Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
shakeitsalome
shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Black)
A Few Noob Questions about K4NT

My daughter and I are both getting K4NT (in black, oooo!) for Christmas. I got hers yesterday - my mother has mine so I won't give it to myself too early - and spent a little time today charging it and loading books downloaded here onto it via Calibre. I skipped registering as I was away from WiFi.

I realize I could have saved myself some worry if I'd asked these before spending time but here goes:

When I pressed the button to put it into sleep mode, I saw a screensaver, not a special offer. Once I connect it to WiFi and get her registered the SOs will show up won't they? Also, will they disappear if she keeps it in airplane mode or do they download a batch at a time to cycle through for so long?

The books I spent time sideloading (that is the term isn't it? Total n00b here!) today will stay there until removed, right? Or will registering the Kindle wipe out whatever content I loaded? It's no big deal if it does as loading them took only a few moments and was pretty easy to do.

Do I even have to register it? The books she's mainly interested in reading at this time are all out of copyright and I found them all here and on Gutenberg. She has an amazon account already and has gotten free kids books to read on Kindle 4 PC. The main reason she asked for a Kindle is so she can carry her books with her. So unless she says she wants those books I can leave it unregistered. Right?

Thank you all in advance. I've been lurking the boards constantly since signing up and have learned so much. I am so glad this form came up high in search results when I was researching Kindles before committing to getting one for myself.

-Josie
shakeitsalome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I manage the K4NTs of my husband and son with Calibre; they have the SO versions, but since they never turn on the wifi, all they have is a pretty screen with a little note saying "to see your special offers, turn on your wifi" or words to that effect.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Not 100% sure as I don't own a special offers Kindle but yes turning the WiFi on and connecting to the Amazon servers will update the ads/special offers that the Kindle displays instead of screensavers. They won't ever disappear (immaterial of whether you keep it in Airplane Mode or not), unless you choose to pay the additional cost ($20 I think?) to remove the special offers. If you don't reconnect via WiFi it'll probably still show something but there will be a message advising you to turn the WiFi on to get the latest offers.

As for registering, no it shouldn't wipe out the content you have already loaded onto the Kindle, they'll still be there in the documents folder. You don't have to register, you can never turn the WiFi on and continue to sideload books, but you won't be able to sort them into collections, as this feature is only enabled once the Kindle is registered. Obviously your daughter won't be able to buy and download books directly to her Kindle from Amazon either. If she buys any books from Amazon as they'll be registered to her Kindle4PC, she'd need to learn how to 'disinfect' them to read them on her Kindle.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
shakeitsalome
shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I manage the K4NTs of my husband and son with Calibre; they have the SO versions, but since they never turn on the wifi, all they have is a pretty screen with a little note saying "to see your special offers, turn on your wifi" or words to that effect.
Ahh okay. Thank you! I doubt that either way she'll pay attention to the screen when turning it on to read. And if the ads to annoy her later on I'm prepared to pay to have them removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
As for registering, no it shouldn't wipe out the content you have already loaded onto the Kindle, they'll still be there in the documents folder. You don't have to register, you can never turn the WiFi on and continue to sideload books, but you won't be able to sort them into collections, as this feature is only enabled once the Kindle is registered. Obviously your daughter won't be able to buy and download books directly to her Kindle from Amazon either. If she buys any books from Amazon as they'll be registered to her Kindle4PC, she'd need to learn how to 'disinfect' them to read them on her Kindle.
Thanks! I had forgotten about collections.

I think for now I'll just leave it unregistered and continue sideloading. If she asks about collections and getting her books directly from Amazon I'll set that up for her. Of course, she's a bit of a techie and will probably figure out how to do that on her own. I'm not worried about her inadvertently buying something as the only card on her account now is a gift card.

Again, thanks! I'm already so excited to see her reaction when she unwraps it on Christmas. Just yesterday she was reading a book on my mother in-law's KT and was bemoaning the fact she doesn't have a Kindle of her own. So I know she'll be over the moon.
shakeitsalome is offline   Reply With Quote