Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle Fire HD and Personal Documents

I'm asking this in advance to all you new owners out there who own the new Kindle Fires to help me out pretty please.
  • Has the personal documents covers on the carousel been fixed?
  • Are the personal documents covers showing up in the docs tab?
  • Also can you now sync from Kindle to Kindle Fire on the new version.

If some kind soul could post a shot of the docs tab as well I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-17-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Syncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Also can you now sync from Kindle to Kindle Fire on the new version.
I can sync perfectly to and from my old Kindle Fire to my old Kindle Kbd WiFi 3rd Generation both ways on eBooks and personal documents.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I can sync perfectly to and from my old Kindle Fire to my old Kindle Kbd WiFi 3rd Generation both ways on eBooks and personal documents.
I have heard some say they can but the majority of us it doesn't work.
When talking to Kindle Support they said the Kindle Fire is suppose to only to sync to another Kindle Fire.

I can only sync from Kindle Fire to Kindle but not Kindle to Kindle Fire. There is a thread on this somewhere in here about this issue that was never fixed.

I like to know if the new Kindle Fire has fixed this issue among the other problems I mentioned.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Syncing to and from server.

Quote:
I have heard some say they can but the majority of us it doesn't work.
When talking to Kindle Support they said the Kindle Fire is suppose to only to sync to another Kindle Fire.

I can only sync from Kindle Fire to Kindle but not Kindle to Kindle Fire. There is a thread on this somewhere in here about this issue that was never fixed.

I like to know if the new Kindle Fire has fixed this issue among the other problems I mentioned.
Actually, both sync to and from the Amazon server, not directly to each other. I always press the sync button on each when starting and finishing with each device. If one does not do that, then the sync may be delayed until the server gets around to initiating the sync.

When pressing the sync button on the Kindle Keyboard, one must be sure the WiFi connection bars show first. They take a few seconds to show up. If one tries to sync it before the WiFi bars show, the Kindle Keyboard freezes.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Actually, both sync to and from the Amazon server, not directly to each other. I always press the sync button on each when starting and finishing with each device. If one does not do that, then the sync may be delayed until the server gets around to initiating the sync.

When pressing the sync button on the Kindle Keyboard, one must be sure the WiFi connection bars show first. They take a few seconds to show up. If one tries to sync it before the WiFi bars show, the Kindle Keyboard freezes.
I have no problem syncing to Kindle to Kindle just Kindle to Kindle Fire. This is a well known issue.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Wow just read on the Amazon help page that the new Kindle Fires have access to the Cloud drive!

Quote:
Amazon Cloud Drive

If you use Amazon Cloud Drive, documents you save to Cloud Drive will appear on the Cloud tab of Docs On your Kindle Fire. You can then tap to download to your device.

For more information, see www.amazon.com/clouddrive
That's an incentive to upgrade right there.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Wow just read on the Amazon help page that the new Kindle Fires have access to the Cloud drive!

That's an incentive to upgrade right there.
Except for the downside -- there are reports of sideloaded apps not installing. Hopefully root will be possible even if custom ROMs are not.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Not an issue with me. I don't use apps much but the personal documents covers and sync issue if not fix is a deal breaker for me.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've side loaded non-Amazon books using ES Explorer - that load into the Documents section [I never got around to tweaking the metadata] - and the covers show up on the carousel just dandy. And on the Documents tab too.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update on covers:

When I downloaded non-Amazon books from Dropbox into Documents, they initially displayed covers both on the Carousel & in Documents. Then some of them vanished and were replaced with a generic white cover with "Kindle" in orange type - in both locations. Shutting down the Fire and restarting restored the covers.

So apparently the covers "timed out"? Or the intermittent bug is still there.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?

And ... the Special Offers that you sign up for are listed on the Documents tab.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Update on covers:

When I downloaded non-Amazon books from Dropbox into Documents, they initially displayed covers both on the Carousel & in Documents. Then some of them vanished and were replaced with a generic white cover with "Kindle" in orange type - in both locations. Shutting down the Fire and restarting restored the covers.

So apparently the covers "timed out"? Or the intermittent bug is still there.
No that's a new one. The white cover bug is when you send personal documents via email or send to Kindle add on. They show up without their cover replaced by a white cover with the title of the book in black text.

I've never had sideloaded books via dropbox or USB lose their cover. The only problem with sideloaded is they don't sync.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Update: after shutting down/rebooting the FireHD, the book covers are still on the carousel, but the Documents tab displays only the generic white cover.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Update: after shutting down/rebooting the FireHD, the book covers are still on the carousel, but the Documents tab displays only the generic white cover.
So they haven't fixed anything really. What about Sync. Can you now Sync Kindle to Kindle Fire?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I will try to Sync tonight - are you interested in syncing side-loaded books/documents between an Eink Kindle to the FireHD?