Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
firstclown
firstclown began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Favorite Fonts

I've been looking for some fonts that work well with the Gen3. Here are a couple of my favorites:

My biggest disappointment was finding Charpentier Renaissance Pro, Regular - http://www.abstractfonts.com/font/12660. It's a great looking font, but it doesn't have any punctuation!

So what do you use?
firstclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I use Lucida Sans. A friend recommended it since it is designed for working with low resolution devices and I really liked it. I just copied the font files from a Windows installation.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
I'm using the Liberation Fonts. They aren't as gorgeous as Goudy Bookletter, but they are way more complete - I like my fonts to support the full set of accented Latin characters used in Europe. Also, I think the 800x600 e-ink screen is too low-res to use serif fonts for anything but chapter headings and the like. So far, the serif fonts I tried didn't work for the main text for me.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My favourite is a font family called "Georgia" which I think comes with Microsoft Office. That's what I'm using on my Gen3. It has lovely italics.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I use Lucida Sans. A friend recommended it since it is designed for working with low resolution devices and I really liked it. I just copied the font files from a Windows installation.
That's the same reason I use Lucida Bright (and because I like it), it's the serif variant.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Palatino Linotype. Looks great and it was already in my Windows fonts folder.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A tip - when you add a font, add all the members of the "family"; this will generally be the basic font, plus its bold, italic, and bold-italic versions (ie four files in all). The Gen3 will still only show one extra "font name", but will use the correct versions of the font for bold, italic, and bold italic text. These will generally look much nicer than the version which will be synthesised if the real fonts aren't there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

I think, I've read somewhere that the Cybook will not synthesise the italics and bold text – they appear as normal text when the real italic and bold fonts aren't there. Not sure about that though ...
Old 03-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I agree with Harry. The Georgia font is easier on my eyes. However I did add a stylized script font, just because I could. I may use it to display some of my own poems and other short writings if/when I show them to friends.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
I think, I've read somewhere that the Cybook will not synthesise the italics and bold text – they appear as normal text when the real italic and bold fonts aren't there. Not sure about that though ...
I can attest to that as far as the italics are concerned: I use the alphabetum font, which doesn't have italics. A text with italics appears as normal text when I use the alphabetum font.
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
firstclown
firstclown began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Yes, I did testing on this too and it doesn't synthesis bold or italics. I guess I didn't realize how important that was!

Now I've fallen back to New Century Schoolbook because I have the whole family for that font.

If you want the whole font, including italics, bold and bold-italics, you'll need four files:
  • Regular
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Bold Italic

So for New Century Schoolbook, I have the files:
  • Century Schoolbook L,
  • Century Schoolbook L, Bold
  • Century Schoolbook L, Bold Italic
  • Century Schoolbook L, Italic

Now to find a good Baskerville.
firstclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #12
IceHand
Linux User

You can't find Baskerville here, but some other fonts which might suit your taste:
Some freely available high quality fonts

I settled on Palatino Linotype though which isn't free, but looks best on the Cybook IMHO.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
Pumpa
Enthusiast
Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Sony PRS-500
Also i need Unicode fonts for showing accented characters...
Pumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My favourite is a font family called "Georgia" which I think comes with Microsoft Office. That's what I'm using on my Gen3. It has lovely italics.
Harry,

....can't seem to find the 'Georgia' font on my XP laptop running MS Office 2003. Might you be running Office 2007?

-tnx,

Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Harry,

....can't seem to find the 'Georgia' font on my XP laptop running MS Office 2003. Might you be running Office 2007?

-tnx,

Jeff
It's one of the two fonts that come installed on the Cybook. Wonder if it could be copied out & used with MS Word?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote