too. This one, for me, didn't. It's not just the unlikelihood of Alex being used as an agent - one impossible thing I can easily accept from a book. It's that the entire situation he finds himself in, and all the characters in it are impossible and, what's worse, internally inconsistent. I might forgive it in a film where you can just sit back and enjoy the pictures. But not in a book. I'm glad I haven't bought any more of this series.

Next up: The Shadow of the Lion by Mecedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer. I think I've read this before, in which case I'll be moving straight on to This Rough Magic, the second in the series, or even Much Fall of Blood, the third in the series, which I'm sure I haven;t read, as there was a seven year gap between the second and the third!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #18622
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
I can see what you mean about the Alex Rider books, at least judging by the first one. But it doesn't work for me. Some YA novels work well for adults too. This one, for me, didn't. It's not just the unlikelihood of Alex being used as an agent - one impossible thing I can easily accept from a book. It's that the entire situation he finds himself in, and all the characters in it are impossible and, what's worse, internally inconsistent. I might forgive it in a film where you can just sit back and enjoy the pictures. But not in a book. I'm glad I haven't bought any more of this series.
Makes sense, yes. For me, I think that was one of those series that I stumbled on at just the right moment - I was going through some really exhausting times at work and needed something that was fast-paced, easy to read, with lots of action, and required no thought at all, and I was happy enough to keep reading (while rolling my eyes a lot).

Another time, in a different mood, I don't think I'd have been nearly as forgiving!
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #18623
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ummm…. which book?
The one mentioned in the message immediately above. How Dark the World Becomes by Frank Chadwick.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #18624
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
The one mentioned in the message immediately above. How Dark the World Becomes by Frank Chadwick.
Thanks! I was getting confused.

Quote:
The Shadow of the Lion by Mecedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer.
I now think I haven't read this one before. Which is weird, because I'm sure I've read one of them before! It's good so far. Magical Mediaeval/Early Modern Venice.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #18625
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "The Sword", the concluding book in the original 5 book "General" series by S.M. Stirling and David Drake. An excellent and very satisfactory conclusion to the story. Highly recommended for all fans of military SF. The series continues with more books set further forward in time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #18626
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Not quite the end of Raj and Central's story - only the beginning of rebuilding the Tanaki displacement net - the sequels The Chosen, The Reformer and The Tyrant are all quite good - only this time Raj is inside someone else's mind.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #18627
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
And I've finished Shards of Honor - I don't know that I loved it, but I certainly found it entertaining and enjoyable enough that I'm certain I will read some more in the series.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #18628
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
And I've finished Shards of Honor - I don't know that I loved it, but I certainly found it entertaining and enjoyable enough that I'm certain I will read some more in the series.
I liked Shards of Honor, but I started with the first of the actual Admiral Naismith books, which are excellent. Then circled back and read precursor books and appreciated them. But I'd start with the pure "Miles" ones.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #18629
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Next up: The Shadow of the Lion by Mecedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer. I think I've read this before, in which case I'll be moving straight on to This Rough Magic, the second in the series, or even Much Fall of Blood, the third in the series, which I'm sure I haven;t read, as there was a seven year gap between the second and the third!
This series I read all in pBook, back when they were released. I enjoyed the series, though I'm not sure I'm interested in re-reading it.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #18630
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
This series I read all in pBook, back when they were released. I enjoyed the series, though I'm not sure I'm interested in re-reading it.
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote